Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't play MP4/DVD in Totem on XFCE

Unhappy Can't play MP4/DVD in Totem on XFCE

Hi all,

Is sad, because every time I try to install OpenSUSE, I have problems with it. So I give up, go to Ubuntu, Debian... even Slackware. But in OpenSUSE, I just can't make work.

I'm not a genius in GNU/Linux, but I'm not a beginner too... at least... I think.

I'm trying to play encoded DVD with Totem, or even a MP4 file. But don't work. Every time they ask for plugins, and when I click to search, Totem cannot find.

I added Packman and DVDCSS repositories, but don't work. The only method I found to made the system use all libraries from Packman was from zypper, in terminal. All the other options using Yast2 I cannot find.

In installation, I notice that fluendo-mp3 is installed. But, without Packman, Totem and Rythmbox don't play MP3 files.

I'm using OpenSUSE 13.1 with XFCE, installed from DVD.

Please, this is killing me, I think that is something very basic that I missed.

How can I fix it?

Default Re: Can't play MP4/DVD in Totem on XFCE

Quote Originally Posted by l2mago View Post
    Hi all,

Is sad, because every time I try to install OpenSUSE, I have problems with it. So I give up, go to Ubuntu, Debian... even Slackware. But in OpenSUSE, I just can't make work.

I'm not a genius in GNU/Linux, but I'm not a beginner too... at least... I think.

I'm trying to play encoded DVD with Totem, or even a MP4 file. But don't work. Every time they ask for plugins, and when I click to search, Totem cannot find.

I added Packman and DVDCSS repositories, but don't work. The only method I found to made the system use all libraries from Packman was from zypper, in terminal. All the other options using Yast2 I cannot find.

In installation, I notice that fluendo-mp3 is installed. But, without Packman, Totem and Rythmbox don't play MP3 files.

I'm using OpenSUSE 13.1 with XFCE, installed from DVD.

Please, this is killing me, I think that is something very basic that I missed.

How can I fix it?
    Install all the gstreamer-plugins-* packages from Packman (with YaST->Software Management f.e.), especially gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon, gstreamer-plugins-ugly-addon and gstreamer-plugins-libav. (other necessary packages should then be installed automatically)
    And install libdvdcss2.

Just adding the repos alone doesn't change anything on your system.
    And gstreamer's codec search/automatic installation doesn't work apparently when more than one version of the codec is found (1.0 in the standard repo, 1.2 on Packman) unfortunately.

MP3s should work though. Do you have gstreamer-fluendo-mp3 installed? (this is what you need for totem and rhythmbox) Or only gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3?
    But when you install the other codecs, MP3s would work as well even without the fluendo codec.

Default Everything work on VLC

Hi,

Just back here to say that everything work on VLC: MP3, MP4 and DVD.

But I'm still curious how to make it work with default applications.

Thanks

Default Re: Everything work on VLC

But I'm still curious how to make it work with default applications.
    See my previous post.
    In particular, install the following packages and it should work:
    gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon, gstreamer-plugins-ugly-addon and gstreamer-plugins-libav.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Mar-2014 at 13:41.

Smile Re: Can't play MP4/DVD in Totem on XFCE

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Install all the gstreamer-plugins-* packages from Packman (with YaST->Software Management f.e.), especially gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon, gstreamer-plugins-ugly-addon and gstreamer-plugins-libav. (other necessary packages should then be installed automatically)
    And install libdvdcss2.

Just adding the repos alone doesn't change anything on your system.
    And gstreamer's codec search/automatic installation doesn't work apparently when more than one version of the codec is found (1.0 in the standard repo, 1.2 on Packman) unfortunately.

MP3s should work though. Do you have gstreamer-fluendo-mp3 installed? (this is what you need for totem and rhythmbox) Or only gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3?
    But when you install the other codecs, MP3s would work as well even without the fluendo codec.
    Hi, thanks for reply.

I not only add the repositories, I install codecs too. With one of these "One Click Install" from here: https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...allation-Guide and http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php and here http://opensuse-community.org/ chosing Gnome.
    These three times that I try, I reistalled everything before try another method.

With other codecs, the MP3 work. But only with the repos from installation, they not work.

I'll reinstall again, in another HD because now with VLC everything is right. Then I'll back here to post the results.

Really, thanks!

I not only add the repositories, I install codecs too. With one of these "One Click Install" from here: https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...allation-Guide and http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php and here http://opensuse-community.org/ chosing Gnome.
    These three times that I try, I reistalled everything before try another method.
    The second one is mainly intended for KDE, it won't install any gstreamer codecs (only codecs for gstreamer-0_10), so won't help with totem or rhythmbox.
    The other two should work though.

With other codecs, the MP3 work. But only with the repos from installation, they not work.
    They should, if "gstreamer-fluendo-mp3" is installed.

I'll reinstall again, in another HD because now with VLC everything is right. Then I'll back here to post the results.

Really, thanks!
    For VLC you mainly need "vlc-codecs" from Packman.
    And you don't have to re-install. Just enter YaST->Software Management to install/remove packages.

One thing to note though.
    Never add both the VLC repo (videolan.org) and the Packman repo to your system! Those are not compatible, if you have both that will break your multimedia stuff.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Mar-2014 at 14:59.

The second one is mainly intended for KDE
    Ah, the second one. I thought it was strange, it install K3B codecs, and some Qt libs. It should be more explicit, that is the first page that appers when search for "OpenSUSE 13.1 multimedia".

They should, if "gstreamer-fluendo-mp3" is installed.
    Don't work, by the way I'll try again and post the results. This thing about fluendo, I think that the one you said me was not installed.

And you don't have to re-install. Just enter YaST->Software Management to install/remove packages.
    I'll reinstall everything just to have sure that nothing that I did is in the way. This time I really want to make OpenSUSE work with everything that a "normal" user will use.

Never add both the VLC repo (videolan.org) and the Packman repo to your system! Those are not compatible, if you have both that will break your multimedia stuff.
    Yes, I read about that.

I'll back in some minutes. Thanks again.

Ah, the second one. I thought it was strange, it install K3B codecs, and some Qt libs. It should be more explicit, that is the first page that appers when search for "OpenSUSE 13.1 multimedia".
    You're right. They should maybe add a GNOME section there as well, since it's the "Unofficial Guide to openSUSE", not KDE..
    But the very first sentence does say:
    This chapter describes three different methods for installing the packages needed to playback most multimedia formats - including MP3, DVDs etc., with Kaffeine (video) and Amarok (audio).
    Kaffeine and Amarok are the default applications for video and audio on KDE btw.

Code:
    Don't work, by the way I'll try again and post the results. This thing about fluendo, I think that the one you said me was not installed.
    Maybe you only had "pullin-fluendo-mp3"? That's just a place-holder package included in the standard repo.
    It _should_ pull in the actual "gstreamer-plugins-fluendo" (from the non-oss repo) whenever you first enter YaST->Software Management though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Mar-2014 at 15:34.

Unhappy Fluendo was not installed

Ok, now I saw... gstreamer-fluendo-mp3 was not installed. I installed and I can play MP3 The great question here... is why? Because it's not a Free/Oss Software? In KDE they install by default, but I can only play with Amarok, not Kaffeine.

Kaffeine and Amarok are the default applications for video and audio on KDE btw
    Oh my, I know but I really don't saw that... my bad. But this need a very big title saying that is for KDE. Will help people like me!

Ok, I opened Software Manager -> Configuration -> Repositories -> Add -> Community Repositories and checked Packman and libdvdcss. Undo all automatic sugested packages and install gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon, gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon, gstreamer-plugins-libav and libdvdcss2.

After that Totem won't start, and displayed this message: "Some necessary plug-ins are missing. Make sure that the program is correctly installed." I installed gstreamer-plugins-good-extra and them Totem back to start. I noticed that when I installed this package, a lot of other packages was replaced from Packman version, this is normal?

Rythmbox and Totem still playing MP3. But not MP4/DVD. I can hear the sound from MP4 files. This time I did a manual installation instead "One-click Install". The result was the same, is this some bug with OpenSUSE and XFCE?

Are some plugins missing? Or I have duplicated packages?
    Last edited by l2mago; 15-Mar-2014 at 16:46. Reason: Added line breaks

Default Re: Fluendo was not installed

Ok, now I saw... gstreamer-fluendo-mp3 was not installed. I installed and I can play MP3 The great question here... is why? Because it's not a Free/Oss Software?
    Yes. But again, it should be selected for installation automatically, whenever you first enter YaST->Software Management and install/remove some software.

In KDE they install by default, but I can only play with Amarok, not Kaffeine.
    You didn't do any 1-click installs now, right?
    Kaffeine uses libxine2, so you need to install libxine2-codecs for that to play all files.

I installed gstreamer-plugins-good-extra and them Totem back to start. I noticed that when I installed this package, a lot of other packages was replaced from Packman version, this is normal?
    Yes. And in fact necessary.

Rythmbox and Totem still playing MP3. But not MP4/DVD. I can hear the sound from MP4 files. This time I did a manual installation instead "One-click Install". The result was the same, is this some bug with OpenSUSE and XFCE?
    No, that's surely no bug in openSUSE and XFCE.

Are some plugins missing?
    There shouldn't be when you installed those packages.

Or I have duplicated packages?
    No, that's not possible.

Well, you say they do work fine in VLC, right?

Try to do a full repository Vendor change update to Packman like described here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_ch..._Vendor_change
    Maybe not all necessary packages have been switched to their Packman counterparts.

And try to delete gstreamer's plugin cache:
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0
    (or do it with a file manager)
    This has helped people that couldn't get MP4 to play although the codecs were installed.

I don't use totem myself, but it should work. (at least it played MP4 when I last tried it... )
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Mar-2014 at 17:03.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast