Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Multiboot with UEFI

  1. #1

    Question Multiboot with UEFI

    How to create a multiboot system with UEFI, from scratch? I have got a GPT capable hdd and UEFI boot enabled in BIOS? Which are the steps I must take for best results? I wnat to install Ubuntu, Linux Mint and openSUSE. Thank youvery much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,671
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by 2477426 View Post
    How to create a multiboot system with UEFI, from scratch? I have got a GPT capable hdd and UEFI boot enabled in BIOS? Which are the steps I must take for best results? I wnat to install Ubuntu, Linux Mint and openSUSE. Thank youvery much!
    You will need an EFI partition -- sometimes call SEP (System EFI Partition). This needs to be FAT, and is recommended to be FAT32. I'm using 500M for my EFI partition. If you have a large disk (500G or larger), that seems a reasonable size.

    Apart from that, you just install. And, with a bit of luck, everything will work.

    The installer should already recognize that you have a UEFI system. You do need to boot the install media into UEFI mode. How to do that, depends on the BIOS. On my system, I hit F12 during boot, and it lists what is bootable. If I have "secure-boot" enabled, then it only lists UEFI boot possibilities. If I have "secure-boot" disabled, it lists UEFI boot, and below that it lists MBR boots (might be called "legacy boot"). Your BIOS might be different.

    After you have installed, you can see what works. Unfortunately, there is some variation in UEFI support. Some systems work pretty well, while others seem to be designed to boot Windows.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,096

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    sometimes call SEP (System EFI Partition).
    Hmm ... I have never seen such abbreviation. Usually it is called ESP (EFI System Partition).

  4. #4

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    sometimes call SEP (System EFI Partition).
    Hmm ... I have never seen such abbreviation. Usually it is called ESP (EFI System Partition).
    Probably ESP is right.

    But do google ESP and look what answers you get.

    In soil mechanics, for instance, the ESP is the 'effective stress path'.
    Should I explain that in detail here?
    I would do !!

    Hey you two, both of you are pretty good!

    Just don't start a quarrel of that silly kind.

    There's enough work around here.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You do need to boot the install media into UEFI mode.
    I think that was important.

    Especially as the OP doesn't seem to have been that specific.

    Best wishes
    Mike

  5. #5
    tb NNTP User

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    On 3/9/2014 at 8:56:03 AM nrickert wrote:

    > You will need an EFI partition -- sometimes call SEP (System EFI
    > Partition). This needs to be FAT, and is recommended to be FAT32.
    > I'm using 500M for my EFI partition. If you have a large disk (500G
    > or larger), that seems a reasonable size.
    >
    > Apart from that, you just install. And, with a bit of luck,
    > everything will work.
    >
    > The installer should already recognize that you have a UEFI system.
    > You do need to boot the install media into UEFI mode. How to do that,
    > depends on the BIOS. On my system, I hit F12 during boot, and it
    > lists what is bootable. If I have "secure-boot" enabled, then it
    > only lists UEFI boot possibilities. If I have "secure-boot"
    > disabled, it lists UEFI boot, and below that it lists MBR boots
    > (might be called "legacy boot"). Your BIOS might be different.
    >
    > After you have installed, you can see what works. Unfortunately,
    > there is some variation in UEFI support. Some systems work pretty
    > well, while others seem to be designed to boot Windows.


    What motherboard make and model do you have?

    --
    tb

  6. #6

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by tb View Post
    On 3/9/2014 at 8:56:03 AM nrickert wrote:

    > You will need an EFI partition -- sometimes call SEP (System EFI
    > Partition). This needs to be FAT, and is recommended to be FAT32.
    > I'm using 500M for my EFI partition. If you have a large disk (500G
    > or larger), that seems a reasonable size.
    >
    > Apart from that, you just install. And, with a bit of luck,
    > everything will work.
    >
    > The installer should already recognize that you have a UEFI system.
    > You do need to boot the install media into UEFI mode. How to do that,
    > depends on the BIOS. On my system, I hit F12 during boot, and it
    > lists what is bootable. If I have "secure-boot" enabled, then it
    > only lists UEFI boot possibilities. If I have "secure-boot"
    > disabled, it lists UEFI boot, and below that it lists MBR boots
    > (might be called "legacy boot"). Your BIOS might be different.
    >
    > After you have installed, you can see what works. Unfortunately,
    > there is some variation in UEFI support. Some systems work pretty
    > well, while others seem to be designed to boot Windows.


    What motherboard make and model do you have?

    --
    tb
    Who are you asking?

    That's not clear to me.

  7. #7
    tb NNTP User

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    On 3/9/2014 at 7:06:01 PM ratzi wrote:

    >
    > tb;2629634 Wrote:
    > > On 3/9/2014 at 8:56:03 AM nrickert wrote:
    > >
    > > > You will need an EFI partition -- sometimes call SEP (System EFI
    > > > Partition). This needs to be FAT, and is recommended to be FAT32.
    > > > I'm using 500M for my EFI partition. If you have a large disk
    > > > (500G or larger), that seems a reasonable size.
    > > >
    > > > Apart from that, you just install. And, with a bit of luck,
    > > > everything will work.
    > > >
    > > > The installer should already recognize that you have a UEFI
    > > > system. You do need to boot the install media into UEFI mode.
    > > > How to do that, depends on the BIOS. On my system, I hit F12
    > > > during boot, and it lists what is bootable. If I have
    > > > "secure-boot" enabled, then it only lists UEFI boot
    > > > possibilities. If I have "secure-boot" disabled, it lists UEFI
    > > > boot, and below that it lists MBR boots (might be called "legacy
    > > > boot"). Your BIOS might be different.
    > > >
    > > > After you have installed, you can see what works. Unfortunately,
    > > > there is some variation in UEFI support. Some systems work pretty
    > > > well, while others seem to be designed to boot Windows.

    > >
    > > What motherboard make and model do you have?
    > >
    > > --
    > > tb

    >
    > Who are you asking?
    >
    > That's not clear to me.


    The question was addressed to "nrickert".

    --
    tb

  8. #8

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by tb View Post
    On 3/9/2014 at 7:06:01 PM ratzi wrote:

    >
    > tb;2629634 Wrote:
    > > On 3/9/2014 at 8:56:03 AM nrickert wrote:
    > >
    > > > You will need an EFI partition -- sometimes call SEP (System EFI
    > > > Partition). This needs to be FAT, and is recommended to be FAT32.
    > > > I'm using 500M for my EFI partition. If you have a large disk
    > > > (500G or larger), that seems a reasonable size.
    > > >
    > > > Apart from that, you just install. And, with a bit of luck,
    > > > everything will work.
    > > >
    > > > The installer should already recognize that you have a UEFI
    > > > system. You do need to boot the install media into UEFI mode.
    > > > How to do that, depends on the BIOS. On my system, I hit F12
    > > > during boot, and it lists what is bootable. If I have
    > > > "secure-boot" enabled, then it only lists UEFI boot
    > > > possibilities. If I have "secure-boot" disabled, it lists UEFI
    > > > boot, and below that it lists MBR boots (might be called "legacy
    > > > boot"). Your BIOS might be different.
    > > >
    > > > After you have installed, you can see what works. Unfortunately,
    > > > there is some variation in UEFI support. Some systems work pretty
    > > > well, while others seem to be designed to boot Windows.

    > >
    > > What motherboard make and model do you have?
    > >
    > > --
    > > tb

    >
    > Who are you asking?
    >
    > That's not clear to me.


    The question was addressed to "nrickert".

    --
    tb
    Thought of that.

    You're aware of the fact that nrickert isn't the OP, i.e. that nrickert didn't start this thread,
    and that nrickert doesn't have any question?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,671
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    Quote Originally Posted by tb View Post
    What motherboard make and model do you have?
    I'm running a Dell Inspiron 660. The UEFI support is not perfect, but the problems can easily be worked around.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  10. #10
    tb NNTP User

    Default Re: Multiboot with UEFI

    On 3/10/2014 at 4:26:01 PM nrickert wrote:

    >
    > tb;2629634 Wrote:
    > > What motherboard make and model do you have?

    >
    > I'm running a Dell Inspiron 660. The UEFI support is not perfect, but
    > the problems can easily be worked around.


    Great, thanks!

    --
    tb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •