Thread: New Help with /dev/sda1

Default New Help with /dev/sda1

To start, I'm running openSuSE 12.3.

I'm not quite certain how my root partition (9.9G) got to be 100% full. I restarted yesterday and couldn't get to the login screen during restart. I was attempting to install eclipse before the restart, but couldn't get YAST to work. init 5 shows the opensuse page with the lizard on a vine (Plymouth?), the one which appears right before the login screen and will sit there for an hour if I let it. init 3 does nothing. I can't startx, either. Does openSuSE even use x? no se. Previously, the Sendmail Client failed, but I could get to [OK] Reached Target Graphical Interface. Command line still works and I can maneuver and ls/cd/df -h to my heart's content.

I see when I df -h: /dev/sda1 9.9G 9.9G 0 100% /
    But! I'm confused about moving on from there. So, "df -h /*" ? What files could/should I remove? And, how do I find them?

Thanks for the info. At least I learned CTR-ALT-F1/F2 brings up a terminal, right? That's a brain wrinkle.

**UPDATE: Forgot to say I changed cron to reflect CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP="YES"**
    Last edited by boygenuis; 26-Feb-2014 at 09:49. Reason: Added info

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Help with /dev/sda1

Quote Originally Posted by boygenuis View Post
    To start, I'm running openSuSE 12.3.

I'm not quite certain how my root partition (9.9G) got to be 100% full. I restarted yesterday and couldn't get to the login screen during restart. I was attempting to install eclipse before the restart, but couldn't get YAST to work. init 5 shows the opensuse page with the lizard on a vine (Plymouth?), the one which appears right before the login screen and will sit there for an hour if I let it. init 3 does nothing. I can't startx, either. Does openSuSE even use x? no se. Previously, the Sendmail Client failed, but I could get to [OK] Reached Target Graphical Interface. Command line still works and I can maneuver and ls/cd/df -h to my heart's content.

I see when I df -h: /dev/sda1 9.9G 9.9G 0 100% /
    But! I'm confused about moving on from there. So, "df -h /*" ? What files could/should I remove? And, how do I find them?

Thanks for the info. At least I learned CTR-ALT-F1/F2 brings up a terminal, right? That's a brain wrinkle.

**UPDATE: Forgot to say I changed cron to reflect CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP="YES"**
    My guess, no, my bet is that installing Eclipse pulled in a lot of other stuff. A 10GB root partition is IME too small.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I'd only just gotten the rpm from software repo and after Apper wouldn't install, I downloaded the ymp and attempted to open with YAST. Do you think when I attempted to install from the rpm it dumped a bunch of stuff in, like, /lib or something? If so, I can just delete the eclipse stuff, boot, and then resize root, right?

Thanks.

Way too small of a root for any serious work

You need to remove stuff to get back to a usable machine so you probably will need to boot to a terminal rather then a GUI to straighten it out.

Never ever log into a GUI as root you will damage stuff.

On 2014-02-26 18:36, boygenuis wrote:
    >
    > I'd only just gotten the rpm from software repo and after Apper wouldn't
    > install, I downloaded the ymp and attempted to open with YAST. Do you
    > think when I attempted to install from the rpm it dumped a bunch of
    > stuff in, like, /lib or something? If so, I can just delete the eclipse
    > stuff, boot, and then resize root, right?

If you can log in text mode, you can try use the command "rpm" to remove
    packages.

Another common possibility are too many log files. Or "/tmp" directory
    (CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP does not work on recent releases).

Your system is probably too small.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)