Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Could not find openSUSE repository"

Default "Could not find openSUSE repository"

I'm trying to install 13.1, 64-bit on a new machine. I'm using the same install DVD that I used without problems on my last install (on a different machine). I'm wondering if maybe there's a problem with my DVD drive.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: "Could not find openSUSE repository"

BTW, when I run "validate install media" it checks fine.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:26:02 +0000, Yippee38 wrote:

> I'm trying to install 13.1, 64-bit on a new machine. I'm using the same
    > install DVD that I used without problems on my last install (on a
    > different machine). I'm wondering if maybe there's a problem with my
    > DVD drive.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

At what point do you get that error message?

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj
    At what point do you get that error message?

Jim
    Sorry. I should have included that.

I get the "Loading Linux Kernel" progress bar. That completes, then I get standard text messages scrolling across the screen. Finally, there is a three-shade, green progress bar across the bottom. When it gets to about 80%, I get the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
    Sorry. I should have included that.

I get the "Loading Linux Kernel" progress bar. That completes, then I get standard text messages scrolling across the screen. Finally, there is a three-shade, green progress bar across the bottom. When it gets to about 80%, I get the error.
    Did the other machine not have UEFI, and this new machine does have UEFI?
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Did the other machine not have UEFI, and this new machine does have UEFI?
    Yes. Exactly.

You can press the <ESC> escape key while booting to see what is going on, then you have an idea where it stops.

Be sure to boot the install media in EFI mode. This is done by accessing the efi BIOS at boot and selecting efi mode NOT legacy

What a PITA.

Finally figured out how to boot to EFI mode. I've got an ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ motherboard with the latest BIOS version. In order to boot to EFI mode, I have to, in the BIOS, go to Security > Safe Boot > Disabled. Then, in the boot menu, select the boot device order and look for my DVD drive. There are two entries for it; one says, "AHCI: DVD Writer" and the other says, "EFI: DVD Writer". I have to select the EFI version and make sure the AHCI version is not selected. (In case anybody else is having similar trouble figuring it out.)

I did that. Now my install screen is different. I no longer get the install screen shown here in step 1:
    https://activedoc.opensuse.org/book/...on-quick-start

Instead, I get a black screen with reverse letters (grey background and black letters) saying, "Welcome to GRUB!". Then the screen changes to an openSUSE install screen that is completely different. It says, "openSUSE 13.1" in small, white letters across the top. On the left-side of the screen it says, "openSUSE" below the lizard and to the right of that in large letter, it says, "13.1". Between the "openSUSE" and lizard; and the "13.1" there is a vertical row of three grey dots. On the menu part of the screen, I have three lines. Each has a green lizard head in a circle to the left. The three options are, "Installation", "Rescue System", and "Check Installed Media". It does not have the F1 - F6 options at the bottom. Space bar does not allow me to enter startup options. The only way I can do that is by hitting the "E" key. That brings up an emacs-type editor window. With that, I can edit the one grub boot menu item.

Here's what that one entry looks like for me:
    Code:
    setparams 'Installation'

set gfxpayload=keep
       echo 'loading kernel ...'
       linuxefi /boot/x86_64/loader linux install=http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/
       echo 'loading initial ramdisk'
       initrdefi /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
    I've been having trouble with getting a black screen while trying to install. I figured out, from help on the forums, that I need to "nomodeset" parameter set to avoid that black screen.

Looking at that install entry, it's clear to me why I am getting the error about not finding the repository. That's because, for some strange reason, openSUSE is trying to install from the internet. I initially tried to do a net install from a memory stick, but after having the black screen problems, I bought an optical drive to do a normal DVD install. However, the system has somehow stored my original installation settings and keeps trying to do a net install. I'm guessing that it's storing that info in the BIOS (EFI) somewhere. I used parted magic to remove all partitions and the partition table off of the hard disk. That's what makes me think the install info is stored in the BIOS.

So is there a way to get rid of that stored information? Failing that, how can I enter static IP information that would allow the system to see the online repositories? BTW, I would much prefer to be able to do the install using the DVD than doing it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
    Looking at that install entry, it's clear to me why I am getting the error about not finding the repository. That's because, for some strange reason, openSUSE is trying to install from the internet. I initially tried to do a net install from a memory stick, but after having the black screen problems, I bought an optical drive to do a normal DVD install. However, the system has somehow stored my original installation settings and keeps trying to do a net install. I'm guessing that it's storing that info in the BIOS (EFI) somewhere. I used parted magic to remove all partitions and the partition table off of the hard disk. That's what makes me think the install info is stored in the BIOS.

So is there a way to get rid of that stored information? Failing that, how can I enter static IP information that would allow the system to see the online repositories? BTW, I would much prefer to be able to do the install using the DVD than doing it online.
    I doubt that it is storing that information anywhere, especially not in the BIOS. (but then I don't know anything about an UEFI install)

Are you sure you are booting from the correct drive?

Have you downloaded the FULL DVD (~4.7 GB) or did you burn the NETinstall ISO that you downloaded before?
    Those are completely different media downloads. The latter one of course only does a network install, even when you burn it to a DVD...

Btw, you can write the InstallationDVD to an USB stick as well, no need to use an optical drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast