Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: How do I disable automatic updates?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,897
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    [QUOTE=jetchisel;2633082]I don't use Gnome but /usr/lib/packagekitd is the program that checks for update. I am on KDE btw and i just remove the executable bit on that program so it does not run :-).

    If you are using KDE, it is easy turn off automatic updates, though it has to be done by each user.

    Configure Desktop --> Startup and Shutdown --> Service Manager

    and uncheck the box for "Apper".

    If you are using 13.1, you also need to right click on the tray, select "System Tray Settings", and then uncheck the box for "Software Updater". That step is not needed for 12.3 or earlier.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  2. #32

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    [QUOTE=nrickert;2633086]
    Quote Originally Posted by jetchisel View Post
    I don't use Gnome but /usr/lib/packagekitd is the program that checks for update. I am on KDE btw and i just remove the executable bit on that program so it does not run :-).

    If you are using KDE, it is easy turn off automatic updates, though it has to be done by each user.

    Configure Desktop --> Startup and Shutdown --> Service Manager

    and uncheck the box for "Apper".

    If you are using 13.1, you also need to right click on the tray, select "System Tray Settings", and then uncheck the box for "Software Updater". That step is not needed for 12.3 or earlier.
    As i said i don't know / use Gnome but the packagekit is the program that is doing the refreshing of repos. If that is the case for Gnome then disabling packagekit might be a solution.

    Code:
    zypper info apper
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    
    Information for package apper:
    ------------------------------
    Repository: openSUSE-13.1-Update
    Name: apper
    Version: 0.8.1-11.7.1
    Arch: x86_64
    Vendor: openSUSE
    Installed: Yes
    Status: up-to-date
    Installed Size: 1.4 MiB
    Summary: KDE interface for PackageKit
    Description: 
    KDE interface for PackageKit package management.
    Apper is just a front end for packagekit according to that info :-), Disable the back end then apper will not make some noise regardless of which user is logged-in

  3. #33

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    [QUOTE=jetchisel;2633087]
    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

    As i said i don't know / use Gnome but the packagekit is the program that is doing the refreshing of repos. If that is the case for Gnome then disabling packagekit might be a solution.

    Apper is just a front end for packagekit according to that info :-), Disable the back end then apper will not make some noise regardless of which user is logged-in
    Well, yes. PackageKit refreshes the repos and installs the packages. But it doesn't do so on its own.
    It only does it when the frontend tells it to do so.

    As already has been mentioned, on GNOME this is done by gnome-session-daemon, you can set the refresh interval with "gpk-prefs".
    You can disable automatic downloads and even disable the updates plugin completely with dconf-editor.
    If the settings are ignored, it would be a bug. (haven't tested this)

    Of course your method works as well, but if you ever install an update to PackageKit, the file permissions of /usr/lib/packagekitd will be reset.
    On KDE it _is_ possible to uninstall PackageKit without removing half of KDE with it. (just apper needs it)
    You could just as well try to uninstall PackageKit on GNOME though, just choose to "break xxx by ignoring the dependencies".

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    On 2014-03-26 11:56, wolfi323 wrote:

    > Of course your method works as well, but if you ever install an update
    > to PackageKit, the file permissions of /usr/lib/packagekitd will be
    > reset.


    Just add a line to /etc/permissions.local :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  5. #35

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-03-26 11:56, wolfi323 wrote:

    > Of course your method works as well, but if you ever install an update
    > to PackageKit, the file permissions of /usr/lib/packagekitd will be
    > reset.


    Just add a line to /etc/permissions.local :-)
    Yes, that would work of course.

    But I think just disabling automatic downloading (or the updates plugin completely) is easier, even when you have to use dconf-editor for that.
    You could even still use gpk-update-viewer or other PackageKit-based applications manually if you wanted to.

    Btw, that dconf-editor really could need a search function...

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    On 2014-03-26 13:16, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2633139 Wrote:
    >> On 2014-03-26 11:56, wolfi323 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course your method works as well, but if you ever install an update
    >>> to PackageKit, the file permissions of /usr/lib/packagekitd will be
    >>> reset.

    >>
    >> Just add a line to /etc/permissions.local :-)
    >>

    > Yes, that would work of course.
    >
    > But I think just disabling automatic downloading (or the updates plugin
    > completely) is easier, even when you have to use dconf-editor for that.
    > You could even still use gpk-update-viewer or other PackageKit-based
    > applications manually if you wanted to.


    It is not system-wide. I hate the notion that other users in the system
    can even think of installing updates, that is my job. I can not
    configure a list of users that are allowed to use the update applet. So
    I remove the thing.

    I only keep it on some of the systems that I use for testing, and this
    finding will make me reconsider. Changing the permissions of the
    executable seems an easy thing to do, and has effect on all desktops.
    Ah! And it survives system upgrades.


    > Btw, that dconf-editor really could need a search function...


    To say the least...

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,253
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-03-26 13:16, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2633139 Wrote:
    >> On 2014-03-26 11:56, wolfi323 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course your method works as well, but if you ever install an update
    >>> to PackageKit, the file permissions of /usr/lib/packagekitd will be
    >>> reset.

    >>
    >> Just add a line to /etc/permissions.local :-)
    >>

    > Yes, that would work of course.
    >
    > But I think just disabling automatic downloading (or the updates plugin
    > completely) is easier, even when you have to use dconf-editor for that.
    > You could even still use gpk-update-viewer or other PackageKit-based
    > applications manually if you wanted to.


    It is not system-wide. I hate the notion that other users in the system
    can even think of installing updates, that is my job. I can not
    configure a list of users that are allowed to use the update applet. So
    I remove the thing.

    I only keep it on some of the systems that I use for testing, and this
    finding will make me reconsider. Changing the permissions of the
    executable seems an easy thing to do, and has effect on all desktops.
    Ah! And it survives system upgrades.
    Hi
    And not distribution wide either......?

    By creating branching/modifying/submitting an openSUSE branding package for the gnome-setting-daemon and reconfigure the upstream xml file to set the those options to false helps everyone?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How do I disable automatic updates?

    On 2014-03-26 14:06, malcolmlewis wrote:
    > Hi
    > And not distribution wide either......?
    >
    > By creating branching/modifying/submitting an openSUSE branding package
    > for the gnome-setting-daemon and reconfigure the upstream xml file to
    > set the those options to false helps everyone?


    I don't have the skills to do that.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •