Create USB stick for 13.1 using Kernel 3.13

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to create a live USB using 13.1 but swapping out the 3.11 Kernel for 3.13. My reason for this is that I want to test a couple of laptops that have ATI HD 4000 and HD 3000 series GPUs in them and there have been some great strides made in the Radeon open-source drivers and power management features since the Kernel 3.11. I’ve tested them already using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta and I’m very impressed by the improvements, however I’d much prefer to use OpenSuse. Has anyone else tried this ? I’ve got a feeling there may be no quick and dirty way to do this and have to build it in Suse Studio. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks.

On Sun 16 Mar 2014 09:06:01 PM CDT, Dragon32 wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to create a live
USB using 13.1 but swapping out the 3.11 Kernel for 3.13. My reason for
this is that I want to test a couple of laptops that have ATI HD 4000
and HD 3000 series GPUs in them and there have been some great strides
made in the Radeon open-source drivers and power management features
since the Kernel 3.11. I’ve tested them already using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
beta and I’m very impressed by the improvements, however I’d much prefer
to use OpenSuse. Has anyone else tried this ? I’ve got a feeling there
may be no quick and dirty way to do this and have to build it in Suse
Studio. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Hi
Use SUSE Studio and add the kernel repo to use the later kernel, build
you live version. https://susestudio.com

Else grab the 13.1 rescue cd, install that to a usb and then add the
newer kernel, as in add the kernel repo and update.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks Malcolm, thought I might have to do it one of those two ways.

That won’t work.

Sure, you can update software on the rescue image, if installed to a USB. But it will not boot from an updated kernel. Updating software does not change the boot configuration. The installed files are only made available after boot.

Hi
Hmmmm, I can access the boot files and directories on the usb device, all you need is the initrd and linux (that’s all syslinux.cfg looks for) files, plus can build an efi file from the mod files?

Guess I need to try it out… but much easier to use SUSE Studio…

It looks to me as if it boots using the kernel at “/boot/x86_64/loader/linux”. And that is not where a new kernel will install.

Shortly after boot, the visible file system is overlaid by a squashfs file system, and that contains the “/boot” that you see when running from the USB. The hybrid partition is also part of the overlay, and anything that you install goes into the hybrid partition. So a new kernel that you install will go into the hybrid partition. But the setting up of the overlay of the squashfs and hyrbid partitions cannot happen until booted. So I’m pretty sure that “uname -a” will show that you are booted from the kernel in the original rescue disk image.

I admit that I have not tested this. I have just noticed that the kernel and initrd used in the USB boot are not the ones in the standard place.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Ended up building with SUSE Studio and I’m happy to say everything went like a dream. I’ve never used Suse Studio before, wow I’m impressed.

:slight_smile: