openSuSE 13.1 (libvirtd/libxl): NetworkManager applet refuses to work properly

Greetings!

Since I don’t know whether or not this is because the system in question resides in a domU, I’m going to post this here…

Originally the domU system had its network set up via ifup, but I decided to switch to NetworkManager since I need access to a VPN (ifup/ifdown seems to be too cumbersome to me for this purpose). After switching to NetworkManager the network connections are fired up as normal (otherwise XDMCP wouldn’t work in the first place and I couldn’t properly connect to the domU… xD), but when I add the systray applet for NetworkManager to the task bar it won’t show anything, but instead claims that NetworkManager weren’t running - but my XDMCP chooser tells me the opposite, plus I can also ssh to the VM from dom0.
Also doing a ps -ef | grep NetworkManager within the domU shows that NetworkManager is running just fine.

What bothers me is that the applet is unable to attach to NetworkManager.

My guess is that you may not have added the NM applet to the system tray properly.

Recommended:
Open NM using the command line (the GUI will open)
Click to modify Properties.
Check the box to display in the System Tray
Save your settings

The steps above are generally the same although may vary a bit from Desktop to Desktop.

HTH,
TSU

Well, at first I have manually added the applet via the taskbar, but when I noticed that the systray already contained an instance of said applet, albeit hidden, I pulled that one in (made it permanently visible). However, that one refused to work as well.
Then I switched from the plasmoid applet to plasma-nm. Although it actually discovers the required NetworkManager instance (v. 0.9.8) and attaches to it, it won’t display any connections.

I presume that this is some kind of misconfiguration, but right now I cannot tell what could have gone wrong and where.

Checking with nm-tool I get the following output:

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: eth1 -----------------------------------------------------------------
  Type:              Wired
  Driver:            vif
  State:             disconnected
  Default:           no
  HW Address:        00:31:EE:8E:10:F3

Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect:  yes

Wired Properties
    Carrier:         on

- Device: eth0  [Kabelgebundene Verbindung 1] ----------------------------------
  Type:              Wired
  Driver:            vif
  State:             connected
  Default:           yes
  HW Address:        00:16:3E:72:3D:A1

Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect:  yes

Wired Properties
    Carrier:         on

IPv4 Settings:
    Address:         192.168.127.128
    Prefix:          24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway:         192.168.127.1                                              

DNS:             192.168.127.1                                              

The two interfaces are paravirtualized network cards. However, since NetworkManager obviously is able to handle these, this leads me to wonder why the applet doesn’t get this right. :frowning: