Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD / Intel drivers problem

Default Re: AMD / Intel drivers problem

Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauce View Post
    Yes, but as far as I could see thee EEID did not list, report, a range either; but it was a guess.
    Ok, but this shouldn't prevent Xorg from starting.
    The driver seems to select 1366x768 as graphics mode, which sounds reasonable to me, but in the worst case there would just be no or a distorted display.
    But without a current Xorg log, this is all guessing now anyway I think.
    And to clarify: Xorg is still not starting when fglrx is installed, right? Or is there a different problem now?
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-May-2015 at 04:22.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Ok, but this shouldn't prevent Xorg from starting.
    The driver seems to select 1366x768 as graphics mode, which sounds reasonable to me, but in the worst case there would just be no or a distorted display.
    But without a current Xorg log, this is all guessing now anyway I think.
    And to clarify: Xorg is still not starting when fglrx is installed, right? Or is there a different problem now?
    Yes, I think it's the same problem.
    She'll probably pop in sometime later, she may provide the current Xorg log then.
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Hello! Thank you for your responses! Excuse me for the delay my reply.

Unfortunately, installing the driver in 1-click hasn't helped...

About my system:
    Code:
     # uname -a
    Linux friend 3.11.10-29-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 5 16:24:00 UTC 2015 (338c513) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    # lsb_release -idrc
    Distributor ID: openSUSE project
    Description:    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)
    Release:        13.1
    Codename:       Bottle
    # lspci -nnk | grep 'VGA\|ATI' --after-context=3
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
            Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3800]
            Kernel driver in use: i915
            Kernel modules: i915
    --
    01:00.0 Display controller [0380]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M] [1002:6600]
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
            Kernel modules: radeon, fglrx
    Below there are steps, performed by me during this installation.

1. Uninstalled previous fglrx:
    Code:
    {Load into init 3}
    ~# cd {path_to_fglrx}
    path_to_fglrx # ./amd-driver-installer-14.501.1003-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall
    path_to_fglrx # reboot
    System starts almost properly. One obvious impropriety -- Skype doesn't start because of libGL.so:
    Code:
    > skype 
    skype: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    > l /usr/lib64 | grep 'libGL.so'
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       21 Jun  1 14:32 libGL.so -> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1*
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       14 Jun  1 14:32 libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2.0*
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root   384976 Nov 28  2013 libGL.so.1.2.0*
    I haven't tried to fix this. Now this is not the main subject.
    Corresponding Xorg.0.log, dmesg (just in case).

2. Went to the given by F_Sauce link and clicked "Install FGLRX via 1-click" button.
    Message from YaST2:

-----------------------------
    If you continue, the following changes will be made to your system:
    Repositories to be added:
    http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fglrx/openSUSE_13.1/ (AMD-FGLRX)
    Note:

You will remain subscribed to these repositories after installation.
    Software to be installed:
    fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131

Installed the driver with default settings.

3. Tried to execute Catalyst Control Center (Administrative); obtained the following error message:

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

4. Did this:
    Code:
    # rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    # aticonfig --initial
    {I had forgotten to delete xorg.conf after uninstalling previous driver}

5. Switched to the AMD card and reboot:
    Code:
    # aticonfig --pxl
    PowerXpress: Integrated GPU is active (Power-Saving mode).
    # aticonfig --px-dgpu
    PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx:
    Switch to AMD

PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibGL:
    Switch to AMD
    /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

PowerXpress: Discrete GPU is selected (High-Performance mode), please restart Xserver(s) for changes to take effect!
    # aticonfig --pxl
    PowerXpress: Discrete GPU is active (High-Performance mode)
    # reboot
    X doesn't start. Corresponding Xorg.0.log and dmesg.

6. Started X with the Intel card: change standard xorg.conf, produced with aticonfig --initial, with file of the following content,
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier    "Lout"
    EndSection
    Performed this:
    Code:
    # aticonfig --px-igpu
    # reboot
    I would like to give two comments about this.

Warnings about libOpenCL.so.1 haven't appear with fglrx from amd.com site. It isn't really a symbolic link, but on a desktop machine with AMD card it isn't also a symbolic link and everything works fine there.

The following warnings in dmesg of the run with fglrx
    Code:
    vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device
    can be removed via recompiling kernel with the following change in the /usr/src/linux-3.11.10-29/drivers/gpu/vga/vgaarb.c file, instead of one commented-out line with PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY_VGA:
    Code:
            /* Only deal with VGA class devices */
    //++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    //      if ((pdev->class >> 8) != PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY_VGA)
            int pci_class = pdev->class >> 8;

if(pci_class != PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY_VGA &&
                pci_class != PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY_OTHER)
    //++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    return false;
    But this still cannot solve the problem with impossibility to allocate memory for graphics (end of dmesg) and (consequently?) with CMMQS connection. Anyway, graphics doesn't run with the AMD card.

Please, help me.

Regards, Natalia

By the way, Skype still doesn't start. But, I think, this may be solved much easier than the problem with graphics... I think, I can solve it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by natasha View Post
    Unfortunately, installing the driver in 1-click hasn't helped...
    I hope you removed the previous driver installation first?

About my system:
    Code:
    01:00.0 Display controller [0380]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M] [1002:6600]
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
    In this case, radeon is in use, not fglrx. But fglrx is also installed.
    You need to blacklist radeon. But is this now with fglrx installed from AMD, or via the packages?

Below there are steps, performed by me during this installation.

1. Uninstalled previous fglrx:
    Code:
    {Load into init 3}
    ~# cd {path_to_fglrx}
    path_to_fglrx # ./amd-driver-installer-14.501.1003-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall
    path_to_fglrx # reboot
    System starts almost properly. One obvious impropriety -- Skype doesn't start because of libGL.so:
    Code:
    > skype 
    skype: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    > l /usr/lib64 | grep 'libGL.so'
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       21 Jun  1 14:32 libGL.so -> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1*
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       14 Jun  1 14:32 libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2.0*
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root   384976 Nov 28  2013 libGL.so.1.2.0*
    I haven't tried to fix this. Now this is not the main subject.
    Corresponding Xorg.0.log, dmesg (just in case).
    You should fix this. Because this means that fglrx is not completely uninstalled.
    And that's likely to cause problems for further fglrx installations...

2. Went to the given by F_Sauce link and clicked "Install FGLRX via 1-click" button.
    Message from YaST2:

If you continue, the following changes will be made to your system:
    Repositories to be added:
    http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fglrx/openSUSE_13.1/ (AMD-FGLRX)
    Note:

You will remain subscribed to these repositories after installation.
    Software to be installed:
    fglrx64_xpic_SUSE131

Installed the driver with default settings.
    Again, did you remove the manual installation first?

3. Tried to execute Catalyst Control Center (Administrative); obtained the following error message:

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
    So the fglrx driver was still not working/in use.

4. Did this:
    Code:
    # rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    # aticonfig --initial
    {I had forgotten to delete xorg.conf after uninstalling previous driver}
    I would suggest you try completely without xorg.conf first until everything is working. An xorg.conf is not necessary to use fglrx.

5. Switched to the AMD card and reboot:
    X doesn't start. Corresponding Xorg.0.log and dmesg.
    Now fglrx crashes again.

Well, I would remove all the fglrx driver installations first. (uninstall all packages with fglrx in the name, then run "/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh")
    Boot up and verify that everything (including OpenGL) is working on the intel chip, look into the Xorg log to verify that (only) intel is in use.

Then try to install the latest beta version with Sebastian Siebert's script:
    https://www.sebastian-siebert.de/
    (if you need help with the site's german, please ask)
    Again, do not create an xorg.conf yet!

Does the system boot successful then? Please post the Xorg.0.log...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 01-Jun-2015 at 06:25.

Yes, before 1-click installation I have removed previous fglrx via ./amd-driver-installer-14.501.1003-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall.

I will try again.

verify that (only) intel is in use
    Should I uninstall also the radeon driver?

Should I uninstall also the radeon driver?
    No.
    You can't uninstall the kernel driver anyway, as it is part of the kernel package.

I have uninstalled fglrx with zypper:
    Code:
    # zypper rm fglrx*
    After this directory /usr/share/ati contained three empty directories,
    Code:
    # ls /usr/share/ati
    amdcccle   lib   lib64
    so, I have removed /usr/share/ati folder at all.
    Then I rebooted the machine and removed residuals of fglrx in /usr/lib64 (folder fglrx switchlibGL.initial inside) and in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions.

The problem with Skype happened because both libGL.so.1 and libGL.so.1.2.0 were absent (libGL.so.1 is symbolic link to libGL.so.1.2.0) in /usr/lib directory. After update of Mesa-libGL1-32bit from YaST they have appeared and Skype works. Just in case I have updated everything returned by YaST2 on search-word "libGL" among installed.

look into the Xorg log to verify that (only) intel
    I have blacklisted radeon, so only intel driver is loaded (Xorg.0.log, glxinfo).

But fglrx is still present among kernels,
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
    --
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8172 Fast Ethernet [1969:10a0] (rev 10)
    however,
    Code:
    # modprobe fglrx
    FATAL: Could not read '/lib/modules/3.11.10-29-desktop/extra/fglrx.ko': No such file or directory
    so, it seems to be absent.

Is this correct?

I will try the script by Sebastian Siebert (Thank you for suggestion to help with German. It is not my native language and I haven't studied it with any teachers, but I have faced it a little bit. So, first, I will try to understand the manual with help of Google and dictionaries ). There shouldn't be problems with GDM, since I use LightDM.

Then I rebooted the machine and removed residuals of fglrx in /usr/lib64 (folder fglrx switchlibGL.initial inside) and in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions.

The problem with Skype happened because both libGL.so.1 and libGL.so.1.2.0 were absent (libGL.so.1 is symbolic link to libGL.so.1.2.0) in /usr/lib directory. After update of Mesa-libGL1-32bit from YaST they have appeared and Skype works. Just in case I have updated everything returned by YaST2 on search-word "libGL" among installed.
    Good.

I have blacklisted radeon, so only intel driver is loaded (Xorg.0.log, glxinfo).
    Looks fine, but there's no point in blacklisting radeon at this point.
    You only need to blacklist it when wanting to use fglrx, but if you install it via the packages or Sebastian Siebert's script, you don't have to do that manually anyway.

But fglrx is still present among kernels,
    Code:
    --
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8172 Fast Ethernet [1969:10a0] (rev 10)
    however,
    Code:
    # modprobe fglrx
    FATAL: Could not read '/lib/modules/3.11.10-29-desktop/extra/fglrx.ko': No such file or directory
    so, it seems to be absent.
    Well, yes and no.
    It is there as a symlink it seems that is pointing to nowhere.

Let's first make sure that it's not there, an older version that's still there and maybe is loaded can definitely cause problems I suppose.

First, remove that whole /lib/modules/3.11.10-29-desktop/extra/ folder, there shouldn't be anything else in it.
    Then remove similar "extra" folders in the other /lib/modules/xxx/ directories.

Now let's verify that there's no fglrx module left:
    Code:
    find /lib/modules/ -name fglrx*
    If that doesn't find anything, please run "sudo depmod -a", and then "sudo mkinitrd", to be sure there are no traces left.
    After a reboot, fglrx should not be shown any more in the lspci output.

Then you can try again to install fglrx.

I will try the script by Sebastian Siebert (Thank you for suggestion to help with German. It is not my native language and I haven't studied it with any teachers, but I have faced it a little bit. So, first, I will try to understand the manual with help of Google and dictionaries ).
    Instructions in english for how to use the script are available here: (it isn't too complicated)
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglr...e_rpm_yourself
    You just have to change the version number accordingly in the script's name.

Hello!

. . . remove that whole /lib/modules/3.11.10-29-desktop/extra/ folder . . .
    . . . remove similar "extra" folders in the other /lib/modules/xxx/ directories . . .
    Done.

Code:
    # find /lib/modules/ -name fglrx*
    # depmod -a
    # mkinitrd

Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.10-29-desktop
    Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-3.11.10-29-desktop
    KMS drivers:     i915
    Root device:    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2SMJ9DD436018-part6 (/dev/sda6) (mounted on / as ext4)
    Resume device:  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2SMJ9DD436018-part5 (/dev/sda5)
    Microcode: Adding Intel microcode 06-3a-09
    Kernel Modules: thermal_sys thermal processor fan scsi_dh scsi_dh_rdac scsi_dh_alua scsi_dh_hp_sw scsi_dh_emc video button i2c-algo-bit drm drm_kms_helper i915 xhci-hcd hid-logitech-dj hid-holtek-kbd hid-lenovo-tpkbd hid-ortek hid-roccat hid-roccat-common hid-roccat-arvo hid-roccat-isku hid-samsung ohci-pci 
    Features:       acpi intel_microcode kms plymouth block usb resume.userspace resume.kernel

Kernel image:   /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.10-29-DisplayController
    Initrd image:   /boot/initrd-3.11.10-29-DisplayController
    KMS drivers:     i915
    Root device:    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2SMJ9DD436018-part6 (/dev/sda6) (mounted on / as ext4)
    Resume device:  /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB_S2SMJ9DD436018-part5 (/dev/sda5)
    Microcode: Adding Intel microcode 06-3a-09
    Kernel Modules: thermal_sys thermal processor fan scsi_dh scsi_dh_rdac scsi_dh_alua scsi_dh_hp_sw scsi_dh_emc video button i2c-algo-bit drm drm_kms_helper i915 xhci-hcd hid-logitech-dj hid-holtek-kbd hid-lenovo-tpkbd hid-ortek hid-roccat hid-roccat-common hid-roccat-arvo hid-roccat-isku hid-samsung ohci-pci 
    Features:       acpi intel_microcode kms plymouth block usb resume.userspace resume.kernel
    Actually, after reboot fglrx is absent in the output:
    Code:
    --
            Kernel modules: radeon
    Then, I have tried the script by S. Siebert as follows:
    downloaded .sh-file, checked SHA-1, performed this
    Code:
    # chown root:root makerpm-amd-15.3-beta.sh && chmod 744 makerpm-amd-15.3-beta.sh
    # ./makerpm-amd-15.3-beta.sh -i
    It writes that my graphic card isn't supported:
    Code:
    Error: This graphics card is not supported by AMD Catalyst 15.3-beta
    The same with 14.12 version of the script.

What should I do? Should I try to run it with -nohw?

Actually, after reboot fglrx is absent in the output:
    Code:
    --
            Kernel modules: radeon
    Ok, looks clean now.

It writes that my graphic card isn't supported:
    Code:
    Error: This graphics card is not supported by AMD Catalyst 15.3-beta
    The same with 14.12 version of the script.
    Hm, that would of course explain why the fglrx driver wasn't working...

But actually a "Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M" should be supported.

What should I do? Should I try to run it with -nohw?
    Might be worth a try, yes.
    If the driver supports your card, it should work then.

Somebody did apparently have the same problem with the same card though:
    https://www.sebastian-siebert.de/201.../#comment-4809
    Unfortunately it seems the driver did not work after forcing the installation...

So I have no idea, seems to be a problem with fglrx itself. Maybe file a bug at AMD, or maybe try to contact Sebastian Siebert on his blog e.g. (even though that page is in german, he is perfectly capable of communicating in english AFAIK... )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast