Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE 32-bit?

Default 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE 32-bit?

I just installed openSUSE 13.2 milestone 0 KDE 32-bit, DVD iso burned to a USB stick. Formatted /, reused /home from 13.1. I started the install and wandered away. On returning, the system was waiting to boot from the hard disk. When it did, it was a normal log-in, not a second phase for device configuration like I always got with previous version installations.

Kinfocenter reports the system as:
    Linux 3.14.0-rc5-1-desktop
    openSUSE 13.2 Milestone 0 (Harlequin) (i586)
    KDE 4.12.2

YaST is very broken.

Is this the design installation now for milestone 0, only one phase? Or did something go past while I was not looking?

Thanks,
    Howard

Default ReIs this the design installation now for milestone 0, onl: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE 32-bit?

Quote Originally Posted by crmrhm View Post
    YaST is very broken.
    No, it's not very broken at all AFAICS.
    YaST has been freshly ported to Qt5, so there might be issues, yes. But it should work.
    The most obvious and critical problem at the moment (and I think that's what you're referring to) is that libproxy-config-kde4 and libqdialogsolver1 use Qt4 and therefore make YaST crash when they are installed.
    To circumvent this, just uninstall those 2 packages (libqdialogsolver1 shouldn't be installed by default anyway).

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=866692
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=866622

Is this the design installation now for milestone 0, only one phase? Or did something go past while I was not looking?
    No idea, could be. I don't really remember, my last Factory installation was 2 weeks ago already...
    Well, if your system is working, everything must have gone according to plan, no?

Default Re: ReIs this the design installation now for milestone 0, onl: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE 32-

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    libproxy-config-kde4 and libqdialogsolver1. To circumvent this, just uninstall those 2 packages.

Well, if your system is working, everything must have gone according to plan, no?
    When YaST is started from a terminal and runs in text mode, it works. The GUI crashes with most actions.

YaST did not find libproxy-config-kde4; libqdialogsolver1 was found but had not been installed.

The wired network connection works, but wireless will not connect. More tinkering underway.

Regards,
    Howard

Default Re: ReIs this the design installation now for milestone 0, onl: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE

When YaST is started from a terminal and runs in text mode, it works. The GUI crashes with most actions.
    Yes. The text mode version does not use Qt.

YaST did not find libproxy-config-kde4; libqdialogsolver1 was found but had not been installed.
    The package is called libproxy1-config-kde4 (sorry, I made a typo there). Uninstall that and YaST should not crash anymore.

The wired network connection works, but wireless will not connect. More tinkering underway.
    I don't know about that as I only installed it in VirtualBox.
    But have you tried to switch to NetworkManager?

Default Re: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE?

The package is called libproxy1-config-kde4. Uninstall that and YaST should not crash anymore.
    Right, that got the YaST GUI functioning.
    But have you tried to switch to NetworkManager?
    Network Manager was used by default, with a very different interface from 13.1. It shows wireless enabled, and our network ID, but will not connect. YaST hardware information reports the wireless card as
    Code:
    net interface: name = wlp4s2, path = /class/net/wlp4s2
        type = 1
        carrier = 0
        hw_addr = 00:13:ce:d4:8d:57
        net device: path = /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:04:02.0
        net driver: name = ipw2200, path = /bus/pci/drivers/ipw2200
        ethtool private flags: 0
    When I tried to start Network Settings in YaST, both text and GUI, it popped up a window saying "Internal error. Please report a bug."

Howard

Network Manager was used by default, with a very different interface from 13.1.
    Right, that's the new plasma-nm, which is already included in 13.1 but not installed by default there, as it still was a pre-release version.

It shows wireless enabled, and our network ID, but will not connect. YaST hardware information reports the wireless card as
    Code:
    net interface: name = wlp4s2, path = /class/net/wlp4s2
        type = 1
        carrier = 0
        hw_addr = 00:13:ce:d4:8d:57
        net device: path = /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:04:02.0
        net driver: name = ipw2200, path = /bus/pci/drivers/ipw2200
        ethtool private flags: 0
    Hm. AFAIK intel devices need additional firmware which should be part of the package "kernel-firmware". So please check if that's installed.
    Other than that I don't know.

When I tried to start Network Settings in YaST, both text and GUI, it popped up a window saying "Internal error. Please report a bug."
    Well, maybe you should indeed report a bug?

Hm. AFAIK intel devices need additional firmware which should be part of the package "kernel-firmware". So please check if that's installed.
    ipw-firmware - Firmware for Intel PRO/Wireless WLAN Cards was already installed. kernel-firmware was not installed, so it is now, but seemed to make no difference.
    Well, maybe you should indeed report a bug?
    Indeed, done. https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=869776 Such is the nature of beta-testing.
    Howard

ipw-firmware - Firmware for Intel PRO/Wireless WLAN Cards was already installed. kernel-firmware was not installed, so it is now, but seemed to make no difference.
    Oh, sorry. I confused your device with the iwlwifi, which does have the firmware in kernel-firmware.

Such is the nature of beta-testing.
    Right. Especially on MS0 which is not even beta yet...

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE 32-bit?

I installed milestone0 from the live KDE.
    The proposed partitioning is too long to read. That's going to be a problem with "btrfs". I switched to "ext4" (expert partitioning mode).

It complained that I had not provided "/boot/efi". That was correct. So I fixed that. And it still made the same complaint.

I told it to proceed anyway. It wanted to use "grub2" for booting. I expect that's because I first booted the live USB on a non-UEFI box, and it probably saved information in the hybrid partition, and forced that on subsequent boots -- I reported a bug about that for 13.1. I switched to grub2-efi, and the install proceeded.

On reboot, Yast told me that auto-configuration had failed and that I should report a bug. I have not reported as of yet, though maybe someone else has reported this by now.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Default Re: 1-stage install for 13.2 ms0 KDE 32-bit?

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I installed milestone0 from the live KDE.
    Have installations from live media been done in two stages previously, with reboot in between? Did that happen this time? I'm wondering if my installation from DVD image proceeded with some default settings through a reboot, instead of waiting for user action like I have had on all other recent installations. For instance, with 13.2 ms0, I did not have an opportunity to set host name, which I always could before. Maybe I should start installation again, and stay put to watch progress.
    Thanks,
    Howard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast