What is pixel.cgi?

Lately I’ve been getting pop-ups in Seamonkey asking if I want to allow pixel.cgi to load or run or something. I don’t know what it is, so I always click Canel. Often times I get that multiple times. Is it safe to allow?

You posted this in Community & Fun > General Chit-Chat. Generaly I find here all sorts of small talk (and often a lot of nonsense ;)). But yours seems to be e serious ask for help. If that is the case, please post here to which help (sub)forum you want this to be moved. Choose allways a (sub)forume where the chance that people knowlingy the subject might find it. That is in your interest (I guess).

And please do not make a new post about this subject in another (sub)forum. We hate double posting. Ask for a move.

Sorry about that, I wasn’t sure where to post it. I guess “Applications” might be the place, since it happens on SeaMonkey. If that’s not the best place to move it to, feel free to choose. Thanks!

Will bemoved to Applications and is CLOSED forthe moment.

Moved from Genral-ChitChat and open again.

I finally found some information, it looks like it may be safe, just not sure… here’s the link I found:

http://www.perlmonks.org/bare/?node_id=105985

the question WAS put in the wrong category. Nice of you to point that out. Not nice to be so condescending about it! Why not refer it to someone who can give a useful answer to a legitimate question. I have the same question. What to do with this troublesome file? I saved it and found it in my downloads folder with a length of 0.

Sorry, but I do not run Seamonkey (nor did your description trigger some ‘aha’ in me), thus I feel not fit to answer your technical question as a fellow member.

But, as a mod, I found your thread in the wrong place. I then moved it to, what I think is, a better place to get attention from people that look into a specific (sub)forum to give help if they feel fit. I also added some comment to make you and others aware of the movement of this thread and in the hope that next time you will choose a better place for posting.

The main goal of the movement is to give your thread a better chance to be seen by the audience that matters.

As it turns out now, even in the Applications forum nobody seems to volunteer with an answer/suggestions or whatever. That is a pity, but barely my fault. I have no list of people running Seamonkey or any other mechanism to recrute/press people to help you.

Only thing I can advise you is to make a bettter description then

… asking if I want to allow pixel.cgi to load or run or something…

Nobody here can guess what you see. Any message you get and want communicated to us should be copied litteraly (either by copy/past ot by carefull typing).

On 2014-03-18 16:16, stitzenheimer wrote:

> the question WAS put in the wrong category. Nice of you to point that
> out. Not nice to be so condescending about it! Why not refer it to
> someone who can give a useful answer to a legitimate question.

How would you do that?

This is not a support place where SUSE employees answer questions, and
thus the admins know who is the proper person to answer each question.
Instead, this is a place where users help other users, as best as we
can, in our free time mostly.

So moving the post to the appropriate category is the best thing the
admins can do so that people that have knowledge it that area, which
read that category, can notice it and answer.

If none answers, is because none knows how to answer your questions, or
if they do, none has see it yet.

> I have
> the same question. What to do with this troublesome file? I saved it
> and found it in my downloads folder with a length of 0.

Your question was:

On 2014-03-08 02:26, HighBloodSugar wrote:

> Lately I’ve been getting pop-ups in Seamonkey asking if I want to allow
> pixel.cgi to load or run or something. I don’t know what it is, so I
> always click Canel. Often times I get that multiple times. Is it safe to
> allow?

I don’t have a direct answer. I can guess. I suppose that the file comes
from one of the pages you open. On each of the tabs, select view/Page
Info. Scan each of the tabs, to find out if there is a reference to that
“pixel.cgi” somewhere. You can also try “view source” and scan the text
for that string.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

It’s been a while, but still no idea what pixel.cgi is, other than maybe some sort of tracking. I really don’t know. Now my only question is how to get it to stop bothering me. I tried setting Seamonkey to just save the thing, but now it asks me if I want to overwrite the previous copy. Multiple times, usually at least 3 or 4 times. Does anyone know if the “CGI” selection in helper applications can just be deleted? I see no way to do that. At this point I don’t care what this does, I just don’t want to see the thing anymore! I’d rather stick with Seamonkey, but if this keeps up I may be forced to switch to Firefox (assuming this doesn’t happen on that, haven’t tried it yet). Out of curiosity, I opened it in Kate, but it’s empty. No idea how that’s of any use to anyone, unless it’s some sor of tracking thing… it don’t think it’s a binary, Kate didn’t complain about that.

I didn’t think it was condescending. I understand the frustration of having to tell so many people that they posted in the wrong place. I made the same mistake this time.

I missed this part of your reply, so I’ll try this next time it pops up.

Last time I suggested that you post the exact message you get and not

… asking if I want to allow pixel.cgi to load or run or something. …

We are still waiting for it (12 days).

Based on your rather vague description (but please remember that according to the principle of “garbage in: garbage out” my answer is likewise vague), there is a link where you click on and that leads to the server serving the file pixel.cgi. Apparently this goes with a HTTP contents type descipition that leads your browser into asking you what to do with the file: download it, or give it to an application program to be defined by you. Same things happen e.g. if you click on a link to a spreadsheet file, you then either download it or let it be opened with LibreOffice.

Now you apparently downloaded it at least once. And when you download it now again to the same directory (probably the Download folder of your desktop) it warns you that there is already a file with the same name. What to do: overwrite or not. All very normal and day to day bussiness.

As Carlos already suggested it comes from one of the pages you use. So asking what it is, is best done from the web-master of that site.

The name of the file ending in the suffix .cgi, suggests however that in fact it should be a script to be executed on the server by the server program (server side scripting). The server however does not honour this (configuration error?) and thus sends it to the browser instead of executing it and sending the results to the browser.

Your statement that the downloaded pixel.cgi file is empty further points to the fact that there is somethingf utterly wrong on that web-site.

Here you go - I got 14 of these things this time

http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/164382-1.jpg

Clear enough. It is from securepath.com whatever that may be.

Firefox or amy other browser would do similar.

I think my analisys in my post above holds true.

I do not know why you surf to that site. I do not know if you in fact surf to another site and that site then has the reference to this one. In any case, the page you are looking at at the moment you receive this is the web-page to start with to investigate.

Must be some web-site you often visit, else you wouldn’t get this so often.
What I do not understand is that you did not see the connection between visiting that web page and getting those download windows.

It happens when I go to www.foxnews.com. I don’t even have to click a link, it just pops up multiple times. But it doesn’t always happen. It might just be a problem with that web site. It might have happened on other web sites, I don’t recall, but I’ll try to remember to make note of it if it does appear elsewhere. If it’s only that one web site, I can just avoid it… it’s mostly political opinions anyway, nothing I really need to look at.

On 2014-03-30 21:36, hcvv wrote:
>
> Clear enough. It is from securepath.com whatever that may be.

The site is on sale. Or rather the domain name. It is hosted on
GoDaddy.com”, or perhaps “ak2.imgaft.com”.

I can not locate a cgi reference on it.

> Must be some web-site you often visit, else you wouldn’t get this so
> often.

Yep.

It could be a page linking to somewhere under securepath.com. As it is a
squatter or whatever that is called, it is not really maintained, and
the cgi could be anywhere.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2014-03-30 20:06, HighBloodSugar wrote:

> robin_listas;2631206 Wrote:
>>
>> I don’t have a direct answer. I can guess. I suppose that the file comes
>> from one of the pages you open. On each of the tabs, select view/Page
>> Info. Scan each of the tabs, to find out if there is a reference to that
>> “pixel.cgi” somewhere. You can also try “view source” and scan the text
>> for that string.
>>
>
> I missed this part of your reply, so I’ll try this next time it pops up.

Scan for “securepath.com” too.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I tried tthat Foxnews site. It is lousy :wink:

Scripts from all over the world (I have NoScript on, thus I can see them easily) and lots of cookies from third parties. >:)

But apart from that, I do not get that pixel.cgi file until now. Sorry.

I went to www.securepath.com and checked out the page info. I’m not sure what to look for, but in the “Media” tab, there was a checkbox called “Block images from securepath.com”. Do you think I should check that? I also saw an image listed, with an extremely long file name, with this info about it:

Type: GIF image
Cache Source: Disk Cache
Size 0.04KB (43 bytes)
Specified Dimensions 1px x 1px

I recall reading about 1x1 pixel images, something about tracking, I can’t remember where or when I saw that, though, so this is just a guess. I’m still waiting for the pop-ups on foxnews.com, it doesn’t always happen.

On 2014-03-30 21:56, HighBloodSugar wrote:

> It happens when I go to ‘www.foxnews.com’ (http://www.foxnews.com). I
> don’t even have to click a link, it just pops up multiple times.

I opened the page just now, and it did not. I searched the content and
did not find any reference to the word “pixel”, or the site “securepath”.

It could be a broken banner. And the commercials we get may depend on
the location of the client, so I may see different content than you do.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.