FTP question

Hello I am new to this forum but not new to linux. I am taking some advanced classes and sys admin stuff. I am having trouble locating a file for my class. I am look for the standard FTP deny file for FTP. I do not know what this file is. I believe it is in /etc and may be in xinetd. can someone point me in the right direction please and thank you. I am running Opensuse 11.4.

On 2014-03-18 21:26, ewspahn wrote:
>
> Hello I am new to this forum but not new to linux. I am taking some
> advanced classes and sys admin stuff. I am having trouble locating a
> file for my class. I am look for the standard FTP deny file for FTP. I
> do not know what this file is. I believe it is in /etc and may be in
> xinetd. can someone point me in the right direction please and thank
> you. I am running Opensuse 11.4.

Maybe you mean “/etc/hosts.deny”, but it is not specific to the ftp
server. That one will depend on the ftp server implementation you use.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

When you are not new to Linux, you should know that such information normaly is in the man page of a program.

And like Carlos said, it depends on which FTP daemon you use, which man page you have to consult. Thus it could be:

man  pure-ftpd

or

man vfstpd

or different. And they will only be on your system when you have installed them.

And then it is quite possible that you come to the conclusion that the different FTP server implementations use different ways of configuration and that thus there may even not be a “standard FTP deny file for FTP”.

And maybe you mean the file ftpusers. Again see

man ftpusers

were you will read that it is at /etc/ftpusers and that it depends on the ftp server software you use if it is honoured.