Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After fresh install, tons of display errors, can't see window frames or context menus

Default After fresh install, tons of display errors, can't see window frames or context menus

I'm a total noob and this is a first time install on a toshiba tecra s4, and I did check that all the hardware would be compatible beforehand, it is-- but it seems to be some sort of resolution problem and I have no idea how to do anything about it because I can't see the menus or windows really. Took 2 usb drives, a dvd, hours and a few attempts just to get the bloody OS installed at all, now this.

btw I've got KDE desktop, and the computer won't shut down from the OS, I have to force it to shut off.

really hope someone can give a straight forward fix.

Default Re: After fresh install, tons of display errors, can't see window frames or context menus

Video problem requires some info on what video you have??

Did you try booting into rescue mode?? Select advanced at the boot menu

Default Re: After fresh install, tons of display errors, can't see window frames or context menus

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Video problem requires some info on what video you have??

Did you try booting into rescue mode?? Select advanced at the boot menu
    when I use rescue mode the video problem seems to not happen at all

heres a pic i took showing the issue http://imgur.com/lDj4R3N

it was also able to power off

That is because the default video driver was replace with one that is more universal but far less capable

You have still not said what video card/chip so we can't instruct you further until you do. Our crystal ball is in the shop.

You probable need to install another driver but we can't guess which

If it is an Intel video then be sure to do the updates since there was a problem that is corrected in them.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    That is because the default video driver was replace with one that is more universal but far less capable

You have still not said what video card/chip so we can't instruct you further until you do. Our crystal ball is in the shop.

You probable need to install another driver but we can't guess which

If it is an Intel video then be sure to do the updates since there was a problem that is corrected in them.
    I never changed the graphics in it so it should be the stock one which is supposedly NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M

do I need a driver specific to opensuse or any linux?

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
    I never changed the graphics in it so it should be the stock one which is supposedly NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M

do I need a driver specific to opensuse or any linux?
    Not necessarily. You could install the generic linux driver from nvidia's website.

But I would recommend to use the packages from nvidia's opensuse repositories:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

For your card you can use the latest G03 driver, i.e. the one labelled "for GeForce 8 and later"/"for GeForce 8xxx and newer".

My preferred way of installing it:
    - Enter YaST->Software Repositories, click on "Add", select "Community Repositories" and add the nVidida Repository there.
    - Then enter YaST->Software Management, type "nvidia" (without the quotes) into the search field and install the following packages (they might even be selected already):
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop, x11-video-nvidiaG03, nvidia-glG03, nvidia-computeG03
    Then when the packages are installed, reboot and the nvidia driver should be in use.

Please note that this list only applies if you are using kernel-desktop! If you use kernel-default f.e. (you can either check which kernel-xxx packages are installed in YaST, or run "uname -a" in a terminal window; if in doubt better just ask), you would have to install nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default instead of nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Not necessarily. You could install the generic linux driver from nvidia's website.

But I would recommend to use the packages from nvidia's opensuse repositories:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

For your card you can use the latest G03 driver, i.e. the one labelled "for GeForce 8 and later"/"for GeForce 8xxx and newer".

My preferred way of installing it:
    - Enter YaST->Software Repositories, click on "Add", select "Community Repositories" and add the nVidida Repository there.
    - Then enter YaST->Software Management, type "nvidia" (without the quotes) into the search field and install the following packages (they might even be selected already):
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop, x11-video-nvidiaG03, nvidia-glG03, nvidia-computeG03
    Then when the packages are installed, reboot and the nvidia driver should be in use.

Please note that this list only applies if you are using kernel-desktop! If you use kernel-default f.e. (you can either check which kernel-xxx packages are installed in YaST, or run "uname -a" in a terminal window; if in doubt better just ask), you would have to install nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default instead of nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop.
    OK that all sounds really straight forward as long as I can do that all in rescue mode

will give it a try thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
    OK that all sounds really straight forward as long as I can do that all in rescue mode
    Yes you can.
    And if for some reason your system does not start with the nvidia driver, you should still be able to enter recovery mode.

In that case please provide the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (upload to http://susepaste.org/ and post a link).

a word of wisdom (based on personal experience)...
    try setting it up using XFACE or LXDE desktop. they seam to work better out of the box.
    KDE have issues with nVideo that can be fixed but not very easy to do so when your monitor is barely readable.

I went through this just last week trying to setup my HP Pavilion laptop.
    LiveCD and full KDE and Gnome install from live cd and DVD did not work.
    could not do anything ,barely could see the desktop etc.
    finally installed nVidia drivers(was not sure I had nvidia, had to run terminal and lspci to check hardware, googled "opensuse nvideo drivers" and found site with click once driver install) after that the video was fixed but the machine was slow, very slow.
    so dumped it and reinstall with LXDE using full DVD setup . totally different experience.

It worked right from the start. no slowdowns, desktop fully working and responsive.
    run the updates, searched the drivers again and run the one click install.
    fully functioning machine in a bout 40 min.
    it took me around 6 hours overall to test and try all the previous installs,with downloads and disk writing, installs, and struggle with not responsive screens and all,
    and it took me total of less than 3 hours to get it working with full DVD setup and LXDE desktop including all the updates, search and configure wireless card, sound card etc.

so try that.

Quote Originally Posted by vl1969 View Post
    a word of wisdom (based on personal experience)...
    try setting it up using XFACE or LXDE desktop. they seam to work better out of the box.
    KDE have issues with nVideo that can be fixed but not very easy to do so when your monitor is barely readable.

I went through this just last week trying to setup my HP Pavilion laptop.
    LiveCD and full KDE and Gnome install from live cd and DVD did not work.
    could not do anything ,barely could see the desktop etc.
    finally installed nVidia drivers(was not sure I had nvidia, had to run terminal and lspci to check hardware, googled "opensuse nvideo drivers" and found site with click once driver install) after that the video was fixed but the machine was slow, very slow.
    so dumped it and reinstall with LXDE using full DVD setup . totally different experience.
    I cannot confirm that.
    While I only have a radeon and intel system myself (where KDE works very well), I also never seen any problem like this on my girlfriend's nvidia system.
    KDE runs perfectly well there, even with the nouveau driver (I tried that recently as a test).

YMMV, of course.
    You should have at least 1GiB RAM for KDE nowadays though, XFCE or LXDE might still run well with less.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Mar-2014 at 10:53.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast