Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Menu gone after update

Default Start Menu gone after update

Maybe I should of left well enough alone, but in my quest to update my system there's a problem. Last time I was messing with the 13.1 portion with updates, I shut the system down and it just kind of hanged. I pressing Ctrl-Alt+Fx keys to see if I could get a prompt where I could type shutdown, but either it didn't work or I couldn't get one. Now when I boot back to 13.1, the Start menu panel at the bottom was gone. An interesting thing was my QInternet for the modem was in a little square box at the top. It's almost like the panel is somewhere, just not on this screen and so the QInternet decided to be helpful and make an appearance.

I tried to Add Panel > Default Panel and it added one with the start button a Red X. I removed the panel and added it again, and it made it work halfway good enough. It shows my previous tasks along the bottom, but when I click on any, it just ignores me. Like it's on a different screen.

I found someone else had a similar problem, but when I tried to follow the suggestions, it wouldn't work. If I go to Configure Desktop, it says "System Settings was unable to find any views, and hence has nothing to display." Pressing Alt+F2 and entering "systemsettings" or "Configure Desktop" does nothing. I had used kfind on Alt+F2 before, but it doesn't work either.

I did Ctrl+Esc to show system activity, selected Kate which I had running before to show application window, but it ignores me too. Did I mess something up with the updates or by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+ Function keys? If updates, maybe I should remove them one at a time until things work right? Seems like there was something I had installed about the KDE system. How do I remove them and get what was before? I was running some updates, but when I noticed it wasn't downloading a delta but the whole multi-megabyte file, I aborted the update. I don't think that causes a problem.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Start Menu gone after update

If you create a new user and login there
    How is it?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I created a test user, and attempt to switch user. It brought up the Alt+F2 run window. So I logged out and in as the test user.

The same thing as when I logged in as Root. A blank screen except for the default folder view square (KInfo, etc). I notice when I right-click on the empty space of the screen, at the bottom it has "Unknown settings" instead of "Default Desktop Settings". Seems like somethings wrong with the basic system rather than a user profile.

I logged out of the new test user and back into main user. My QInternet icon was gone from the screen and from the system tray. I went through the menu and noticed it's icon was missing from it's entry. When clicking on it, it never loads so I had to log in using my 12.3 system to post this.

Blog Entries

You might want to start again with 13.1
    Making sure the install media is good and you format the target partitions
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

In the original post it sounded like you may have shut the system down in the middle of n update. Never do that.

Also never log into the GUI as root you can cause serious damage totally by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You might want to start again with 13.1
    Making sure the install media is good and you format the target partitions
    If you do not mind spending the extra time, you might first just choose the "Upgrade" option on the 13.1 install DVD and let it run. Sometimes I find that will fix a problem such as yours, caused by an interrupted update. You will, of course, have to run most updates over again if the Upgrade option fixes the system, since a lot of it is set back to what is on the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp
    In the original post it sounded like you may have shut the system down in the middle of an update. Never do that.

Also never log into the GUI as root you can cause serious damage totally by accident.

= Important advice.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    In the original post it sounded like you may have shut the system down in the middle of n update. Never do that.
    I didn't mean to convey that idea. It was after the chosen updates were completed and then when I went to shut down the system. And even the last time when I went to shut down the system, it seemed to hang. I went off and left it alone for awhile and when I came back, it was off. I'm just wondering if by choosing some updates and not others, could the system be unstable or is each update completely independent from any others?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I was about to ask, what if I'm really careful. But you did say, "by accident". I used to log in as root from time to time when I first started with Linux. Lately, I never did except to check this start menu. Maybe there's no real need to.

So am I really out of luck? Something is really messed up I have to start over? Any idea what could cause it to go wrong? That is, if I do the same updates, will this happen again? I've half a notion of doing NO updates. Any way to roll the system back, something like restore points?

I have had any need ever, but did when I first started and didn't know any better I did and did mess up things. One thing that happens is that when in a root owned GUI you can change ownership of files in a users directory with out trying this make the users GUI interface broken until the ownership is straightened out.

Well something is seriously broken if you, without making the needed change, can use startx as a user. The ownerships are not set correctly at least for a default installation. Figuring out what is broken can be a time consuming project. Up to you but If you don't have the time or inclination to trouble shoot it reinstalling is the thing to do. As always it is your choice.

On 2014-03-09 16:46, dt30 wrote:
    > I'm just wondering if by choosing some updates and not others, could the
    > system be unstable or is each update completely independent from any
    > others?

Sometimes. Depends.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Well, I took the advise and instead of keep fiddling with it and wasting time, I gave up and decided to start over. I tried the upgrade option first. It might have worked, but I got confused when the qinternet didn't work. Later, I realized I had to set up the modem. But it threw me off when I tried running it and in the top left corner of the desktop it gave me a balloon message about having errors. It was like it was off the screen. And, when I logged in as the test user, there was still no start menu bar.

So, I did a fresh install with formatting the partition. Of course that brought back the start menu. But setting my system back up is a pain. I can see how doing an upgrade would be convenient. However, what would have happened if I did and messed it up. I would have had no working system. Too many times things have gone wrong that makes a fresh install more appealing to me. I also could imagine trailing trash from unused things accumulating over upgrades. Then there's the issue of forgetting how to install a new system. It's bad enough when I just did it a few months ago!

The first time, I believe mysql (or now maria) was installed fine. I might have forgotten a step, but there is no listing in run services for mysql. And now I'm a little shy about running anything as root, so don't know if the following is what I need to do as root or not. And with the changes to mysql and the system, I'm not really sure of what command I should run. I did the following:
    > /usr/sbin/rcmysql status
    cat: /etc/my.cnf: Permission denied
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/run/mysql': Permission denied
    chown: cannot access '/var/run/mysql': No such file or directory
    Checking for service MySQL: unused
    mysql.service - LSB: Start the MySQL database server
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mysql)
    Active: inactive (dead)
    There is no /var/run/mysql nor /var/lib/mysql directories either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast