Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

  1. #1

    Default No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    Hi all.

    So the internet suddenly quit working in KDE, but works in Gnome on the same computer. Strange! This happened just a little while ago today. Been working fine for at least a year.

    OS: OpenSuSE 12.3 32-bit with KDE and Gnome installed.
    Internet connectivity: wireless through a wireless router

    Troubleshooting performed:
    - Checked internet in Firefox and Chrome: none work
    - Tried to access wireless router's internal webpage: works fine. Just can't get past the router to the outside world (DNS issue?)
    - Rebooted router and internet modem: same result
    - Checked /etc/resolve.conf: correct DNS servers are listed
    - Tried to access internet in Gnome: WORKS fine!
    - Stopped and started network while logged into KDE: nope.
    - Ran zypper update while logged onto Gnome account: system update but internet in KDE still not working

    I'm stumped. It was working fine, then POOF. Stopped working. Any ideas? I'm posting this thread from Gnome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
    Hi all.

    So the internet suddenly quit working in KDE, but works in Gnome on the same computer. Strange! This happened just a little while ago today. Been working fine for at least a year.

    OS: OpenSuSE 12.3 32-bit with KDE and Gnome installed.
    Internet connectivity: wireless through a wireless router

    Troubleshooting performed:
    - Checked internet in Firefox and Chrome: none work
    - Tried to access wireless router's internal webpage: works fine. Just can't get past the router to the outside world (DNS issue?)
    - Rebooted router and internet modem: same result
    - Checked /etc/resolve.conf: correct DNS servers are listed
    - Tried to access internet in Gnome: WORKS fine!
    - Stopped and started network while logged into KDE: nope.
    - Ran zypper update while logged onto Gnome account: system update but internet in KDE still not working

    I'm stumped. It was working fine, then POOF. Stopped working. Any ideas? I'm posting this thread from Gnome.
    Compare output of
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    between KDE and Gnome session.

    Maybe you don't have network manager configured yet for wireless connection in KDE?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    I'm stumped. It was working fine, then POOF. Stopped working. Any ideas? I'm posting this thread from Gnome.
    Hmmm... I have very occasionally had a polkit or kwallet issue occur, which prevented the necessary authentication to connect. An examination of /var/log/NetworkManager should reveal the definitive cause here. Have you tried a reboot yet?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,818

    Default Re: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    I am still not sure about the diagnose:
    Just can't get past the router to the outside world (DNS issue?)
    Thses are two different things. Trying to get past your router you do of course using IP addresses, e.g.
    Code:
    ping -c1 8.8.8.8
    A DNS problem means that ths system can not translate host.domainnames into IP addresses. That will of course hamper the end-users actions going e.g. with a browser to forums.opensuse.org, but does not mean that you can not get past your router. Try with e.g.
    Code:
    host forums.opensuse.org
    In general saying things like "No internet access" but not explaining what you did, what you expected to happen and what happpened instead, is a useless problem report. You are not asked to know all these tests, but when you do not explain how you jumped to a conclusion helping is realy difficult.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Compare output of
    Code:
    /sbin/route -n
    between KDE and Gnome session.
    That was it. My router's IP address is x.x.x.254 and my server's IP address is x.x.x.1. My router is the gateway. The route in the Gnome session showed x.x.x.254 as the gateway, therefore it worked there. The route in KDE was x.x.x.1 for some reason. I did not change it so I don't know what happened or why. I deleted the network connection from Network Manager in KDE and reconnected to the router. All is well now.

    Thank you very much, sir. You nailed it!

  6. #6

    Default Re: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    In general saying things like "No internet access" but not explaining what you did, what you expected to happen and what happpened instead, is a useless problem report.
    I thought I explained things pretty well actually. Deano_ferrari was able to decipher what I meant just fine.

    Neither here nor there, though. It's fixed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No Internet Access in KDE but Works In Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
    Thank you very much, sir. You nailed it!
    Good result!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •