Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network manager can't change a thing - unsufficient privileges ??

Default Network manager can't change a thing - unsufficient privileges ??

When I try to manage connections in network man simply I can't. then I try to run it as root :
    Code:
     /sbin/NetworManager
    but no window pops up. Through yast I can only select whether to control networking with ifup or with NM but nuthin else...
    13.2 KDE 64bit tumbleweed
    Lenovo G500s, Thinkpad R500

Default Re: Network manager can't change a thing - unsufficient privileges ??

Quote Originally Posted by roberto68 View Post
    Through yast I can only select whether to control networking with ifup or with NM but nuthin else...
    And wat did you choose?

When you use ifup, you can not use NetworkManager.

When you use NetworkManager, the icon should be in our KDE panel.
    Henk van Velden

if you choose network manager than there is nothing configurable in the network setting panel.
    if you choose ifap then you get to configure all manually .

Quote Originally Posted by vl1969 View Post
    if you choose ifap then you get to configure all manually .
    You can use YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings to configure it in the case of ifup.

I'm on laptop at home I use ifup and then anywhere else NM - but case is when NM is up (ifup is off) it connects just fine (default dhcp settings..) but i.e I want to create a wifi hotspot and I simply cannot

When I try to manage connections in network man simply I can't. then I try to run it as root :
    Code:
     /sbin/NetworManager
    but no window pops up. Through yast I can only select whether to control networking with ifup or with NM but nuthin else...
    YaST should allow more than just switching between ifup and NetworkManager. But most options are disabled if you use NetworkManager.

Could you maybe post a screen shot?

And NetworkManager is a daemon for managing the network configuration. It does not open a window, but just runs in the background.
    To interact with it you have to use a desktop applet or "nmcli".

... i.e I want to create a wifi hotspot and I simply cannot ...
    That is a complete surpise. It would be better that you explained what the "goal" is you are after. There are btw threads here on he forums about creating a Wifi hotspot outt of your openSUSE system (IIRC).
    Henk van Velden

Default AW: Re: Network manager can't change a thing - unsufficient privileges ??

Sorry, I just get an error message when clicking on your links:
    This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
    Could you please upload the pictures to http://susepaste.org/ ?

sorry, already make that photos custom = you'll see it. Btw can't login to suse paste - it requires openID - but my nick isn't working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast