Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: purge old kernels

Default purge old kernels

I've recently switched to tumbleweed and I've 2 old kernels and one old from tumbleweed (this tumbleweed updates are really fast! ), I see purge old kernels service in service manager and enabled. how to configure it to automaticaly puurge old kernels? Just for info here's my kernels list
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep "kernel"
    kernel-desktop-3.13.6-20.1.g0509ce5.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130714git-2.5.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.13.6-19.4.g4727218.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    and here's the recent one
    Code:
    uname -r
    3.13.6-20.g0509ce5-desktop
    13.2 KDE 64bit tumbleweed
    Lenovo G500s, Thinkpad R500

Default Re: purge old kernels

Quote Originally Posted by roberto68 View Post
    Just for info here's my kernels list
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep "kernel"
    kernel-desktop-3.13.6-20.1.g0509ce5.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.13.6-19.4.g4727218.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    Before you destroy something, that is NOT your kernels list. It is a list of RPM installed packages with the string "kernel" in the name. This one
    Code:
    is definitely NOT a kernel.
    Henk van Velden

I've recently switched to tumbleweed and I've 2 old kernels and one old from tumbleweed (this tumbleweed updates are really fast! ), I see purge old kernels service in service manager and enabled. how to configure it to automaticaly puurge old kernels?
    You can't at the moment.
    The purge-kernels script apparently has a bug that makes it not work correctly (or at all) on Tumbleweed:
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=864173

You can uninstall not wanted/needed kernel packages with YaST or zypper though. Just specify the exact version to zypper rm or click on the "Versions" tab in YaST.

But be careful: I'm not sure whether kernel-desktop-3.13.6-19.4.g4727218.x86_64 and kernel-desktop-3.13.6-20.1.g0509ce5.x86_64 are installed to different directories/use a different filename for the kernel (they should though I think). If not, removing one will break the other as well, so better keep one of the 3.11 kernels at first to be on the safe side.

And to stress what hcvv wrote: kernel-firmware is NOT a kernel. You should NOT uninstall that.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Mar-2014 at 06:39. Reason: shortened the quote

Purge kernels doesn't work automatically on Tumbleweed, and hasn't for some time. It should be configured by default as you re-based on 13.1.

You will need to delete unwanted kernels manually, upgrades are quite frequent on Tumbleweed, and Yast Software Management is good for that using the Versions tab.

Since you switched to Tumbleweed why not post in that forum, as @hcvv told you yesterday. There you might have noticed comments about the issue in a fairly recent thread.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

I've recently switched to tumbleweed and I've 2 old kernels and one old from tumbleweed (this tumbleweed updates are really fast! )
    Again, my question is: Why didn't you ask in the Tumbleweed forum?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

how to configure it to automaticaly puurge old kernels? Just for info here's my kernels list
    The last I heard, kernel purging was broken for tumbleweed. It is confused by the package names that tumbleweed uses.

My practice was to occasionally go into Software Manager, search for kernel, then select the "versions" tab. I would delete old versions for anything that matched the search and had multiple installed versions. As I recall, kernel-firmware was not one of those.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    My practice was to occasionally go into Software Manager, search for kernel, then select the "versions" tab. I would delete old versions for anything that matched the search and had multiple installed versions. As I recall, kernel-firmware was not one of those.
    Or for a default install just search on kernel-desktop for a much shorter result without kernel-firmware, and usually just the one package (with multi-versions) to deal with.
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

I am not a tumbleweed user but i always disable the multiversion kernel option in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf after the installation during the first boot. I hope my post is useful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Or for a default install just search on kernel-desktop for a much shorter result without kernel-firmware, and usually just the one package (with multi-versions) to deal with.
    I usually find kernel-desktop, several kernel-devel packages, and a kernel-syms package.

I'll grant that the kernel itself is the one that takes a lot of space, particularly if you have a separate "/boot" that fills up.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I usually find kernel-desktop, several kernel-devel packages, and a kernel-syms package.

I'll grant that the kernel itself is the one that takes a lot of space, particularly if you have a separate "/boot" that fills up.
    Those extra kernel packages are not usually added during a default install (ref my post), and I never add them to my Tumbleweed system. As it happens, it does have separate /boot due to btrfs and Snapper on the root partition.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast