Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

  1. #1

    Default Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    OpenSuSE 12.3, and Yast Network Services, Mail Server is adjusting files in /etc/mail, /usr/share/sendmail (as shown by ls -l and see the date). However, /etc/sendmail.cf is not being updated. [The file in place is one I copied from an OpenSuSE 11.1 machine I need to upgrade. Remove it and Yast fails to restart sendmail, does not put a file in its place.]

    /etc/sysconfig/mail has MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG="yes"

    /usr/share/sendmail/README refers to config.mc and './Build config.cf' - but these are not on the machine (i.e #find / -name [config.mc | Build | config.cf] gives a null return in each case). So I am lost at the README stage!

    I have two questions :
    1) What is the top of the tree that would allow me to do m4 /somewhere/filename.mc > test.cf manually?
    2) Have I missed installing something and causing Yast to fail?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    Run "config.postfix" to create the config.

    YaST ran this automatically in earlier versions as part of SuSEconfig, but that got removed.
    See also the release notes:
    https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x8...47462148837120

    If you change the config in YaST->Network Services->EMail, it should be run by YaST though.

    And no idea about /etc/sendmail.conf. Is that even used by postfix's sendmail? I don't have that file on my system.
    Or are you using the package "sendmail"? I don't think you can configure that with YaST. YaST only seems to support postfix.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Run "config.postfix" to create the config.

    YaST ran this automatically in earlier versions as part of SuSEconfig, but that got removed.
    See also the release notes:
    https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x8...47462148837120

    If you change the config in YaST->Network Services->EMail, it should be run by YaST though.

    And no idea about /etc/sendmail.conf. Is that even used by postfix's sendmail? I don't have that file on my system.
    Or are you using the package "sendmail"? I don't think you can configure that with YaST. YaST only seems to support postfix.
    Hi! Thanks for the reply.
    I am running the sendmail package that was included in OpenSuSE. I suspect you may be correct about only supporting postfix in Yast. Why include it but not provide full support?

    config.postfix is not on my system ......... presumably removed by Yast when I opted for sendmail instead of postfix. Previous versions (11.1 was the last I used) did configure sendmail with Yast.

    The release notes make no mention of sendmail - again suggesting it is not supported?

    Sendmail is my comfort zone for delivery testing, etc - including some local rulesets I need - and where I have all my books and notes. My critical issue is I am trying to recover from a lightning strike that fried the motherboard on the server on my LAN. Perhaps I need to do a rebuild on SuSE 11.1 for 'production' then move to postfix in a test environment before going 'live'.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    Quote Originally Posted by Yerffoeg View Post
    config.postfix is not on my system ......... presumably removed by Yast when I opted for sendmail instead of postfix.
    Of course. config.postfix is part of the "postfix" package.

    But the "sendmail" package contains /usr/sbin/config.sendmail, maybe try to run this instead?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,746

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    11.1 is way out of support. ie no updates or fixes for several years.

    Not many use sendmail any more so it is a matter of priorities and resources. But sendmail can be fully supported from the command line. If you would like to volunteer to support a Yast module to configure sendmail I'm sure the developers would be happy to include it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Not many use sendmail any more so it is a matter of priorities and resources. But sendmail can be fully supported from the command line. If you would like to volunteer to support a Yast module to configure sendmail I'm sure the developers would be happy to include it.
    I haven't really looked at it in detail, but config.sendmail does seem to read the same /etc/sysconfig/ variables as config.postfix.
    So the existing module might work even with sendmail. But again, you have to run config.sendmail manually to create the configuration, just like you have to run config.postfix for creating postfix's configuration..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    On 2014-03-15 18:36, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > 11.1 is way out of support. ie no updates or fixes for several years.
    >
    > Not many use sendmail any more so it is a matter of priorities and
    > resources. But sendmail can be fully supported from the command line. If
    > you would like to volunteer to support a Yast module to configure
    > sendmail I'm sure the developers would be happy to include it.


    No, no, there is something wrong here.

    YaST has always configured sendmail out of the box, for decades. Later
    postfix was added, but sendmail was not removed. You could choose
    anyone, just that postfix was the default and recommended. But of
    course, people that already had a sendmail setup, or were just familiar
    with it, did not need to migrate.

    There has been no official notification in the releases notes, as far as
    I remember, about YaST stopping to support the automatic configuration
    of sendmail. If this has stopped working, or has been removed, I would
    report it immediately in Bugzilla, and let the maintainers say what they
    have to say, officially.

    The fact that the functionality in SuSEconfig has been moved to
    config.sendmail hints that this is a Bug, or some configuration problem
    local to the OP.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-03-15 18:36, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > 11.1 is way out of support. ie no updates or fixes for several years.
    >
    > Not many use sendmail any more so it is a matter of priorities and
    > resources. But sendmail can be fully supported from the command line. If
    > you would like to volunteer to support a Yast module to configure
    > sendmail I'm sure the developers would be happy to include it.


    No, no, there is something wrong here.

    YaST has always configured sendmail out of the box, for decades. Later
    postfix was added, but sendmail was not removed. You could choose
    anyone, just that postfix was the default and recommended. But of
    course, people that already had a sendmail setup, or were just familiar
    with it, did not need to migrate.

    There has been no official notification in the releases notes, as far as
    I remember, about YaST stopping to support the automatic configuration
    of sendmail. If this has stopped working, or has been removed, I would
    report it immediately in Bugzilla, and let the maintainers say what they
    have to say, officially.
    I just had a look at the 13.1 YaST module (/usr/share/YaST2/modules/Mail.rb), and sendmail apparently _is_ still supported.
    At least it distinguishes between sendmail and postfix in several places and writes /etc/sysconfig/sendmail.

    I have no idea whether that works though. (I don't even have sendmail installed)

    While it does run config.postfix, I cannot find any reference to config.sendmail anywhere in /usr/share/YaST2/.
    So maybe that has been forgotten to add when SuSEconfig was removed?

    The fact that the functionality in SuSEconfig has been moved to
    config.sendmail hints that this is a Bug
    SuSEconfig was removed intentionally, its functionality was moved to scripts like config.postfix and config.sendmail where necessary.
    I don't see a bug here (or do I misunderstand you?).

    Of course, if the YaST module does not call config.sendmail (which indeed it doesn't, unless I missed something) although it's needed, that would be a bug (IMHO) that should be reported.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    On 2014-03-15 20:46, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2630674 Wrote:



    > While it does run config.postfix, I cannot find any reference to
    > config.sendmail anywhere in /usr/share/YaST2/.
    > So maybe that has been forgotten to add when SuSEconfig was removed?
    >
    >> The fact that the functionality in SuSEconfig has been moved to
    >> config.sendmail hints that this is a Bug

    > SuSEconfig was removed intentionally, its functionality was moved to
    > scripts like config.postfix and config.sendmail where necessary.
    > I don't see a bug here (or do I misunderstand you?).


    I mean that if the intention was to not support automatic configuration
    of sendmail, when SuSEconfig was removed from the distribution, they
    would not have created config.sendmail at all.

    Thus, as they created config.sendmail (with the old functionality of
    SuSEconfig sendmail module), it was their intention to keep supporting
    sendmail.

    Thus, YaST failing to create a complete configuration for sendmail is a Bug.

    Is that clearer? :-)

    > Of course, if the YaST module does not call config.sendmail (which
    > indeed it doesn't, unless I missed something) although it's needed, that
    > would be a bug (IMHO) that should be reported.


    That's right.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  10. #10

    Default Re: Yast : not building sendmail.cf

    Thanks for all the comment and input.

    Seems to me that Yast does not fully support sendmail - unintentionally?

    I found the 'top of the tree' to build the sendmail.cf file. Just run /usr/lib/sendmail.d/update and it picks up all the variables input via Yast, restart sendmail and it does what I expect it to do.

    A bit messy, but works for me.

    I can now focus on getting back operationally, then learn postfix on a test machine and play 'catchup' with the rest of the world!

    Thanks again to the community.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •