Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: sshd_config

  1. #1

    Default sshd_config

    Hi,
    I have SSH root disabled on Open Suse 13.1
    I need to enable it but I can’t access the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Im trying to Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and add the following line:

    UseDNS no
    What can I do?
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,882
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: sshd_config

    Quote Originally Posted by gamergoat89 View Post
    Hi,
    I have SSH root disabled on Open Suse 13.1
    I need to enable it but I can’t access the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Im trying to Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and add the following line:

    UseDNS no
    What can I do?
    Thank you
    You only want to add one line?

    Choose an editor that you are comfortable with. Maybe use "sudo" to invoke it as root. You will be asked for the root password.

    For example, in a terminal window (konsole, Gnome Terminal, XFCE terminal), use:
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    assuming that you are comfortable with "vi" as an editor. If you are not familiar with using "vi", then better to choose something simpler. I've forgotten the name of the simple editor, so perhaps somebody else will comment. Or use
    Code:
    kdesu kwrite
    to start the kwrite editor (from KDE).

    Added: The simple text edit is "nano", so you could use
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: sshd_config

    gamergoat89 wrote:

    > I have SSH root disabled on Open Suse 13.1
    > I need to enable it but I can’t access the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    > Im trying to Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and add the following line:
    >


    Don't forget to open the appropriate port in the firewall - the default will
    have the incoming port blocked by default unless you elected to open it
    during installation.

    --
    Will Honea


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: sshd_config

    On 2014-03-03 01:56, gamergoat89 wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    > I have SSH root disabled on Open Suse 13.1
    > I need to enable it but I can’t access the /etc/ssh/sshd_config


    Why not?

    Is it a remote machine, so you don't have direct access to it?

    Do you have any ssh access to it?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  5. #5

    Default Re: sshd_config

    Forgot my root password
    anyone know How can I retrieve it on opensuse 13.1?

  6. #6

    Default Re: sshd_config

    Google:
    sitepensuse.org recover root password

    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Recover_root_password

    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below...

  7. #7

    Default Re: sshd_config

    ok I fixed my root password

  8. #8

    Default Re: sshd_config

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You only want to add one line?

    Choose an editor that you are comfortable with. Maybe use "sudo" to invoke it as root. You will be asked for the root password.

    For example, in a terminal window (konsole, Gnome Terminal, XFCE terminal), use:
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    assuming that you are comfortable with "vi" as an editor. If you are not familiar with using "vi", then better to choose something simpler. I've forgotten the name of the simple editor, so perhaps somebody else will comment. Or use
    Code:
    kdesu kwrite
    to start the kwrite editor (from KDE).

    Added: The simple text edit is "nano", so you could use
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    how do I edit the file?
    kdesu kwrite opened up a text writing file but nothing happend when I wrote #UseDNS no.
    and
    when i tried sudo nano /etc/ssh/ssh_config command not found.
    Last edited by gamergoat89; 03-Mar-2014 at 16:37.

  9. #9

    Default Re: sshd_config

    sudo vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config:E325: ATTENTION
    Found a swap file by the name "/etc/ssh/.sshd_config.swp"
    owned by: root dated: Mon Mar 3 18:41:27 2014
    file name: /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    modified: YES
    user name: root host name: linux-si7w
    process ID: 1620
    While opening file "/etc/ssh/sshd_config"
    dated: Fri Nov 8 14:20:23 2013

    (1) Another program may be editing the same file. If this is the case,
    be careful not to end up with two different instances of the same
    file when making changes. Quit, or continue with caution.
    (2) An edit session for this file crashed.
    If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/ssh/sshd_config"
    to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
    If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/ssh/.sshd_config.swp"
    to avoid this message.

    Swap file "/etc/ssh/.sshd_config.swp" already exists!
    [O]pen Read-Only, (E)dit anyway, (R)ecover, (D)elete it, (Q)uit, (A)bort:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,882
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: sshd_config

    Quote Originally Posted by gamergoat89 View Post
    kdesu kwrite opened up a text writing file but nothing happend when I wrote #UseDNS no.
    The "#" character at the start of that line indicates that it is a comment. You will have to remove that comment to get other than the default. And then you will need to restart the "sshd" service before the change has any effect. Rebooting is one way of restarting the service.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •