Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video players not working after OpenSUSE install and video driver download

Default Video players not working after OpenSUSE install and video driver download

I am a new Linux user. A friend helped me install OpenSUSE 13.1 on an old 32-bit computer with a GeForce 7300 LE video card.

Graphics were all screwed up until the following were installed per forum advice: nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop, x11-video-nvidiaG02, nvidia-computeG02. Graphics now working.

Then I downloaded VLC player. It loads up, but won't play anything. Kaffeine and M-player only partially work, and are unstable also. Had not tried either of these before downloading of VLC. (Kaffeine would not play anything at all until setting was changed from "auto" to "xshm".)

Any suggestions, . . . please.

Default Re: Video players not working after OpenSUSE install and video driver download

KDE interface - (in case it matters, and isn't obvious from the files mentioned).

Default Re: Video players not working after OpenSUSE install and video driver download

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJacket View Post
    Then I downloaded VLC player. It loads up, but won't play anything. Kaffeine and M-player only partially work, and are unstable also. Had not tried either of these before downloading of VLC.
    And where did you install VLC from?
    You should not have both the VLC and the Packman repo on your system.
    Please post the output of:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    (Kaffeine would not play anything at all until setting was changed from "auto" to "xshm".)
    Please make sure you have libxine2 from Packman (click on "Versions" in YaST). The standard openSUSE version does not include VDPAU support and uses VAAPI by default, which doesn't work on nvidia cards (without manually installing "vdpau-video" from Packman).

But if MPlayer is unstable as well, the graphics driver might not work properly.
    PLease install "Mesa-demo-x" and post the output of:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "(kernel|nvidia)"
    glxinfo | grep render
    And maybe also post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log (upload to http://susepaste.org/ and post a link).

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    Yes. I followed the guide. Going to try to implement wolfi323's directions next, when I can get back to this. To wolfi323: I am not certain where I downloaded it from. All I know is that I found one that said it was for OpenSUSE 13.1. I do not have anything I can identify as the VLC repo. Do have the Packman.

You can easily check what version in Yast.

search for vlc

at bottom right use the version tab it will show what is available and what you have installed at a glance

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You can easily check what version in Yast.

search for vlc

at bottom right use the version tab it will show what is available and what you have installed at a glance
    I searched for "vlc" in the Yast control center search field and it yielded nothing. (It is on the machine - shows up in Applications and loads when clicked.)

I searched for "vlc" in the Yast control center search field and it yielded nothing. (It is on the machine - shows up in Applications and loads when clicked.)
    You need to search for it in YaST->Software Management, i.e. click on "Software Management" in the YaST Control Center and enter "vlc" into the search field in the new window that appears.

Blog Entries

Code:
    rpm -qi vlc
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Sorry thought it was obvious that we were speaking of software thus Yast-Software management is whee you want to look

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast