No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

Hi all.

So the internet suddenly quit working in KDE, but works in Gnome on the same computer. Strange! This happened just a little while ago today. Been working fine for at least a year.

Internet connectivity: wireless through a wireless router

Troubleshooting performed:

• Checked internet in Firefox and Chrome: none work
  • Tried to access wireless router’s internal webpage: works fine. Just can’t get past the router to the outside world (DNS issue?)
  • Rebooted router and internet modem: same result
  • Checked /etc/resolve.conf: correct DNS servers are listed
  • Tried to access internet in Gnome: WORKS fine!
  • Stopped and started network while logged into KDE: nope.
  • Ran zypper update while logged onto Gnome account: system update but internet in KDE still not working

I’m stumped. It was working fine, then POOF. Stopped working. Any ideas? I’m posting this thread from Gnome.

Compare output of

/sbin/route -n

between KDE and Gnome session.

Maybe you don’t have network manager configured yet for wireless connection in KDE?

I’m stumped. It was working fine, then POOF. Stopped working. Any ideas? I’m posting this thread from Gnome.

Hmmm… I have very occasionally had a polkit or kwallet issue occur, which prevented the necessary authentication to connect. An examination of /var/log/NetworkManager should reveal the definitive cause here. Have you tried a reboot yet?

I am still not sure about the diagnose:

Just can’t get past the router to the outside world (DNS issue?)

Thses are two different things. Trying to get past your router you do of course using IP addresses, e.g.

ping -c1 8.8.8.8

A DNS problem means that ths system can not translate host.domainnames into IP addresses. That will of course hamper the end-users actions going e.g. with a browser to forums.opensuse.org, but does not mean that you can not get past your router. Try with e.g.

host forums.opensuse.org

In general saying things like “No internet access” but not explaining what you did, what you expected to happen and what happpened instead, is a useless problem report. You are not asked to know all these tests, but when you do not explain how you jumped to a conclusion helping is realy difficult.

That was it. My router’s IP address is x.x.x.254 and my server’s IP address is x.x.x.1. My router is the gateway. The route in the Gnome session showed x.x.x.254 as the gateway, therefore it worked there. The route in KDE was x.x.x.1 for some reason. I did not change it so I don’t know what happened or why. I deleted the network connection from Network Manager in KDE and reconnected to the router. All is well now.

Thank you very much, sir. You nailed it! :slight_smile:

I thought I explained things pretty well actually. Deano_ferrari was able to decipher what I meant just fine.

Neither here nor there, though. It’s fixed.

Good result!