Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

  1. #1

    Default openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    Greetings!

    For some reason Apache decided all the sudden to go haywire. Some time before it worked without problems, but now it completely refuses to serve any pages, including the error pages. The only difference to the default is that I told Apache to serve index.xhtml files in case only a directory is specified on the URL.

    Anyone have an idea why Apache would stop serving any pages without any obvious reason?

    Checking directly on the machine that is serving the pages yields the same error.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,187

    Default Re: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Robidu View Post
    Anyone have an idea why Apache would stop serving any pages without any obvious reason?
    Without seeing /var/log/apache2/error_log (or whatever log directive you use) it's pretty hard to say.How about you clean up the error log, restart Apache and look what the file says and maybe copy/paste us a few lines to help debug the issue.
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,742

    Default Re: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Robidu View Post
    Greetings!
    The only difference to the default is that I told Apache to serve index.xhtml files in case only a directory is specified on the URL.
    And did you check if all is OK again when you reverse that change?
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    First of all, here's the error log:

    Code:
    [Sun Mar 02 13:14:27.933933 2014] [ssl:warn] [pid 13270] AH01873: Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]
    [Sun Mar 02 13:14:27.936197 2014] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 13270] AH00163: Apache/2.4.6 (Linux/SUSE) OpenSSL/1.0.1e configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Sun Mar 02 13:14:27.936251 2014] [core:notice] [pid 13270] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf -D SYSTEMD -D FOREGROUND'
    [Sun Mar 02 13:16:00.180371 2014] [authz_core:error] [pid 13288] [client 192.168.127.128:49107] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /srv/www/htdocs/
    [Sun Mar 02 13:16:00.180496 2014] [authz_core:error] [pid 13288] [client 192.168.127.128:49107] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /usr/share/apache2/error/HTTP_FORBIDDEN.html.var
    [Sun Mar 02 13:16:00.525204 2014] [authz_core:error] [pid 13288] [client 192.168.127.128:49107] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /srv/www/htdocs/favicon.ico
    [Sun Mar 02 13:16:00.525269 2014] [authz_core:error] [pid 13288] [client 192.168.127.128:49107] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /usr/share/apache2/error/HTTP_FORBIDDEN.html.var
    [Sun Mar 02 13:16:00.565378 2014] [authz_core:error] [pid 13288] [client 192.168.127.128:49107] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /srv/www/htdocs/favicon.ico
    [Sun Mar 02 13:16:00.565414 2014] [authz_core:error] [pid 13288] [client 192.168.127.128:49107] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /usr/share/apache2/error/HTTP_FORBIDDEN.html.var
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And did you check if all is OK again when you reverse that change?
    The problem is that it worked before with this modification, but all the sudden it stopped working (I haven't made any subsequent changes).
    Could an update have messed this thing up? If yes, I would uninstall Apache, kill /etc/apache2 and reinstall to see if it resumes operation...

    Attempting to generate a virtual host in Apache that maps to the default hasn't helped, either.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,742

    Default Re: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Robidu View Post
    The problem is that it worked before with this modification, but all the sudden it stopped working (I haven't made any subsequent changes).
    Could an update have messed this thing up? If yes, I would uninstall Apache, kill /etc/apache2 and reinstall to see if it resumes operation...

    Attempting to generate a virtual host in Apache that maps to the default hasn't helped, either.
    My post was simply to try to get things clear and to do some basic fact finding actions

    When you say "the only difference ..." then it is logical to me that the first thing one does is reverting that and check if the problem vanishes. To prove that it is that "only thing" and that it is the cause..

    You answer does not clearly say if you did that test toreverse the "only difference" or not, but my impression is that you didn't. And I also get the impression that my post led you to do this obvious (IMHO) test.

    Another thing that I now read from your answer is that:
    1. the "only change" was made earlier and thus did definitely not cause the problem;
    2. you talk about an update, which is a complete new fact.


    This all makes fact finding and logicaly debugging a bit difficult.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    I know that, and my reply wasn't supposed to be a rant or something similar (sorry if it felt that way).

    However, to get things back to normal I just did it the hard way by uninstalling everything involving Apache and subsequently scratching /etc/apache2.
    After reinstalling things everything works the way it should - guess I'm going to take a backup of that directory so in case things start to go haywire again I have something that actually works (and also to do a diff to check what could have gone wrong in that event).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,742

    Default Re: openSuSE 13.1: Apache misbehaves

    Quote Originally Posted by Robidu View Post
    I know that, and my reply wasn't supposed to be a rant or something similar (sorry if it felt that way).
    II did not understand it as a rant. I only tried to let you post relevant facts, else helping is a bit difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robidu View Post
    However, to get things back to normal I just did it the hard way by uninstalling everything involving Apache and subsequently scratching /etc/apache2.
    After reinstalling things everything works the way it should - guess I'm going to take a backup of that directory so in case things start to go haywire again I have something that actually works (and also to do a diff to check what could have gone wrong in that event).
    Well, it seems resolved then. However nobody now knows what was the cause of the incident
    Henk van Velden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •