Thread: creating a wifi hotspot ap mode

Question creating a wifi hotspot ap mode

hello opensuse experts and users , I want to create a wifi hotspot access point , not ad-hoc mode , i am using opensuse 12.3 kde . I tried an app called WIFI Hostapd AP but it does not work , the message error

is failed to start hostapd .. so if someone set up an access point before please tell me how to do it step by step ... i want to connect my nintendo 3DS to my opensuse 12.3 machine ,, thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: creating a wifi hotspot ap mode

I'd still recommend hostapd.

If you see an error, you need to either post the error exactly, upload a screenshot to something a pastebin or describe <exactly> what you see.
    And, of course, you need to describe <exactly> what you did immediately prior to the error.

So, for instance it's anyone's guess whether
    - You really installed hostapd (from where?)
    - If you followed any instructions or if you tried to do this own your own
    - If you configured it
    - If you know how to start it
    - If you verified it started if you did attempt to start
    - If you know how to test a started service (hostapd)

HTH,
    TSU

thanks for your answer shaman penguin , i did install hostapd and dnsmasq with zypper , i know how to start a service for ex /etc/init.d/servicename start but i dont know how to configure it meaning editing the config file,

what i want is if you can give me a little explanation of howto do it or just the right hostapd.conf and dnsmasq.conf , i succeeded to create a hotspot with lubuntu 13 , just by following a youtube video .. but my favorite

distro is opensuse .. i know there are some difference in the way the configure file .. forget about the gui app , you can give the tuto in text mode ;

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I'd still recommend hostapd.

If you see an error, you need to either post the error exactly, upload a screenshot to something a pastebin or describe <exactly> what you see.
    And, of course, you need to describe <exactly> what you did immediately prior to the error.

So, for instance it's anyone's guess whether
    - You really installed hostapd (from where?)
    - If you followed any instructions or if you tried to do this own your own
    - If you configured it
    - If you know how to start it
    - If you verified it started if you did attempt to start
    - If you know how to test a started service (hostapd)

HTH,
    TSU

thanks for your answer shaman penguin , i did install hostapd and dnsmasq with zypper , i know how to start a service for ex /etc/init.d/servicename start but i dont know how to configure it meaning editing the config file,

what i want is if you can give me a little explanation of howto do it or just the right hostapd.conf and dnsmasq.conf , i succeeded to create a hotspot with lubuntu 13 , just by following a youtube video .. but my favorite

distro is opensuse .. i know there are some difference in the way the configure file .. forget about the gui app , you can give the tuto in text mode ;

thanks again