Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

  1. #1

    Default Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    I recently switched my laptop to Suse 13.1, I'm used to using Debian but it didn't work very well on the laptop.

    I followed the guide on Smithfarm to the letter, everything worked but when I try to run:

    $ optirun /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover

    It says 'error cannot access secundary GPU ... NVIDIA: ...'

    cat /var/log/messages shows me failed to load module "nvidia", no driver available, no screens found.

    lspci | grep 'VGA' outputs 2 lines:
    00:02.0 VGA etc Intel
    01:00.0 VGA NVIDIA etc

    In /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia it mentions PCI bus ID, I uncommented it and tried:
    BusID "PCI:01:00:0" <-- this was default, but commented out.
    BusID "PCI:01:00.0"
    BusID "01:00.0"

    These didn't help ... so I commented that line out again.

    I checked whether Nvidia stuff was installed:
    $ zypper se nvidia
    i dkms-nvidia
    i x11-video-nvidia

    I'm not sure what to check next. Oh ... I'm member of the video and bumblebee groups. Bumbleed.service is running, I checked with
    # systemctl status bumblebeed.service

    I'd appreciate some help with this, gaming doesn't work very well on the Intel .

    Thanks!!
    Last edited by AnarKist; 28-Mar-2014 at 06:35. Reason: formatting was messed up

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,814

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    Hello and welcome.

    Though I can not help you personaly (I have no doubt others will come here and try), I want to give you some information on how to post computer output (of which you posted several, thank you) here in the forums (for next time!).

    Please copy/paste that output straight from your terminal window in between CODE tags in the post. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post editor.

    When possible copy/paste the prompt, the command and the next prompt in one sweep. Then there is no need for you to tell: "command xyz gives me ...", because it is all there.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Hello and welcome.

    Though I can not help you personaly (I have no doubt others will come here and try), I want to give you some information on how to post computer output (of which you posted several, thank you) here in the forums (for next time!).

    Please copy/paste that output straight from your terminal window in between CODE tags in the post. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar of the post editor.

    When possible copy/paste the prompt, the command and the next prompt in one sweep. Then there is no need for you to tell: "command xyz gives me ...", because it is all there.
    Thanks Henk. I usually do that, but I was lazy because I had to type everything over on another machine as I couldn't post from the machine having the problems, so I was constantly having to gooseneck over at the other screen, it was annoying .

    I first posted the question as a comment over at blogspot and copy/pasted here.

    Thanks for the welcome!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skogås Sweden
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarKist View Post
    I recently switched my laptop to Suse 13.1, I'm used to using Debian but it didn't work very well on the laptop.

    I followed the guide on Smithfarm to the letter, everything worked but when I try to run:

    $ optirun /opt/cxoffice/bin/crossover

    It says 'error cannot access secundary GPU ... NVIDIA: ...'

    cat /var/log/messages shows me failed to load module "nvidia", no driver available, no screens found.

    lspci | grep 'VGA' outputs 2 lines:
    00:02.0 VGA etc Intel
    01:00.0 VGA NVIDIA etc

    In /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia it mentions PCI bus ID, I uncommented it and tried:
    BusID "PCI:01:00:0" <-- this was default, but commented out.
    BusID "PCI:01:00.0"
    BusID "01:00.0"

    These didn't help ... so I commented that line out again.

    I checked whether Nvidia stuff was installed:
    $ zypper se nvidia
    i dkms-nvidia
    i x11-video-nvidia

    I'm not sure what to check next. Oh ... I'm member of the video and bumblebee groups. Bumbleed.service is running, I checked with
    # systemctl status bumblebeed.service

    I'd appreciate some help with this, gaming doesn't work very well on the Intel .

    Thanks!!
    I've never had to poke with xorg.conf for Bumblebee, so the problem is probably not there. I se no 32-bit versions for Nvidia, although I know nothing about crossover I would recommend to open up the Laptop repo in Yast and install all 32-bit related, there's more 32-bit only code out there then you would believe. This might not solve your problem but it will rule out some possibilities for it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    Thanks. Appreciate the help.

    While going over the logs I found some other error messages. In my attempts to fix I removed the nvidia packages and installed the bumblebee-nvidia package. I think it broke more than it fixed.

    I reinstalled the laptop (it was a clean install anyways) and instead of following the entire guide on that Smith blog, I only installed the bumblebee, primus, dkms and nvidia packages.

    Everything seems to work now.

    If I find that it slurps too much power I'll look into it again and see what I can do. For now, I just want things to work properly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skogås Sweden
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarKist View Post
    Thanks. Appreciate the help.

    While going over the logs I found some other error messages. In my attempts to fix I removed the nvidia packages and installed the bumblebee-nvidia package. I think it broke more than it fixed.

    I reinstalled the laptop (it was a clean install anyways) and instead of following the entire guide on that Smith blog, I only installed the bumblebee, primus, dkms and nvidia packages.

    Everything seems to work now.

    If I find that it slurps too much power I'll look into it again and see what I can do. For now, I just want things to work properly.
    The basic idea with Bumblebee is to save power and keep the laptop from running too hot, performance is just a bonus, so at least test the dkms-bbswitch package.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    The Crossover application uses WINE for installing and running Windows programs and games on Linux.
    My Linux Box
    OS:
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    OS:
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

  8. #8

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    Crossover seems to work well with optirun or primusrun.

    cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch says the card is OFF, before and after I ran a game via optirun/primusrun. It seems to work properly, fan turns down shortly after I close a game. I can do optirun firefox and check the output in a console, it will show ON.

    The thing is, on Suse all the games seem to perform quite a bit less than on Mint/Ubuntu. The performance isn't any better than using the integrated intel GPU.

    I know bumblebee isn't primarily about performance but how else am I supposed to run games on the Nvidia card? I can't make it primary in the BIOS or disable the intel.

    optirun /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag shows its using the Nvidia, its definitely not using the intel.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Bumblebee - cant access secundary GPU

    When I tried to switch Nvidia drivers, I ran into an issue mentioned elsewhere on the forums and left unresolved (zypper, mv cannot move directory not empty). I decided to reinstall once more.

    I installed the proper drivers, including 32-bit versions which are required with bumblebee/primusrun if you're running 32-bit applications like Wine or Steam.

    Everything works and its fast too. I'l mark the thread resolved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •