Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Sound through HDMI, NVidia proprietary drivers installed

Default No Sound through HDMI, NVidia proprietary drivers installed

I hate to rehash this, but I have gone through countless threads and done many things, but to no avail.

So here are my system specs:

CPU - Intel Atom D525 1.8
    Memory - 4Gb
    Chipset - Intel NM10 Express
    Onboard Graphics - Next Generation NVidia ION 512 MB DDR3

Looks like this: http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id41.html

aplay -l
    Code:
    media-box@linux-h9ia:~> aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    aplay -L
    Code:
    media-box@linux-h9ia:~> aplay -L
    null
        Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
        Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)
    sysdefault:CARD=Intel
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        Front speakers
    surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
        7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, ALC892 Digital
        IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
        HDMI Audio Output
    This DOES produce sound:
    Code:
    speaker-test -c2 -D plughw:1,7
    I have installed the proprietary NVidia driver.

I have deleted the other card in YaST > Sound and set my NVidia card to default.

Default Re: No Sound through HDMI, NVidia proprietary drivers installed

I have deleted the other card in YaST > Sound and set my NVidia card to default.
    After you ran aplay -x? The output suggests that NVIDIA is still second.
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Also, supply what desktop environment you use, KDE, GNOME etc. and if you use Pulseaudio, pavucontrol and so on; might be useful.

Sorry, did not pay attention to what system this was: 'Looks like this: http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id41.html'

Do you use any DE with this?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Currently it is running LXDE. I have pulse audio installed, but pavucontrol can't connect to it, so I will probably uninstall it tonight.

All of my YaST work (setting the NVidia to default) was done before running aplay. I know it displays that the NVidia card is still second, but I set it as default in YaST, heck it's the only one configured in YaST > Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by BugTrackerJacker View Post
    Currently it is running LXDE. I have pulse audio installed, but pavucontrol can't connect to it, so I will probably uninstall it tonight.
    pavucontrol can only connect to pulseaudio if pulseaudio is running of course.
    So you have to have pulseaudio enabled in YaST->Hardware->Sound->Other->PulseAudio Configuration.
    Just having it installed is not enough.

I know I suggested you to try with PA disabled in the other thread, but have you actually tried to set the default sound output in pavucontrol with pulseaudio _enabled_? (I suggested this as well, but maybe I was not clear enough)
    Note that you may have to logout/login (or reboot) after enabling PulseAudio for it to work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    So you have to have pulseaudio enabled in YaST->Hardware->Sound->Other->PulseAudio Configuration.
    Just having it installed is not enough.

I know I suggested you to try with PA disabled in the other thread, but have you actually tried to set the default sound output in pavucontrol with pulseaudio _enabled_? (I suggested this as well, but maybe I was not clear enough)
    Note that you may have to logout/login (or reboot) after enabling PulseAudio for it to work correctly.

I have not configured pulseaudio, I will do that tonight. Coming from Lubuntu, it did that automatically, which I figure is against the Linux security model. Anyway, I will look at this when I get home.

Also, I have a habit of rebooting after almost every change I make with audio/video. I think I spend most of my time rebooting when I am setting up this stuff.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

You don't have to reboot just log out log back in. ie that will restart the desktop environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BugTrackerJacker View Post

All of my YaST work (setting the NVidia to default) was done before running aplay. I know it displays that the NVidia card is still second, but I set it as default in YaST, heck it's the only one configured in YaST > Sound.
    You should probably try to follow wolfi's suggestions through; but as an alternative, if it all fails, is to set up ALSA with a local .asoundrc file, it may do the trick.

I have a similar problem on my laptop; it is opposite to yours though, HDMI is set as the first device and I am unable to change that order with the YaST module. I use KDE, without PulseAudio which I do not want to use, and have the possibility to configure the preferred output device order through 'System Settings >> Phonon, this works fine; however, that order do not apply to non KDE applications, hence, the solution is a bit limited; using a simple .asoundrc configuration file is the way I manage the audio-device order.

PS
    PulseAudio does work, but I use JACK also so its just a bother.
    If you want a .asoundrc 'default' sample file just let us know, I or someone else could provide you with one.

Olav

I may add that the above set-up gives me audio software mixing capabilities, i.e. output sound from multiple applications simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Just did this, logged out, still no sound. I wonder if I have PA installed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauce View Post
    You should probably try to follow wolfi's suggestions through; but as an alternative, if it all fails, is to set up ALSA with a local .asoundrc file, it may do the trick.
    I have seen this done, but am not entirely sure how to set up the .asoundrc. Any suggestions?+

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast