Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox - video capture not working

Question Virtualbox - video capture not working

Hi,

Did anyone of you tried to use virtualbox video capture? I have the latest Oracle VB installed on opensuse 13.1x64 KDE but I can't record any videos. Whenever I enable it a tiny .webm is created which opened in mplayer shows just a green screen a nothing else. A small size of that file is surprising like it would have problems with encoding or something?? (ffmpeg is present). Same behavior with 3d enabled/disabled. I downloaded a sample webm video just to check if I have required codecs and it opened successfully. Logs dont show anything interesting. Any clue?

Thx.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Virtualbox - video capture not working

Some months back, with my Toshiba Ultrabook, I did a capture of a winXP session running under Virtualbox (inside an openSUSE-13.1 host). I used xvidcap running on openSUSE-13.1 to capture everything I wanted inside Virtualbox, and since the xvidcap audio was not working I dubbed in an audio track later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eproxy View Post
    Hi,

Did anyone of you tried to use virtualbox video capture? I have the latest Oracle VB installed on opensuse 13.1x64 KDE but I can't record any videos. Whenever I enable it a tiny .webm is created which opened in mplayer shows just a green screen a nothing else. A small size of that file is surprising like it would have problems with encoding or something?? (ffmpeg is present). Same behavior with 3d enabled/disabled. I downloaded a sample webm video just to check if I have required codecs and it opened successfully. Logs dont show anything interesting. Any clue?

Thx.
    You may or may not have the right codecs to play it. I didn't try mplayer,
    I just tried the same (VBox 4.3.8) and the video played fine in vlc player.
    I suspect an alternative could be to play in Chrome.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    You may or may not have the right codecs to play it. I didn't try mplayer,
    I just tried the same (VBox 4.3.8) and the video played fine in vlc player.
    I suspect an alternative could be to play in Chrome.
    No. I can reproduce the issue here, and the problem is definitely NOT in playing the video.

@eproxy:
    Are you using the openSUSE packages or are you using VirtualBox from Oracle?
    Maybe the openSUSE packages (which is what I use) are built without some necessary libraries (ffmpeg f.e.)?

PS: This seems to be a libvpx1 incompatibility (this is what VirtualBox uses to encode the video).
    When I downgrade the libvpx1 to the 1.2.0 version from the standard OSS repo, it works. But that of course breaks most other multimedia stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No. I can reproduce the issue here, and the problem is definitely NOT in playing the video.

@eproxy:
    Are you using the openSUSE packages or are you using VirtualBox from Oracle?
    Maybe the openSUSE packages (which is what I use) are built without some necessary libraries (ffmpeg f.e.)?
    Thank you for all replies.

I tried both, the package from opensuse from oracle website and the package from opensuse "virtualization" repo, same version, same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    PS: This seems to be a libvpx1 incompatibility (this is what VirtualBox uses to encode the video).
    When I downgrade the libvpx1 to the 1.2.0 version from the standard OSS repo, it works. But that of course breaks most other multimedia stuff...
    Great news (in a way ) libvpx came to my mind this morning, I will check it when I reach home. Might be worth to raise a ticket to Virtualbox.

Quote Originally Posted by eproxy View Post
    Great news (in a way ) libvpx came to my mind this morning, I will check it when I reach home. Might be worth to raise a ticket to Virtualbox.
    Well, I guess it would suffice to compile VirtualBox against libvpx1-1.3.0 to make it work with the libvpx1-1.3.0 from Packman.
    I will build a package later. (might take a while until the package is built though)

Maybe even the Factory version would work (Factory does already contain libvpx1-1.3.0)? But I guess there would be problems with the dependencies... I will try that as well nevertheless.

Good news!
    The Factory package installs and works fine on 13.1.
    And since it is built against libvpx1-1.3.0, recording does work with the libvpx1 from Packman.

But please, don't add the Factory repo to your system.
    Just download the "virtualbox" rpm either from Factory (http://download.opensuse.org/factory/), or the Virtualization repo for Factory (http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...enSUSE_Factory) and install it manually.
    You could even add the latter one to your system I think, because of YaST/zypper's vendor stickyness feature it should not cause problems.

But only install "virtualbox" from Factory, the KMP packages won't work of course as they are built for a different kernel.

Works perfect! Thank you very much for your help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast