Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.2 MS0

Default 13.2 MS0

Installed 13.2 MS0 AMD64 from DVD-media in a VirtualBox session. Works a-ok. Set up NFS-shares, Printer/Scanner (Brother MFC 7360). I haven’t bee able to crash the session testing different set up's and reboots. Works very well after/installed rdesktop-1.7.1-5.1.1.x86_64 on my PC. ?

What make me hick-up was the suggested partitioning. Brfs may be technically superior as a file system but it doesn’t create a trust for a user when see "suggested partitioned". This is a win for developers. Not for users. O yes I'm skilled enough to make the different.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 13.2 MS0

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    What make me hick-up was the suggested partitioning. Brfs may be technically superior as a file system but it doesn’t create a trust for a user when see "suggested partitioned". This is a win for developers. Not for users. O yes I'm skilled enough to make the different.

Regards
    Yes, I agree. That screen is only for experienced users. It will scare away inexperienced users.

If they want "btrfs" to be the default, they have to change that screen to show only one line listing the file system. There could perhaps be a button to open the full list of subvolumes, but that should not be shown by default.

I'll be sticking with "ext4" for my installs.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, I agree. That screen is only for experienced users. It will scare away inexperienced users.

If they want "btrfs" to be the default, they have to change that screen to show only one line listing the file system. There could perhaps be a button to open the full list of subvolumes, but that should not be shown by default.

I'll be sticking with "ext4" for my installs.
    "http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYzNjA" My i write a comment.. Apple and lack of fs- in *IOS.
    That is one way. Not my way do.

Sorry for my louse English.

Regards.
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Well this is okay for new installs but if I am upping from 13.1 to 13.2 then I would still want ext4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Well this is okay for new installs but if I am upping from 13.1 to 13.2 then I would still want ext4
    Ext4 will still be there. Upgrading will still keep the same file system. I'm not sure whether a new install to existing partitions will suggest reformatting the root partition to "btrfs". I seem to recall it did that on me reinstall (from failed install via live KDE to successful install from DVD)
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

On 2014-03-22 14:26, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > jonte1;2632095 Wrote:

Er... why is this in the chit-chat forum, and not in the Beta forum?

>> What make me hick-up was the suggested partitioning. Brfs may be
    >> technically superior as a file system but it doesn’t create a trust
    >> for a user when see "suggested partitioned". This is a win for
    >> developers. Not for users. O yes I'm skilled enough to make the
    >> different.

> Yes, I agree. That screen is only for experienced users. It will scare
    > away inexperienced users.
    >
    > If they want "btrfs" to be the default, they have to change that screen
    > to show only one line listing the file system. There could perhaps be a
    > button to open the full list of subvolumes, but that should not be shown
    > by default.
    >
    > I'll be sticking with "ext4" for my installs.

If I remember correctly, they did something like this also with 13.1
    factory. Btrfs is suggested as default for beta testers, and on the
    final release the default is again ext4 (unless the powers that be
    decide to accept btrfs as default for this release).

Beta testers are by definition experts >;-)

So this is exactly as intended. :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    Installed 13.2 MS0 AMD64 from DVD-media in a VirtualBox session. Works a-ok. Set up NFS-shares, Printer/Scanner (Brother MFC 7360). I haven’t bee able to crash the session testing different set up's and reboots. Works very well after/installed rdesktop-1.7.1-5.1.1.x86_64 on my PC. ?

Regards
    Do you realy want this to be discussed in earnest? Then why is it in General Chit-Chat.
    I e.g. skipped this thread until now because I generaly do not like it to take part in Chit-Chat threads.

When, as an afterthough, you think that this in fact belongs to the Pre-Release/Beta forum, then please say so. Then it will be moved.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Do you realy want this to be discussed in earnest? Then why is it in General Chit-Chat.
    I e.g. skipped this thread until now because I generaly do not like it to take part in Chit-Chat threads.

When, as an afterthough, you think that this in fact belongs to the Pre-Release/Beta forum, then please say so. Then it will be moved.
    I don’t know for sure if I think this belongs in Pre-Release/Beta forum instead. What I did (and I do lt a lot) was to send up a test balloon. Right or wrong. To see what reactions (if any) recived. The issue is already discussed in Pre-Release/Beta forum. I had a thought to have a opinion from ordinary users and not only nerds testing alpha/beta.

If you like so please move it. I leave that decision to you. No hard feelings from me in that case.

Regards

I now read through the whole thread. Isn't the real subject the BTRFS decission.? There is nothing in the title that mirrors this.

How you plan for your subject getting attention of people interested in it by putting it in the Chit-Chat forum with that title is beyond my imagination, but I may be too pessimistic. But it is what you decided. And when you still do think you did that correct, I will leave it here for those roaming General Chit-Chat.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-03-22 14:26, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > jonte1;2632095 Wrote:

Er... why is this in the chit-chat forum, and not in the Beta forum?

>> What make me hick-up was the suggested partitioning. Brfs may be
    >> technically superior as a file system but it doesn’t create a trust
    >> for a user when see "suggested partitioned". This is a win for
    >> developers. Not for users. O yes I'm skilled enough to make the
    >> different.

> Yes, I agree. That screen is only for experienced users. It will scare
    > away inexperienced users.
    >
    > If they want "btrfs" to be the default, they have to change that screen
    > to show only one line listing the file system. There could perhaps be a
    > button to open the full list of subvolumes, but that should not be shown
    > by default.
    >
    > I'll be sticking with "ext4" for my installs.

If I remember correctly, they did something like this also with 13.1
    factory. Btrfs is suggested as default for beta testers, and on the
    final release the default is again ext4 (unless the powers that be
    decide to accept btrfs as default for this release).

Beta testers are by definition experts >;-)

So this is exactly as intended. :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)
    Hmm.. Btrfs is already reported as default file system on Opensuse13.2 system by a number sites/bloggs. Why?
    -The btrfs filesystem is default (and comes with btrfsprogs 3.12), as is the wicked network management tool (replacing ifup) and the dracut initrd replacement says the official page.

Well thank you about definition of beta testers, -but I also have another point of view. Usability. Even for single users ;-)

Best regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast