Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

  1. #1

    Default Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Hello.
    I need help with one strange problem. I'm trying to install drivers for my gpu (NVIDIA 635M) this is one with optimus. I'm using this tutorial:
    http://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.c...bumblebee.html

    Now, I'm stuck when I try to install x11-video-nvidia. Every time I get this:

    Code:
    
    2014-03-18 18:59:46 (212 KB/s) - 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run' saved [60102684/60102684]
    
    
    check sums and md5 sums are ok
    Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 331.49.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    mv: cannot move 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49' to 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.new/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49': Directory not empty
    error: %pre(x11-video-nvidia-331.49-1.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error: x11-video-nvidia-331.49-1.1.x86_64: install failed
    I don't really know what is going on, google does not help.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    EDIT

    Also installing dkms-bbswitch returns this:

    Code:
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    But I did
    # zypper in -t pattern devel_kernel
    so I think I should have kernel source.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassith View Post
    Code:
    
    2014-03-18 18:59:46 (212 KB/s) - 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run' saved [60102684/60102684]
    
    
    check sums and md5 sums are ok
    Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 331.49.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    mv: cannot move 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49' to 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.new/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49': Directory not empty
     error: %pre(x11-video-nvidia-331.49-1.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error: x11-video-nvidia-331.49-1.1.x86_64: install failed
    Apparently that directory already exists. Remove it and try to install x11-video-nvidia again:
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49*
    sudo zypper in -f x11-video-nvidia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassith View Post
    Also installing dkms-bbswitch returns this:

    Code:
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    But I did
    # zypper in -t pattern devel_kernel
    so I think I should have kernel source.
    Well, which kernel packages do you have installed?
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Apparently that directory already exists. Remove it and try to install x11-video-nvidia again:
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49*
    sudo zypper in -f x11-video-nvidia
    I've done it many times with no luck. When I remove those files I get the same error but without

    Code:
    mv: cannot move 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49' to 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.new/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49': Directory not empty
    Now I'll try to force it.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, which kernel packages do you have installed?
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-default-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130714git-2.5.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-debug-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-devel_kernel-13.1-13.6.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-debug-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-docs-3.11.10-7.3.noarch
    
    # uname -r
    3.11.10-7-desktop

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Forced installation changes nothing. It also shows that removing old files returns the same error.

    Code:
    # zypper in -f x11-video-nvidia
    
    2014-03-18 19:45:37 (198 KB/s) - 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run' saved [60102684/60102684]
    
    
    check sums and md5 sums are ok
    Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 331.49.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    error: %pre(x11-video-nvidia-331.49-1.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    error: x11-video-nvidia-331.49-1.1.x86_64: install failed

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassith View Post
    I've done it many times with no luck. When I remove those files I get the same error but without

    Code:
    mv: cannot move 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49' to 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.new/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49': Directory not empty
    OK, but then it's a different issue now.
    Maybe the same as with dkms-bbswitch.

    Now I'll try to force it.
    That won't help. If the installation fails, it fails. You cannot force it to not fail...


    Code:
    # rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-default-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130714git-2.5.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-debug-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-devel_kernel-13.1-13.6.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-debug-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-docs-3.11.10-7.3.noarch
    
    # uname -r
    3.11.10-7-desktop
    Why do you have kernel-default installed as well? Try to remove that.
    And try to install kernel-source and and the devel packages for the older 3.11.6 kernel as well which you also have installed:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in kernel-source-3.11.6 kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.6 kernel-syms-3.11.6

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Why do you have kernel-default installed as well? Try to remove that.
    And try to install kernel-source and and the devel packages for the older 3.11.6 kernel as well which you also have installed:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in kernel-source-3.11.6 kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.6 kernel-syms-3.11.6
    I was using default and I don't know why do I have desktop. Do you think that I can remove desktop and use default instead?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassith View Post
    I was using default and I don't know why do I have desktop. Do you think that I can remove desktop and use default instead?
    Of course, if you prefer that.
    Just a note though: kernel-desktop is _not_ intended for desktop systems as opposed to laptops. It is a kernel specifically tuned for graphical desktop usage (i.e. Xorg).

    You should install the devel packages for the 3.11.6 kernel nevertheless, as you also have kernel-default-3.11.6 installed.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    From now on I'll use desktop as you said.
    But now in the Software Manager I have something like this:



    Code:
    sudo zypper in kernel-source-3.11.6 kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.6 kernel-syms-3.11.6
    It seems that this installed older kernel-default-devel aswell. After I uninstalled kernel-default YaST2 automatically installed older version of kernel-default-base.

    Now I'll try to install nvidia drivers.
    Last edited by Lucassith; 18-Mar-2014 at 12:29. Reason: typos

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can't install drivers for NVIDIA - Optimus. OpenSUSE 13.1

    Well many thanks, nvidia drivers have installed but bbswitch still returns error

    Code:
    2014-03-18 20:42:37 (227 KB/s) - 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run' saved [60102684/60102684]
    
    check sums and md5 sums are ok
    Creating directory NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 331.49.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    
    
    
    
    (3/6) Instalowanie: primus-20131226-3.1 ..............................................................................[gotowe]
    (4/6) Instalowanie: dkms-2.2.0.3-16.1 ................................................................................[gotowe]
    (5/6) Instalowanie: dkms-nvidia-331.49-10.1 ..........................................................................[gotowe]
    Dodatkowe wyjście rpm:
    check sums and md5 sums are ok
    
    
    
    
    (6/6) Instalowanie: dkms-bbswitch-0.8-6.1 ............................................................................[gotowe]
    Dodatkowe wyjście rpm:
    
    
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    Should I ignore that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •