Can't copy mp3 files to USB Walkman Sony NWZ-B173F

Dear all,

I am on openSUSE 13.1, KDE. My problem is that when I plug the USB mp3 player into the laptop, I get the device notifier working, I can choose to open the mp3 USB storage with Dolphin, but when I try to copy files into the mp3 folder (on the USB), I don’t have any option for that (the Paste option is greyed out)! Can it be a permission issue, or what exactly? lsusb shows me that the USB device has been properly detected, and since I can access it, I am sure that that is the case.

I can see on Dolphin that the folder is opened under “camera” (on the navigation bar). When I try to create a new folder, it prompts me with “Creating folders is not supported with protocol camera”.

Thank you.

When I’m plugging in my player, i get three options in my system tray: camera, open with file manager, and a third one. Have you tried opening it as a mass storage device with file manager?

My wife has a Sony NWZ-A818 which appears to exhibit broadly similar symptoms. Note that the Sony NWZ-A818 is not recognized by openSUSE 13.1 as an ordinary mass storage device. Currently KDE’s file manager Dolphin does not handle the Sony NWZ-A818 properly but Gnome’s file manager “Files” (formerly called Nautilus) does. “Files” allows me to copy files to and from the Sony NWZ-A818 (between two windows) via copy/paste or drag and drop. It looks as if “Files” could therefore provide a simple solution for your Sony NWZ-B173F problem. Installing Gnome applications on a KDE system and vice versa is perfectly OK.

PS you would need to search for “Nautilus” in Yast rather than “Files”.

Thanks, dude, how dumb do you think I am, seriously? :slight_smile:

Nautilus was a way cooler name than Files, but heck…what can one do about it?

Are there any other known working methods for making it work? I hate installing Gnome utilities in KDE, it produces a mess. I so freaking like Dolphin…

I can confirm the same issues as Bloggs_J. I tried opening it with file manager, as suggested by holden87, but it still does not work!!!

I am not aware of any but I am not a KDE expert. However if nobody else gives you a better answer, perhaps you might want to consider submitting a bug report on Bugzilla. A quick check in Bugzilla -> Free Software Projects -> KDE -> Quick Search = “Dolphin” suggested that no such bug has so far been reported. Caveat: My own experience of bug report submissions is that they can consume a lot of time and effort (I hope you don’t think I am patronising you again) so just in case you haven’t done one before be prepared for it.

I cannot do this. It’s not a bug. Bugs are those IDIOTIC companies that do not give a **** about Open Source, that don’t care to provide drivers for Linux. Those are the real bugs!

I use JSymphonic, a java based Sony Walkman manager.
I’m using it on a fourth generation NWA-XX series walkman which is now pretty old but I think it is still developed with new Walkmans added.

edit: also this might be of some help if you just want to drag and drop
http://askubuntu.com/questions/326019/sony-walkman-nwz-b173f-12-04-support

Try installing and using Krusader. It’s for KDE, and just may do something Dolphin will not.
Howard

Sorry but I can’t detect much of a reasoned argument there. How do you explain the different results between Nautilus and Dolphin?

I use Krusader regularly so I tried it early on without success. The Mountman module in Krusader appears unable find walkmans such as the Sony NWZ-A818 since walkmans apparently are not recognised as ordinary mass storage devices.

This will be my last post in this thread. I was just trying to be helpful, not to offend KDE purists. My attitude is that both Gnome and KDE have their strengths and weaknesses but that is another (controversial) story.

I’ve similar problem with phillips player, it can be permission issue - try to copy some file in bash as root - if it’s that case create fstab entry for your player. Otherwise… I hope if via bash it should go anyway

It would appear that on Mar 18, riderplus did say:

> Are there any other known working methods for making it work? I hate
> installing Gnome utilities in KDE, it produces a mess. I so freaking
> like Dolphin…

AND it seems that on Mar 20, roberto68 did say:

> I’ve similar problem with phillips player, it can be permission issue -
> try to copy some file in bash as root - if it’s that case create fstab
> entry for your player. Otherwise… I hope if via bash it should go
> anyway

Can’t say I know for sure, (don’t have an mp3 player to test it on),

But this could be a gui methods problem…

Once I’d reliably ID’d the player’s device {perhaps by UUID or even
/dev/disk/by-id/} then I’d go with an fstab entry to some custom
mountpoint. In which fstab entry, I’d try the user option so that
{hopefully} I wouldn’t need a root shell every time I mounted it.:

I’d open an xterm (maybe konsole) type mc to start an midnight commander
{text based} twin panel file manager, navigate one panel to the dir with the
mp3 files, the other {via “mount mountpoint”} to the mp3players filesystem.
select the desired files, and hit F5…

Or if you really detest working inside a terminal emulator, the KDE app
Krusader would likely work…

The key is getting the UUID or by-id ID of the mp3 device. I tend to use
fdisk -l to extract the current volatile device name of the device in
question. Then I can browse the /dev/disk/ subdirs with mc, looking for
it, or using a flashdrive I’ve currently got on /dev/sdcX as an example:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid | grep sdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 23 18:23 2c6856df-82cb-4b0f-8e42-8af866611ee5 -> ../../sdc3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 23 18:23 5b15bd4d-28c4-455a-a787-f921faf78f9d -> ../../sdc2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 23 18:23 70F0-67FE -> ../../sdc1

Once I’ve got a working fstab entry, It’s easy (even scriptable) for my
normal user to mount/umount the device at will…

Usually works for me…

JtWdyP