Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suse Install Problems

Default Re: Suse Install Problems

It stops working on the Initial configuration phase. All the software seems to be installed just fine. The bios is old bios version not efi. Computer is to old for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglyph View Post
    It stops working on the Initial configuration phase. All the software seems to be installed just fine. The bios is old bios version not efi. Computer is to old for that.
    In most cases, such a freeze is caused by a non-existing floppy drive that the installer tries to access (it's no freeze in this case, just a looong delay), or by certain wireless devices (mostly Broadcom I think).

So try to disable the floppy drive in the BIOS (especially if you don't have one connected), and try to disable your wireless devices (via the hardware switch) if you have some for the installation.

I did disable the floppy in the bios. The modem switch may be a broadcom modem issue. I there a way to get past that? Or should I just install via the live CD that seems to work just fine, and I don't have any issues during the install using this version.

Am I missing anything by using the live cd install versus the DVD 4.7GB version? Or is it just for a clean install?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglyph View Post
    The modem switch may be a broadcom modem issue. I there a way to get past that?
    Normally you should have a hardware switch to disable it, or you should be able to do so in the BIOS.
    You could also try to specify "brokenmodules=b43" in the kernel command line (i.e. the install DVD's boot menu), but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient.

Or should I just install via the live CD that seems to work just fine, and I don't have any issues during the install using this version.

Am I missing anything by using the live cd install versus the DVD 4.7GB version? Or is it just for a clean install?
    It should not matter whether you use the LiveCD or the full InstallationDVD.
    Except that the LiveCD doesn't include all the stuff that the full DVD ships, so a lot of packages get additionally installed afterwards, when you first enter YaST.
    But they both use the same online repos anyway, so the same set of software is available regardless how you do the install.

So I would say, just stick to the LiveCD installation, if that works.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Mar-2014 at 06:37.

OK, I went with the USB live install CD and it installed just fine, but now it's struggling for with updates, not crashing just have to keep retrying updates it's getting there.
    Thanks guys! loving OpenSUSE, can wait for the stability and learning it more!
    YEAH!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12