Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

  1. #1

    Default Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    Dear openSUSE lovers... I want to believe

    RE: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    So I'm trying really, really hard to download a version of openSUSE to revive an original Asus eeePC 4G Surf booting up the OS from an external SD card. Was pointed to the < openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso > which I want to load on the SD card as a bootable iso OS.

    My problem is BOTH mirrors I tried FAILED badly at the last moment... Almost the entire 4+GB iso image came down OK except the last MB or so. In other words 99% downloaded from these TWO mirrors, one in ZA and the other in EU then nothing...

    WTF is going on? South Africa, where I live, has one of the most expensive data rates per MB anywhere! I've downloaded almost 10GB TWICE but still have no iso I can work with. That sucks.

    PLEASE for the love of G_d can someone point me to a reliable source that won't take an eternity to download. The mirrors I used which left me dangling and feeling like a COMPLETE ID10T are:

    http://ftp.up.ac.za/mirrors/opensuse...1-DVD-i586.iso

    http://opensuse-mirror-gce-eu.opensu...1-DVD-i586.iso

    I need to use the eeePC specifically to run flash-enabled .exe files of the Prezi format (prezi.com) and have been led to believe that openSUSE-13.1 + WINE will enable this.

    Thoughts? Ideas?
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,336
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    Hi
    Your downloading to a FAT formatted device I would guess..... if so, change to something with ntfs or ext3/4.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 02:16:02 +0000, mudthang wrote:

    > [image: http://s28.postimg.org/mlhqy3a25/ope..._DVD_FAIL.jpg]


    Go to http://software.opensuse.org and download from there - you can use
    the torrent to check the existing file, but as malcolmlewis noted, if you
    download to a FAT device, it will fail, because the file is larger than
    FAT's largest allowed filesize.

    If all else fails, download from the official source rather than a
    mirror.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    Thanks malcolm and Henders
    Will try download direct to an SD partitioned for ext.
    If/hopefully when it works will let you know...
    Keep well
    mud

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    On 2014-03-22 09:46, mudthang wrote:
    >
    > Thanks *malcolm* and *Henders*
    > Will try download direct to an SD partitioned for ext.
    > If/hopefully -when -it works will let you know...
    > Keep well


    You are using WIndows? Then use media formatted as NTFS, not FAT. I
    would not recommend EXT either, because it is not natively supported by
    Windows.

    Then, that said, what you downloaded must be somewhere, even incomplete.
    There are methods to reuse a partial download, but I will not explain
    without knowing what you have available, Windows or Linux.

    There is some help about this in the openSUSE download page.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:43:08 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    > On 2014-03-22 09:46, mudthang wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks *malcolm* and *Henders*
    >> Will try download direct to an SD partitioned for ext.
    >> If/hopefully -when -it works will let you know... Keep well

    >
    > You are using WIndows? Then use media formatted as NTFS, not FAT. I
    > would not recommend EXT either, because it is not natively supported by
    > Windows.
    >
    > Then, that said, what you downloaded must be somewhere, even incomplete.
    > There are methods to reuse a partial download, but I will not explain
    > without knowing what you have available, Windows or Linux.
    >
    > There is some help about this in the openSUSE download page.


    Assuming he's using Windows, I'm going to guess he means exfat, which is
    a new FAT format for flash drives in Windows. There's no native support
    for it in Linux, but if he's going to burn to a disc in Windows, that
    won't matter.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Mirrors FAIL for openSUSE-13.1-DVD-i586.iso >>> HELP!

    On 2014-03-22 20:38, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:43:08 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:



    > Assuming he's using Windows, I'm going to guess he means exfat, which is
    > a new FAT format for flash drives in Windows. There's no native support
    > for it in Linux, but if he's going to burn to a disc in Windows, that
    > won't matter.


    Ah, yes, absolutely. I forgot about that one.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •