Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub2 Question

Default Grub2 Question

I'm trying to help my friend install openSUSE 13.1 x64. He has an issue where Grub2 is not giving the option to write the MBR to the hard drive that he wants openSUSE on. He has multiple hard drives in his machine, and Winblows is on one of those drives. Grub2 is writing the MBR to the Windows drive, and this isn't the behavior that is desired. How do you get Grub2 to not write the MBR to the wrong drive?

Secondly, this install was on a drive that had FreeBSD on it, and the YaST Partioner had an issue erasing the MBR from the FreeBSD install, leaving an unbootable system. Does Grub2 sometimes have problems overwriting an existing MBR? He also tried having Grub2 write to the root partition, and that left the system unbootable.

Default Re: Grub2 Question

Hi.

You can set drive priority in the BIOS, choose the one to install openSUSE onto as the first drive, I suppose this isn't UEFI? Besides, by default GRUB will boot from 'root'(/boot) not MBR, choose whichever you like but to launch GRUB you need to set the oS drive at top.
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauce View Post
    Hi.

You can set drive priority in the BIOS, choose the one to install openSUSE onto as the first drive, I suppose this isn't UEFI? Besides, by default GRUB will boot from 'root'(/boot) not MBR, choose whichever you like but to launch GRUB you need to set the oS drive at top.
    It is not UEFI. He already did set the OS drive as the top drive and Grub2 writes an MBR to the Windows drive, which is the wrong drive.

At the scheme check screen all the things planed to happen are listed click the grub entry and change it.

Not Gurb does not have to be in the MBR if you use generic MBR code and put grub code on the boot partition (root usually) then the system will boot to the partition that is flagged to boot

If you need more info show use the output

fdisk -l
    note that is lower case L not a one

You can use any live Linux to get that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pirithous View Post
    I'm trying to help my friend install openSUSE 13.1 x64. He has an issue where Grub2 is not giving the option to write the MBR to the hard drive that he wants openSUSE on. He has multiple hard drives in his machine, and Winblows is on one of those drives. Grub2 is writing the MBR to the Windows drive, and this isn't the behavior that is desired. How do you get Grub2 to not write the MBR to the wrong drive?

Secondly, this install was on a drive that had FreeBSD on it, and the YaST Partioner had an issue erasing the MBR from the FreeBSD install, leaving an unbootable system. Does Grub2 sometimes have problems overwriting an existing MBR? He also tried having Grub2 write to the root partition, and that left the system unbootable.
    During install, at the install summary proposal
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../grub2-set.png
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Grub2 writes an MBR to the Windows drive, which is the wrong drive.
    GRUB2 writes to whatever device it is told to write. You probably mean YaST bootloader configuration which is something different. Please show /etc/default/grub_installdevice and /boot/grub2/device.map.

Blog Entries

I'm trying to help my friend install openSUSE 13.1 x64. He has an issue where Grub2 is not giving the option to write the MBR to the hard drive that he wants openSUSE on.
    On the boot install screen, there's a long button at the bottom "Boot Loader Installation Details".

Click on that. There will be a list of drives, and up/down buttons. Arrange the list so that the first is the one where grub is to be installed. Then click "OK". The summary screen should now show the MBR of the desired disk for installation.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There will be a list of drives, and up/down buttons. Arrange the list so that the first is the one where grub is to be installed.
    I'm not sure whether it still works. It worked in the past by using legacy (hd0) as install device and changing mapping in device.map; but today yast does not use legacy drive names anymore and simply refers to OS device name (/dev/...).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    I'm not sure whether it still works. It worked in the past by using legacy (hd0) as install device and changing mapping in device.map; but today yast does not use legacy drive names anymore and simply refers to OS device name (/dev/...).
    It worked for me, installing 13.1 to an external drive and booting from the MBR of that external drive.

The ordered list of drives did use "/dev/sda" etc. And that was a bit awkward, because I had to make sure which device name the installer was associating with which physical device. So it is more confusing than I indicated in my earlier comment.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    On the boot install screen, there's a long button at the bottom "Boot Loader Installation Details".

Click on that. There will be a list of drives, and up/down buttons. Arrange the list so that the first is the one where grub is to be installed. Then click "OK". The summary screen should now show the MBR of the desired disk for installation.
    He says he did this but it didn't work. YaST puts the MBR on the wrong drive. Is there a bug here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast