Star Wars Battlefront II

Hi. I’m about to set up a new computer for my kids. Their last was a Windows laptop that failed. Going forward, the primary operating system will be opensuse 13.1. This will work for everything that is needed, except that I have this Star Wars Battlefront disk sitting here that is going to need to work in one way or another. I can set up a dual boot and have it run in Windows, but I would really rather not do that. I’m looking for options.

1. Does SWBF II run under wine? Honestly, any user experience would be helpful.

2. Wine HQ references it running under Steam. This rather puzzles me, as there is no linux version of SWBF II on Steam. Is the idea here to run Steam under wine and and load SWBF II under that?

3. Any other ideas? I would be happy to pay $10 to have it run under Steam, but as I said, it seems to be PC only.

Thanks!

its unknown if the game will run under wine, sadly winbe is not a replacement for windows and can only do so much.
the only real thing to do is try it, after all never know if it will work until you try.

On 02/24/2014 12:36 PM, JJMT wrote:
>
> 2. Wine HQ references it running under Steam. This rather puzzles me, as
> there is no linux version of SWBF II on Steam. Is the idea here to run
> Steam under wine and and load SWBF II under that?
>

Yes, you would have to run the windows executable for steam under wine
(last I tried it works fine)

> 3. Any other ideas? I would be happy to pay $10 to have it run under
> Steam, but as I said, it seems to be PC only.

Check PlayOnLinux, might have a setup for it to make installation of the
non steam version easier.

Bring the Penguins Back! https://features.opensuse.org/316767
openSUSE 13.1
KDE 4.11.4

Thanks for the input, folks. This is where I am at: having weighed some options I decided that I would just dive in and experiment on my own laptop with the most promising option: installing Steam via winetricks and then buying the Steam version of the game. So, I’ve done all that. The game appears to work, although there have been some funny mouse pointer issues and a few other things that are most likely the result of Desktop Effects, and will require some further consideration/investigation.

Alas, I have never been much of a gamer and I don’t really know how to test it further. So I guess I’m going to run with this option until it is proven to fail.

If you are running games under wine best to run under a DE like XFCE or lxde to get better performance

Understood. The missing piece of information is that one of my primary objectives in this process is to minimize my own effort. I’m not going to give them Windows because I am so tired of fixing Windows. One Windows computer in the house (wife’s) is more than enough. The kids will use KDE because that is what I use and I am far too lazy to learn something new. If their gaming experience suffers a bit, well, I can live with that. :stuck_out_tongue:

JJMT wrote:

> The kids
> will use KDE because that is what I use and I am far too lazy to learn
> something new. If their gaming experience suffers a bit, well, I can
> live with that.

Make sure that you have option enabled to disable desktop effects for full
screen applications in KDE system settings > desktop effects > advanced.

hey, guys, good idea;)