Thread: Hardware Compatibility - Lenovo T440p or GIGABYTE P34G-CF1

Default Hardware Compatibility - Lenovo T440p or GIGABYTE P34G-CF1

I am about to make the plunge towards purchasing my desktop replacement labtop (will turn old desktop into server, CentOS is the plan) and I am wondering about the compatibility with recent OpenSUSE and the aforementioned labtops? I ask because I have often heard of labtop woes with linux. Is there a hardware compatibility listing for OpenSUSE that I don't see, similar to Ubuntu? (Answered that question...)

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Hardware Compatibility - Lenovo T440p or GIGABYTE P34G-CF1

On 03/20/2014 10:26 PM, on3iropolos wrote:
    >
    > I am about to make the plunge towards purchasing my desktop replacement
    > labtop (will turn old desktop into server, CentOS is the plan) and I am
    > wondering about the compatibility with recent OpenSUSE and the
    > aforementioned labtops? I ask because I have often heard of labtop woes
    > with linux. Is there a hardware compatibility listing for OpenSUSE that
    > I don't see, similar to Ubuntu?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    >

Yes and no. Yes, there is, at: https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Laptops

But no, right now I see neither laptop in the database. It's community created.
    So.. if you happen to take the risk and get things installed and working pretty
    well, please consider filling in the HCL wiki page with your data as this helps
    others Sys admins, like myself, we often get to "play" with different things
    before others, so I encourage those in the trade to fill in the HCL please as
    you play.

I did a recent install on a Precision M2400 (old) of 12.3, so I just updated the
    HCL (slapping myself on the hand).

Also, SUSE proper (Novell/Attachmate) has something similar at:
    https://www.suse.com/yessearch/Search.jsp

That one is more formal, but again, limited... and also particular to SUSE Linux
    Enterprise Desktop instead of openSUSE (and right now there isn't a SLED version
    that is remotely related to a supported openSUSE version, SLE is *way* behind...
    I blame Red Hat).

Quote Originally Posted by on3iropolos View Post
    I am about to make the plunge towards purchasing my desktop replacement labtop (will turn old desktop into server, CentOS is the plan) and I am wondering about the compatibility with recent OpenSUSE and the aforementioned labtops? I ask because I have often heard of labtop woes with linux. Is there a hardware compatibility listing for OpenSUSE that I don't see, similar to Ubuntu? (Answered that question...)

Thanks in advance!
    As far as I can see both those laptops are Optimus systems, you should be aware of all the troubles that means and graphics performance with Bumblebee is far from what youl'd get from an Nvidia only system. Search around in the forum for Optimus and Bumblebee and think again.

Thank you both for your responses. I will do some more research. If anybody reading happens to know a labtop with similar performance & price-range I would love to hear your suggestions.