Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Are these known issues?

  1. #1

    Default Are these known issues?

    Hi all, I'm a bit of a n00b (before admins shout at me again) so i just want to check two issues i've been getting and if they're already reported as issues?:

    1-booting with dual-screen: i'm using an nvidia card (i know..) with 2 screens. since about 12.1 if i shut down and restart straight away (within a few minutes anyway) the primary screen shows the normal boot sequence. the 2nd screen doesn't seem to have anything to show, so it shows whatever's in the gfx buffer, even worse in cascaded mode (so every window you've been looking at is now shown for whoever uses the pc after you). couldn't there just be an instruction to show a black 2nd screen or is there too much work in detecting this first? even my used-only-for-steam win7 partition shows a black screen

    2-if i lock my screen (on the same pc) and the screen goes to sleep, using the mouse to wake the monitor shows the fully unlocked desktop for a few seconds before the lock screen is displayed instead (I'd test it for specific conditions but i'm on a laptop and the lock screen has the background and no dialogue for unlocked, so i have to just turn screen sleep off)

    Anyway obviously the first issue is the worst, but I've seen it for a good few minor and major releases. just wondering if it's an issue everyone knows about anyway or should i start rediscovering what components i built the pc with?

    Also, slightly related, did i hear nvidia are starting to do actual native drivers in our own repo rather than their own, will this lead to a lot less glitches like this does anyone think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Are these known issues?

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:46:01 +0000, TheBloodyNine wrote:

    > Anyway obviously the first issue is the worst, but I've seen it for a
    > good few minor and major releases. just wondering if it's an issue
    > everyone knows about anyway or should i start rediscovering what
    > components i built the pc with?


    It would be useful to let us know what version of openSUSE you're using,
    but yes, generally, video issues are hardware-related, so knowing what
    hardware you're using (and what drivers you're using) also would be a
    good thing to know.

    Best option is to post the individual issues in an appropriate forum here
    and diagnose them individually, as they seem unrelated. For the second
    issue, it also would be useful to know which desktop environment you're
    using.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are these known issues?

    On 2014-03-23 01:45, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:46:01 +0000, TheBloodyNine wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway obviously the first issue is the worst, but I've seen it for a
    >> good few minor and major releases. just wondering if it's an issue
    >> everyone knows about anyway or should i start rediscovering what
    >> components i built the pc with?

    >
    > It would be useful to let us know what version of openSUSE you're using,
    > but yes, generally, video issues are hardware-related, so knowing what
    > hardware you're using (and what drivers you're using) also would be a
    > good thing to know.


    I have experienced that issue myself. This week, actually. Using the
    Nvidia proprietary driver, and only one display.

    I don't remember exactly what I did. I think I rebooted, and while the
    graphical mode was starting, I saw a sort of jigsaw of the graphical
    screen of what was displayed previous to the reboot. I guess the NVidia
    card RAM had not been cleared entirely, but reused. Only data structures
    were initialized, the contents were not.

    I have seen this issue, on and off, for many years, so it is not related
    to the openSUSE version. I never paid much attention to it. If it is
    related to the hardware or the proprietary driver, there is no hope of
    solving it, so details are irrelevant (and in any case, as I did not pay
    attention, it would be wrong of me to supply them: I could be mistaken
    even about what machine did it).

    I assume the only cure is to power off.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Are these known issues?

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 03:23:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    > I have seen this issue, on and off, for many years, so it is not related
    > to the openSUSE version. I never paid much attention to it. If it is
    > related to the hardware or the proprietary driver, there is no hope of
    > solving it, so details are irrelevant (and in any case, as I did not pay
    > attention, it would be wrong of me to supply them: I could be mistaken
    > even about what machine did it).
    >
    > I assume the only cure is to power off.


    It might just prove useful for those who see the issue to compare notes
    to try and narrow down a cause, and perhaps even to get a fix.

    In which case, details are somewhat important, as you're aware.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are these known issues?

    On 2014-03-23 07:02, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 03:23:06 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen this issue, on and off, for many years, so it is not related
    >> to the openSUSE version. I never paid much attention to it. If it is
    >> related to the hardware or the proprietary driver, there is no hope of
    >> solving it, so details are irrelevant (and in any case, as I did not pay
    >> attention, it would be wrong of me to supply them: I could be mistaken
    >> even about what machine did it).
    >>
    >> I assume the only cure is to power off.

    >
    > It might just prove useful for those who see the issue to compare notes
    > to try and narrow down a cause, and perhaps even to get a fix.
    >
    > In which case, details are somewhat important, as you're aware.


    Well.

    Assuming it was this computer, of which I'm not 100% sure, I use the
    proprietary Nvidia GL03 driver, version 331.49, installed the easy way,
    and the hardware is:

    Model: "nVidia G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]"
    Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"
    Device: pci 0x0640 "G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]"
    SubVendor: pci 0x1462 "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd."


    I see you have noticed a post in the hardware forum, re Shutdown, where
    someone says that the image stays on even after shutdown. It is the same
    kind of issue, with a degree of "badness" more: not only the RAM stays
    on, the full video hardware stays on, at least enough for the display to
    work.

    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=496471

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Are these known issues?

    Hi, it's 13.1, but been an issue since 12.1 (same graphics card and nvidia proprietary drivers from their one-click install)

    similar issue to above, powering off for a few minutes clears it but if you catch it before the ram wipes you get the jigsaw effect of whatever was displayed before shutdown/restart

    Glad to know I'm not the only one who's seen it in case I'd done something wrong, and also as expected it seems to be a pattern around nvidia cards... if it's to do with nividia's own drivers then I expect there's not a lot to be done

    I'll have a look on the pc for more details when I get home later today

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Are these known issues?

    On 2014-03-23 19:46, TheBloodyNine wrote:

    > similar issue to above, powering off for a few minutes clears it but if
    > you catch it before the ram wipes you get the jigsaw effect of whatever
    > was displayed before shutdown/restart


    Was it a real power off? I mean, the power off button on computers does
    not switch power completely, there is some power remaining so that
    functions like wake on lan can work. Some computers can power up by
    pressing a key (PS2 keyboards, I'm unsure about USB keyboards). Some
    computers can power up automatically at a predetermined time, from the
    bios clock.

    To make sure, you have to flip a switch on the back, on the power supply
    itself, or on the mains rod if you use it.

    just an idea...


    Funny, but this is bad hardware design, IMO. They cut corners somewhere...


    > Glad to know I'm not the only one who's seen it in case I'd done
    > something wrong, and also as expected it seems to be a pattern around
    > nvidia cards... if it's to do with nividia's own drivers then I expect
    > there's not a lot to be done


    Someone could perhaps create a program that runs very early on boot,
    that calls card functions to erase memory. There is surely a way, but my
    guess is that this would not be instantaneous, which is why they don't
    do it automatically by hardware at power up. Just an educated guess.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •