Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux noob- Wireless network not working

Default Linux noob- Wireless network not working

I'm a linux noob and I'm trying out linux on an old laptop. Lpatop is a dell d610 model from 2005.

I successfully installed opensuse 13.1 to dual boot with Windows 7 32-bit. both os's are working.

The wireless internet isn't working in opensuse. I used yast > network settings and it warns that network is currently controlled by network manager. yast can't make any changes. It tells me to use the network manager connection editor or use ifup.

i don't know what that means. yast shows the ethernet controller to be clickable but the network wireless card is grayed out and I can't make any changes.

the wireless card is Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g network adapter. is the card too old to have a driver in opensuse?

Default AW: Linux noob- Wireless network not working

Quote Originally Posted by Minixmouse View Post
    The wireless internet isn't working in opensuse. I used yast > network settings and it warns that network is currently controlled by network manager. yast can't make any changes. It tells me to use the network manager connection editor or use ifup.

i don't know what that means. yast shows the ethernet controller to be clickable but the network wireless card is grayed out and I can't make any changes.
    If NetworkManager is active, you cannot use YaST to configure the network connections.
    In this case you have to use the NetworkManager applet your Desktop provides, i.e. click on the network symbol in the panel.

You don't tell which Desktop Environment you use, in KDE you would find it at the bottom-right of the screen by default and it would look like this:

Just click on it and you should see some wireless networks if your card is working.

the wireless card is Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g network adapter. is the card too old to have a driver in opensuse?
    Could you please type this in a terminal window (konsole f.e.) and post the output:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    This would show exactly what device that is, and which driver is loaded.
    Last edited by hcvv; 22-Mar-2014 at 04:19. Reason: repaired QUOTE tag

Default Re: Linux noob- Wireless network not working

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Could you please type this in a terminal window (konsole f.e.) and post the output:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    This would show exactly what device that is, and which driver is loaded.
    Oops, I just found out that this is an USB device, so please post the output of:
    Code:
    lsusb
    IIANM, this should use a BCM4309 chip, which has a driver included in openSUSE. (at least Google told me that)
    You just need to install additional firmware:
    - Add the Packman repository in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repos
    - Then enter YaST->Software Management and install the packages "b43-firmware" and "b43legacy-firmware". (I think either one should work, but it should not harm to have both)
    After a reboot, your wireless should work.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Mar-2014 at 16:47.

thanks wolfi323

i think the exact model of the card is Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-Band WLAN miniPCI Card. I'll login to windows 7 and check. i don't know what you mean by usb device. Its not an external usb plugin network card. it's internal.

The first command gave me an error about lacking root privileges. i don't know how to invoke root in terminal.

the second command gave this response

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

i checked system properties in windows 7. the dell 1450 wireless card is one network card that I have. i also have a Broadcom netxtreme 57xx gigabit controller. I think that's the ethernet port.

Default AW: Re: Linux noob- Wireless network not working

i think the exact model of the card is Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-Band WLAN miniPCI Card. I'll login to windows 7 and check. i don't know what you mean by usb device. Its not an external usb plugin network card. it's internal.
    OK, so we need the lspci output.
    The Google results I got would have suggested it's an external USB card.

The first command gave me an error about lacking root privileges. i don't know how to invoke root in terminal.
    You could type "su" to get root privileges, but that isn't really necessary in this case.
    You just have to specify the full path:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Sorry, I didn't think of that when I posted.

the second command gave this response
    Well, if it is a PCI card, that's normal of course. "lsusb" only shows USB devices as the name implies.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Mar-2014 at 17:12.

i checked system properties in windows 7. the dell 1450 wireless card is one network card that I have.
    OK, but that still doesn't say which chip it uses, i.e. which driver it needs.
    Google suggests it's a BCM4309 as I wrote, but let's rule out all uncertainties.

i also have a Broadcom netxtreme 57xx gigabit controller. I think that's the ethernet port.
    Yes.

I tried to add the community repos. it asked for the media type. i said the kde live usb. It said the community repos was installed but when I checked in software management, community repos had no packages. when I searched for b43 packages i got no results.

did I do it wrong? is the name of the repository exactly community repos?

edit: i found a b43-fwcutter package for extracting firmware from newer broadcom drivers, but that's not what i need.

I tried to add the community repos. it asked for the media type. i said the kde live usb. It said the community repos was installed but when I checked in software management, community repos had no packages. when I searched for b43 packages i got no results.

did I do it wrong? is the name of the repository exactly community repos?
    The name of the repository is "Packman". In YaST->"Software Repositories" click on "Add", then select "Community Repositories". A list of repos should appear where one of them should be "Packman". Enable this and click on OK.

There is NO repo called "community repos".

But you need a working Internet connection for doing it that way (through wired).
    If you don't you have to download the package(s) (in Windows f.e.) and install them manually.
    http://packman.links2linux.org/packa...egacy-firmware
    http://packman.links2linux.org/package/b43-firmware

But please, post the output of "/sbin/lspci -nnk" as well.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Mar-2014 at 17:28.

ah, i misread. sorry wolfi323.

I found here this quote

The Dell Wireless 1450 uses the Broadcom BCM4309 (rev 03) chipset. FedoraMobile has a guide to install the drivers for Broadcom BCMxx chipsets.
    so you were probably right.

Let me try your instructions again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast