Thread: [opensuse 11.4] no more /var/log/messages

Default [opensuse 11.4] no more /var/log/messages

Greetings !!

Since I tried to install an application to handle my ipod under linux (that implied installation of many libs) I got many issues (applications that won't launch anymore)
    I removed the last applications/libs using rpm -qa --last and strictly removed those installed the interval I tried to install this ipod application (3rd party, from source code)

As many applications (not so many but they were useful for me) won't launch anymore I was searching for messages in /var/log --> in the var/log/messages files the last message sent was for 22 feb 4:07 am (since I rebooted many times and did things with my system).

So the problem is: there is no more logs in /var/log/messages some other logs are still updated (http://susepaste.org/66878478).
    I set my /etc/sysconfig to use syslog-ng to log.

I checked the syslog-ng.conf file and remembered I disabled the redirection of logs on console 10
    Code:
    #
    # Most warning and errors on tty10 and on the xconsole pipe:
    #
    #destination console  { file("/dev/tty10"    suppress(30) owner(-1) group(-1) perm(-1)); };
    #log { source(src); source(chroots); filter(f_console); destination(console); };

#destination xconsole { pipe("/dev/xconsole" suppress(30) owner(-1) group(-1) perm(-1)); };
    #log { source(src); source(chroots); filter(f_console); destination(xconsole); };
    but this directive is still enabled

Code:
    #
    # All messages except iptables and the facilities news and mail:
    #
    destination messages { file("/var/log/messages" suppress(30) owner(-1) group(-1) perm(-1)); };
    log { source(src); source(chroots); filter(f_messages); destination(messages); };
    ...so I expect the messages telling something is going wrong to be added to /var/log/messages

Default AW: [opensuse 11.4] no more /var/log/messages

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    So the problem is: there is no more logs in /var/log/messages some other logs are still updated (http://susepaste.org/66878478).
    I set my /etc/sysconfig to use syslog-ng to log.
    Is the syslog service actually enabled?
    Code:
    chkconfig syslog
    chkconfig earlysyslog
    Is syslog-ng actually installed? Maybe you removed it by accident?
    But I guess another syslog implementation would be pulled in automatically in that case, which should write to /var/log/messages as well.

Default Re: [opensuse 11.4] no more /var/log/messages

You're right, I changed the sysconfig to use rsyslog and now I got writes in /var/log/messages.

Code:
    [root]antares:/var/log # more /etc/sysconfig/syslog | grep SYSLOG_DAEMON
    #SYSLOG_DAEMON="syslog-ng"
    SYSLOG_DAEMON="rsyslogd"
    Code:
    [root]antares:/var/log # chkconfig -l | grep syslog
    earlysyslog               0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:off  5:on   6:off
    syslog                    0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:off  5:on   6:off
    I just wonder why syslog-ng stopped suddenly to log...

Default Re: [opensuse 11.4] no more /var/log/messages

Quote Originally Posted by soundlord View Post
    I just wonder why syslog-ng stopped suddenly to log...
    You can't install rsyslog and syslog-ng (or any other syslog implementation) at the same time as they conflict. (at 13.1 at least, not sure if that was the case already in 11.4 but I think so)
    I'm pretty sure therefore that syslog-ng is not installed at all (the config files stay even when you uninstall it) and that's why it doesn't work.

So just install syslog-ng in YaST (rsyslog should be removed automatically then) and it should work.
    Or use zypper:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in syslog-ng
    Last edited by wolfi323; 23-Feb-2014 at 09:07.