Best recovery practice - Any case and solutions

Hi I want to start this thread to learn before problems arise and discuss about different crash and system breakage cases.

I’m interested in SW Projects that address this cases and if you want you can also share your knowledge and experience. ( No Distributions please. )

Official OpenSUSE documentation links too. Thank you for your attention.

BD

Best Practice?

Most strategies are fundamentally based on the Rule of Three, every aspect of your DR strategy should have two other alternatives.

eg.
3 backup methods (each tested of course). One might be standard file based backup. Another might be imaging.
or
Maybe a very reliable backup method to three different locations (on site, remote site you own, the cloud)
or
Make backups locally, but move the copies off-site regularly to two other locations.

You can apply this Rule of Three to a variety of other aspects of your infrastructure as well. Different companies and people have different SLA requirements. If for instance you require constanct uptime you may want to implement automatic failover, clustering, regional deployments and/or storage, more. Implement redundancy in your hardware, like RAID 5 or 10 perhaps with onboard battery for critical data systems.

So, the methods and strategy you develop for DR depends entirely on your stated needs and can vary tremendously, whether you’re guarding against simple local hardware/software failure, site destruction, a regional catastrophe, more.

HTH,
TSU

Nice, TY.

I use : “Make backups locally, but move the copies off-site regularly to two other locations.” and I’m going to mix it with the cloud.

How do you handle file moves on the Backup when you have a Backup of the Backup ? UNISON is too heavy when you have more than 200GB and I still don’t get how to use RSYNC.

Will this work in that case ? . I mean that, Would it copy the file that is present in a new location where it was moved and delete it form the directory form where it was moved ? I think it will but there’s a lot of data there. I may just make a simulation and review that which is a lot of work.

rsync -r -t -o -g -v --progress --delete --size-only -u -l -H -s /run/media/za/Main /run/media/za/Backup

Next topic : OpenSUSE System recovery :

I visited this site and it’s great. http://swerdna.dyndns.org/susebootfive.html
It seems like it;s very easy just boot a Live session and choose boot form hard drive and then use Yast to repair.

To develop a Disaster Recover Plan you need to answer some questions.
To begin, is this for home use or business use?
After the disaster how long before you have to be up and running again?
Might you have to deal with any regulatory, legal, contractual, or insurance issues related to the disaster?
You did not mention it, but you might want to consider evacuation planning.

Sorry I’m not confused but I am imagining what a “Evacuation plan” could be, instead I want to see your definition to differentiate between “Recovery” and “Evacuation”. In a Operative System manner.

It’s my “work” which is Study and research. :stuck_out_tongue:
I Think that maybe an Hour and a half is realistic to recover.
I would like to have a solution that can work for Home and Business to recommend to anyone.

Thank you

The time it takes is dependent on the amount of data and the channels used to recover.

Also how you approach it depends on how much money you are willing to spend to get the last 9’s in up time. This will be different for a company and an individual.

An “Evacuation plan” is just that. what are you going to do (before, during and after) if you must leave your place of residence or business due to an emergency (e.g. Here in Idaho last year people had to leave their homes because of the forest fires, in southern States sometimes people must evacuate because of hurricanes). The reason I suggested an Evacuation plan (while it may be extreme) is that there has to be a reason behind your needing to recover lost data.

To have the ability to recover within an hour and one half might be expensive. The material you would need to have on hand is going to depend on how large of a computer operation you need to get back up and running and what computer equipment you have access to after the “box” stores have closed (computers do not need recovery at noon they need recovery at midnight). There are ways to mitigate the cost of having duplicate computer equipment (e.g. have an agreement to share resources in the event of an emergency with a friend).

The data you are moving off site should be encrypted. Your passphrases need to be backed up and accessible in the event you lose your primary computing device.

I do not think it is possible to develop a one size fits all disaster recovery plan. What I am trying to do is ask you some of the questions you need to answer to create a personalized disaster recover plan.

Ok great. I’m not getting ready for hurricanes. Just for HDD failure and basic systems problems or how to prevent those. Maybe with Yast this is solved.

Maybe this is not what you looking for, but you can try Acronis True Image with Recovery Boot CD.
This works great with ext4 too… :wink:

J Andrew wrote:

>
> binarydepth;2627458 Wrote:
>> Hi I want to start this thread to learn before problems arise and
<snip>
> To develop a Disaster Recover Plan you need to answer some
questions.
> To begin, is this for home use or business use?
> After the disaster how long before you have to be up and running
> again? Might you have to deal with any regulatory, legal,
</snip>
>
I agree with a lot of what you said. But a lot of businesses and
people make proper recovery plans for their systems
(hardware/software) thru backups but forget to have Business recovery
plan also. This plan should include where are your employees going to
work and how will they access the system if the two locations are
spread apart. How long will you need this setup.

Many other things come into play even if your a small business. We
used to test our DR plans every 6 months and always found little small
changes were necessary.

DR is a major concern. Many home users do not even understand about
backups. This is not stressed enough by the PC type vendors.

My wife’s system is a good example. It crashed last Friday, Disc died.
she lost everything on it, could not access anything. Luckily she had
done a backup of all critical data the day before. She is also well
aware of the DR issues since she used to write DR plans for a DR
supplier.

Sorry forgeting on a soap box, but DR is critical.

Russ

openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop x86_64|
Intel(R) Quad Core™ i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|
GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49)|KDE 4.12.2

Okay now that you have limited the scope (no longer any case as in the title), if you can run 2 hard drives in your computer you might consider using raid 1. Also, consider getting a good UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to handle power outages or brownouts. Even if you have a laptop, you might need the power to keep a router, modem or printer running.

If you are using LUKS make a back up of the LUKS header and burn it to a cd/dvd (stored on your rescue cd/dvd is a good place)

Another thing to consider, Software Licensing: If you only use linux this might not be a concern, but if you use programs/games that run in a windows os you might want to keep a backup of the installation disks off site along with a copy of any “keys” necessary to install the software.

TY, Very thankful for your response and sorry for the ambiguity. I just didn’t want to force the topic. But Yes I don’t need huracane backup. But anything in the RECOVERY topic is welcome by everybody.

I will collect information and make tutorials initially for OpenSUSE.

Maybe in general someone can point me to OpenSUSE recovery pages. But I don’t to obfuscate anyone because know it;s a lot of info and sometimes not that needed but I have a precaution and futuristic administration just because it saves tons of time and resources ot be reayd fopr anything.

Again thank you for your responses everyone. BD