Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia woes

Default Nvidia woes

Hi,
    System is SuSe 13.1 3.11.10-7 KDE 4.11.5 Phenom QC 9950 8GB RAM on Asus M3A32-MVP
    Gfx card Nvidia GeForce 9500GT

System was running well using the default Nouveau Gfx driver, but some reason in a moment of madness I decided I would install the Nvidia driver.
    Being a tad lazy I used the 1 click method which installed Driver version 331.49 - seems to me to be the appropriate one for my chip.

However since using this driver I have been plagued with random freezes requiring a reboot of the system. These typically but not always happen when scrolling web pages, although it can occur completely randomly even when there is no obvious 'on screen' activity. The result is that the image is still on the screen and sometimes I can move the mouse cursor, but keyboard or mouse clicks do not get a response. Sometimes the display image will fragment too. There is no set time interval that this will occur - sometimes it will behave for half a day or more other times it will freeze up 2 or 3 times in just an hour.

I am doubtful that this issue can be resolved - the nvidai settings are currently at default and I dont see anything obvious to change that could help with this issue. My HP LA2306x screen is also correctly identified.

Given that I was quite happy with the nouveau driver I would like to revert back to it but I am a little stuck on how to restore the nouveau driver again. Yast will helpfully un-install the Nvidia driver but when I reboot I only get as far as run level 3 and dumped in terminal prompt window....... startX no longer seems to be a command that is recognised so all I could do then was reboot and select one of the four Suse Advanced boot options which at least then did get me into a graphical environment - albeit at a horribly low resolution, but at least good enough to let me use Yast to re-install the flaky Nvidia driver.

So unless someone knows a tweak to get the Nvidia driver to work reliably, what I_really_need_to_know is how to get back to using the reliable nouveau driver again..

Thanks
    Chris

Default Re: Nvidia woes

Quote Originally Posted by shadychris View Post
    So unless someone knows a tweak to get the Nvidia driver to work reliably, what I_really_need_to_know is how to get back to using the reliable nouveau driver again..
    Most probably you created an /etc/X11/xorg.conf . Remove that file and your system should boot again using nouveau.

But actually the nvidia driver should run stable on your system. I guess something went wrong during installation.
    Since you already uninstalled it, it won't be possible to troubleshoot this anymore though.

Blog Entries

Re. the black screen:
    - the nouveau driver is probably still blacklisted. Have in look in /etc/modprobe.d/, look for a *blacklist-nouveau.conf file, or look for blacklisted nouveau driver in 50-blacklist.conf in the same folder.
    - another remainder of the NVIDIA installer can be modesetting being disabled. Yast - System - Sysconfig editor, search for "KMS", set found variable to "no"
    Reboot.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Most probably you created an /etc/X11/xorg.conf . Remove that file and your system should boot again using nouveau.

But actually the nvidia driver should run stable on your system. I guess something went wrong during installation.
    Since you already uninstalled it, it won't be possible to troubleshoot this anymore though.

Well actually as I said the only way I could get a gui again was to boot one of the advanced options and re-install the Nvidia driver - so yes it IS installed now so I'm up for any troubleshooting ideas you may have.....

Chris

Blog Entries

Well actually as I said the only way I could get a gui again was to boot one of the advanced options and re-install the Nvidia driver - so yes it IS installed now so I'm up for any troubleshooting ideas you may have.....

Chris
    Again, check the "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD" setting in Yast - System - Sysconfig editor. I've seen cases where the NVIDIA install set it to "yes", and it shouldn't do that, since the NVIDIA driver supports modesetting.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Again, check the "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD" setting in Yast - System - Sysconfig editor. I've seen cases where the NVIDIA install set it to "yes", and it shouldn't do that, since the NVIDIA driver supports modesetting.
    I guess you confused something there...

The nvidia driver DOES NOT support kernel modesetting.

And "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes" was even set intentionally by the openSUSE packages, but this has been changed recently:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=864701

But when this is still set to "yes" it can cause problems with nouveau (that's why I filed that bug report).
    So set this to "no" if necessary, but you have to run "sudo /sbin/mkinitrd" fro the change to take effect. For nvidia it should not matter.

And please post the output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "(kernel|nvidia)"
    And again: have you checked whether you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If this is present (and specifies the nvidia driver) it will cause X failing to start when the nvidia driver is not installed.

I guess you confused something there...

The nvidia driver DOES NOT support kernel modesetting.

And "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes" was even set intentionally by the openSUSE packages, but this has been changed recently:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=864701

But when this is still set to "yes" it can cause problems with nouveau (that's why I filed that bug report).
    So set this to "no" if necessary, but you have to run "sudo /sbin/mkinitrd" fro the change to take effect. For nvidia it should not matter.

And please post the output of:
    Output of
    Code:

And again: have you checked whether you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If this is present (and specifies the nvidia driver) it will cause X failing to start when the nvidia driver is not installed.

Yes, and now I am confused too... ;-)
    I'm unsure as to whether Knurpht reply was aimed at getting me to be able to uninstall the Nvidia driver and boot successfully into the GUI using the default nouveau driver, or whether he is trying to help me troubleshoot the problem with the installed Nvidia driver......

Could any further responses please state clearly whether they are advice to reboot correctly after uninstalling Nvidia - or just things to do to try and get Nvidia to work reliably.

Output of
    Code:
    Code:
    nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.49_k3.11.6_4-29.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.6-23.1.3.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    nvidia-glG03-331.49-29.1.x86_64
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.8-4.9.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG03-331.49-29.1.x86_64
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.49_k3.11.6_4-29.1.x86_64
    x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.49-29.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    Yes I do have an xorg.conf specifying the nvidia driver - so if uninstall nvidia I guess you are inferring I also need to delete this file?
    and I guess also that if I uninstall nvidia drivers with Yast and delete xorg.conf I dont have to worry about the
    NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes setting as that is not relevant for nouveau??
    I read somewhere that I should add the nomodeset option to grub at boot up but this didnt seem to offered as an available command when I tried to do that by hitting e at the grub screen..

/etc/modprobe.d/ does not contain a blacklist-nouveau.conf file and nor is the nouveau driver listed in the 50-blacklist file... Is this OK given that I am actually using the Nvidia driver??
    What I do see in the 50-blacklist file is nvidiafb
    However also in modprobe.d is nvidia-desktop conf which contains just the single line <blacklist nouveau>

Chris

Output of
    Code:
    Code:
    nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.49_k3.11.6_4-29.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.6-23.1.3.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    nvidia-glG03-331.49-29.1.x86_64
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.8-4.9.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG03-331.49-29.1.x86_64
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.49_k3.11.6_4-29.1.x86_64
    x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.49-29.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    I don't think you should have BOTH of those packages installed.
    Please uninstall the first and then re-install install nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop:
    Code:
    sudo rpm -e nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-desktop
    sudo zypper in -f nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop
    Maybe that helps?

If not, please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Yes I do have an xorg.conf specifying the nvidia driver - so if uninstall nvidia I guess you are inferring I also need to delete this file?
    Yes.
    And even with nvidia, you don't need this file.

and I guess also that if I uninstall nvidia drivers with Yast and delete xorg.conf I dont have to worry about the
    NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes setting as that is not relevant for nouveau??
    Well, in theory you shouldn't. But I have seen problems with nouveau when this is set to "yes".
    And the nvidia driver doesn't need it anyway.
    So better set it to no if it isn't.

I read somewhere that I should add the nomodeset option to grub at boot up but this didnt seem to offered as an available command when I tried to do that by hitting e at the grub screen..
    No that's not necessary. The blacklist should take care of preventing nouveau from loading.

/etc/modprobe.d/ does not contain a blacklist-nouveau.conf file and nor is the nouveau driver listed in the 50-blacklist file... Is this OK given that I am actually using the Nvidia driver??
    The nvidia rpms create a file called nvidia-desktop.conf for blacklisting nouveau.

That I do see in the 50-blacklist file is nvidiafb
    That's something completely different.

However also in modprobe.d is nvidia-desktop conf which contains just the single line <blacklist nouveau>
    Yes. This is created by the nvidia driver RPMs to prevent the loading of nouveau. If that's done you don't need "nomodeset".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Mar-2014 at 12:00.

I don't think you should have BOTH of those packages installed.
    Please uninstall the first and then re-install install nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop:
    Code:
    sudo rpm -e nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-desktop
    sudo zypper in -f nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop
    Maybe that helps?

If not, please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Yes.
    And even with nvidia, you don't need this file.

Well, in theory you shouldn't. But I have seen problems with nouveau when this is set to "yes".
    And the nvidia driver doesn't need it anyway.
    So better set it to no if it isn't.

No that's not necessary. The blacklist should take care of preventing nouveau from loading.

The nvidia rpms create a file called nvidia-desktop.conf for blacklisting nouveau.

That's something completely different.

Yes. This is created by the nvidia driver RPMs to prevent the loading of nouveau. If that's done you don't need "nomodeset".
    Thanks Wolfi - legend answer!! So for now I have uninstalled the UVM version and reinstalled the other one as suggested. I've also checked the NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and that was already set to 'no'. About to reboot it now so I'll see how it behaves itself tomorrow. It would be nice to get the Nvidia driver reliable as there is a discernible difference in the sharpness and clarity of fonts.

Thanks again for the help so far.

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks Wolfi - legend answer!! So for now I have uninstalled the UVM version and reinstalled the other one as suggested. I've also checked the NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and that was already set to 'no'. About to reboot it now so I'll see how it behaves itself tomorrow. It would be nice to get the Nvidia driver reliable as there is a discernible difference in the sharpness and clarity of fonts.

Thanks again for the help so far.

Cheers
    Chris
    Afraid to say the problem is still with me - if anything it seems worse since uninstalling the UVM driver and refreshing the other one. Instead of teh screen simply freezing now the display goes completely crazy fashing black with elements of the images garishly displayed at low resolutions before completely locking up or a new one today, logging me out....

3rd attempt now to post this - last time when trying to submit my Xorg.0.log I receievd an error saying my post had too many lines so I'll try again now and post it in 2 seperate sections.....

Code:
    :~> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [    47.803] 
    This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
    It is not supported in any way.
    Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
    Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
    Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
    latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
    See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.
    [    47.803] 
    X.Org X Server 1.14.3.901 (1.14.4 RC 1)
    Release Date: 2013-10-26
    [    47.803] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    [    47.803] Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
    [    47.803] Current Operating System: Linux phy-katana 3.11.10-7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 3 09:41:24 UTC 2014 (750023e) x86_64
    [    47.803] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.10-7-desktop root=UUID=7eeccad6-76a1-4c58-9402-7a29ef53e663 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AAKS-55V0A0_WD-WCAWFD841844-part1 splash=silent quiet showopts
    [    47.803] Build Date: 19 December 2013  01:42:00PM
    [    47.803]  
    [    47.803] Current version of pixman: 0.30.2
    [    47.803]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
            to make sure that you have the latest version.
    [    47.803] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
            (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
            (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    [    47.803] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Mar 26 08:42:13 2014
    [    47.803] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    [    47.803] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    [    47.803] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    [    47.881] (==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
    [    47.881] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
    [    47.881] (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
    [    47.881] (**) |   |-->Device "Device0"
    [    47.881] (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
    [    47.881] (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
    [    47.881] (==) Automatically adding devices
    [    47.881] (==) Automatically enabling devices
    [    47.881] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
    [    47.882] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/sgi" does not exist.
    [    47.882]    Entry deleted from font path.
    [    47.882] (==) FontPath set to:
            /usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled,
            /usr/share/fonts/Type1/,
            /usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
            /usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
            /usr/share/fonts/ghostscript/,
            /usr/share/fonts/cyrillic:unscaled,
            /usr/share/fonts/truetype/,
            built-ins
    [    47.882] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/updates,/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
    [    47.882] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
    [    47.882] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
    [    47.882] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
    [    47.882] (II) Loader magic: 0x803c20
    [    47.882] (II) Module ABI versions:
    [    47.882]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
    [    47.882]    X.Org Video Driver: 14.1
    [    47.882]    X.Org XInput driver : 19.1
    [    47.882]    X.Org Server Extension : 7.0
    [    47.882] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
    [    47.883] (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0640:1682:400a rev 161, Mem @ 0xfd000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfa000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x00007800/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XTEST
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension SYNC
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension RANDR
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension RECORD
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension DPMS
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XVideo
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
    [    47.883] Initializing built-in extension DRI2
    [    47.883] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
    [    47.932] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/updates/extensions/libglx.so
    [    49.134] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    [    49.134]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    [    49.134]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
    [    49.134] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  331.49  Wed Feb 12 20:17:10 PST 2014
    [    49.149] Loading extension GLX
    [    49.149] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
    [    49.168] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/updates/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
    [    49.447] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    [    49.447]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    [    49.447]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [    49.461] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  331.49  Wed Feb 12 19:57:36 PST 2014
    [    49.461] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
    [    49.483] (++) using VT number 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast