Trying to fix screen tearing

Hi, I am trying to do this:

instead add a snippet into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf (your distro should rather add that file anyway) containing:

Section "Device"         
Identifier "Default nvidia Device"         
Driver "nvidia"         
Option "NoLogo" "True"         
Option "CoolBits" "1"         
Option "TripleBuffer" "True" 
EndSection   

CoolBits allows overclocking (on some devices) an NoLogo removes the startup advertisement :wink: If you have such file and it has some other entries do not remove those, just add TripleBuffer to the “Device” section

I have no idea what coolbits is or if it’s relevent to me. I don’t have a “20-nvidia.conf”, should I create it and add the above text to it?

Then someone says:

if I’m not mistaken, enabling both triple buffering in the NVIDIA driver and __GL_YIELD=“USLEEP” in /etc/profile is ideal. That way games can use Triple Buffering and kwin can use its lower-cpu sync method.

I added ‘__GL_YIELD=“USLEEP”’ to /etc/profile. But I can’t find the triple buffering option in the nvidia control panel. Is it “Sync to VBlank”?

Option “TripleBuffer” “True” is normally set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf

If you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file do the change there since that file will take president

On 03/08/2014 02:06 PM, gogalthorp pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> If you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file do the change there since that
> file will take president
>
>
"precedent’ :slight_smile: