Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot 13.1

Default Can't boot 13.1

Well, it's simple, I made the usb stick as per instruction (using the imagewriter), but I can't seem to boot the live 13.1: the boot menu is visible and I can choose language, set graphic or kernel options, but as soon I hit enter and the background image starts "pulsating"... nothing happens. Now, this is not the forst linux live env I play with, and this is a show stopper.
    My PC is BIOS based, so no EFI issues to think of, and anyway it wouldn't even show the menu if it was the case.
    I tried with another stick, it was the same.
    Can someone help me? Thanks.

Default Re: Can't boot 13.1

Somewhere you talk about "linux Live env". Can you expln which DVD image you put on that stick? The installation, or the Live KDE, or the Live Gnome, or ....?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Somewhere you talk about "linux Live env". Can you expln which DVD image you put on that stick? The installation, or the Live KDE, or the Live Gnome, or ....?
    I used openSUSE "Live Gnome", 13.1, 64bit.
    I also tried with the openSUSE "Factory GNOME Live", Build0117, 64bit.
    Both exibit the same issue.
    Any linux mint distro will work out of the box on my system, same for fedora or ubuntu, or debian (varius version, both 32bit or 64bit).

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon71 View Post
    Well, it's simple, I made the usb stick as per instruction (using the imagewriter), but I can't seem to boot the live 13.1: the boot menu is visible and I can choose language, set graphic or kernel options, but as soon I hit enter and the background image starts "pulsating"... nothing happens.
    What exactly do you mean with "pulsating"?
    Do you get to text mode when pressing 'ESC' there, or does it freeze completely?

IIUYC, this sounds like a graphics driver issue. What graphics chip do you have?

Have you tried to select "No KMS" at the boot menu? (press 'F3' for that)

For "pulsating" I mean that the image is changin its luminosity (that eyecandy works, tch).
    If I hit ESC it goes to a text prompt with a bunch of lines, that doesn't continue, just a blinking cursor on the last line.
    I don't think it's the chipset fault, it's a nvidia gtx660, and works perfectly both with the proprietary or the open driver (well, on other distros).
    I tried various combinations on both the graphic and kernel options. I will try again just the one you said, and report back.

If I hit ESC it goes to a text prompt with a bunch of lines, that doesn't continue, just a blinking cursor on the last line.
    And what messages would be in the last lines?

I don't think it's the chipset fault, it's a nvidia gtx660, and works perfectly both with the proprietary or the open driver (well, on other distros).
    Well, how good/well nouveau works might be very specific to the exact driver and kernel version.

Using "NoKMS" prevents the use of nouveau and should use fbdev instead. So at least it would rule out a graphics driver issue.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Mar-2014 at 06:36.

OK, I tried selecting "No KMS" at the boot menu, and got something different: a green progressbar.
    This actually updates and after a good while (6 minutes or so) it completes itself, the boot process continues and the DE loads.
    So I suspect it's just slow on that phase, doesn't matter what stick or usb port I use (well, I had the suspect it was an HW issue, but it was not).
    I then tried to boot with defaults, and wait too... and it boots in that case too, but it takes a whole 6 minutes in that case too.
    In both cases the DE feel slugghish, slow, and the boot time is awful (ok, it's "live", but it's just too slow).
    I remember trying openSUSE 12, it was slow, but not ilke that.
    Too bad, will try again in the future to see if things will get better, but as of now it's a show stopper.

In both cases the DE feel slugghish, slow, and the boot time is awful (ok, it's "live", but it's just too slow).
    I remember trying openSUSE 12, it was slow, but not ilke that.
    Too bad, will try again in the future to see if things will get better, but as of now it's a show stopper.
    Well, especially with GNOME3, the graphics driver can make a big difference. (I just noticed that at the weekend, when I tried a 13.1 GNOME installation in VirtualBox for the first time)

GNOME insists on using OpenGL, if the driver doesn't support it well enough (or Mesa's software rendering is used), everything gets sluggish.

Try a KDE LiveCD (that always worked fine for me even in VirtualBox ).
    You could also try to install it and then add the proprietary nvidia driver. I think it would be running well then either.

As to why the boot took so long, that's hard to say without further information.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Mar-2014 at 07:10.

Will KDE to check if it was that, could be interesting.
    The previous openSUSE I tried was indeed a KDE "variant", but I can't remember its performances.
    Virtualbox uh? since usb stick are cheap I prefer testing on real HW...

Virtualbox uh? since usb stick are cheap I prefer testing on real HW...
    But for testing an installation I prefer to be able to work on something else while it is installing, and switching back and forth between the testing system and the real system.
    Also I don't like to repartition my hard disk all the time, and I like to be able to use my hard disk space for other things than to reserve it for a testing partition that I don't use most of the time.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Mar-2014 at 07:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast