Network issue running 13.3 as guest in Parallels

I am running 13.3 without X (so no NetworkManager). So on install of 13.3 the network works fine. After I update all the packages the network no longer works.When I run dhcpcd eth0 suddenly it starts working. You can see below the log from when network starts up it seems to be related to dhcpcd not running by default? Why would that be so? I did notice it doesn’t seem to be configured to start automatically?

network.service - LSB: Configure network interfaces and set up routing
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/network.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2014-03-25 18:20:12 CDT; 5min ago
  Process: 552 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/network start (code=exited, status=7)
 Main PID: 552 (code=exited, status=7)
   CGroup: /system.slice/network.service

Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv network[552]: eth0      cable is connected
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv network[552]: eth0      DHCP4 client NOT running
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv network[552]: eth0      is up
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv network[552]: ..failed    eth0      interface could not be set up until now
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv network[552]: ..failedSetting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  ...failed
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv systemd[1]: network.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=7/NOTRUNNING
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv ifplugd(eth0)[968]: Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action eth0 down'.
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv ifplugd(eth0)[968]: Killing child.
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Configure network interfaces and set up routing.
Mar 25 18:20:12 linux-ipuv systemd[1]: Unit network.service entered failed state.

A time traveler from the future? Or did you mean 13.1?

If you changed the network configuration, maybe you did so in a way such that it didn’t think it was necessary to run a dhcp client. It’s hard to know without more information on what you did.

If you assigned an IP address, then it probably doesn’t run a dhcp client.

You can try restarting the network service with

systemctl restart network.service

Does it maybe work when you set the interface to start “on boot” instead of “on cable-connect”?

See also the following bug reports:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=869213
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=869425

First, whether you run any kind of X server or not has no bearing on whether you might run network manager or not. NM can run from the command line just fine.

As for what you’re observing, it may be related to something I’ve been seeing for the past month or so which is unrelated to the virtualization technology…
I strongly suspect that something is starting up out of order, and it doesn’t seem to be consistent. It will happen inconsistently regardless of Desktop (it’s happening in my text-only, minimal X and less often LXDE Guests) without any pattern.

So, recently the first thing I’ve been doing on bootup is to check whether an IP address has been configured

# ip addr

If there is no IP address then I simply restart networking

# systemctl restart network

And then check for the IP address again.

TSU

Your right I cannot time travel so really I meant 13.1. I guess I was under the impression that NetworkManager was not the right solution for a server?

This issue actually started before I touched any network configuration. I just let it auto-configure everything. After running updates it always gets into this state.

It is resolved though now. Setting it to start on boot-up instead of cable-connect solved the issue. Thanks wolfi323