Thread: PC or Monitor?

Default PC or Monitor?

Hi,

I just bought a refurbished Dell XPS 8700 and a new Crossover 27Q monitor. The Dell came without an OS, which probably should have been a red flag, but I thought it would be no problem to put Linux on it. It is a problem. I have tried various distros and the most successful seems to be OpenSUSU with the UEFI/secure boot enabled. Here is a video of what happens at startup. Sometimes I can see the Welcome screen but this is typical. My first dilemna, is this a monitor problem or a PC problem? The video card is a Radeon 7570.

Blog Entries

Default Re: PC or Monitor?

Can you start up in recovery mode? That might get a basic working desktop environment for you. Then, you might consider trying the proprietary AMD driver that may support the graphics hardware better.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:ATI_drivers

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Can you start up in recovery mode? That might get a basic working desktop environment for you. Then, you might consider trying the proprietary AMD driver that may support the graphics hardware better.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:ATI_drivers
    Well, AFAICS the corruption already starts on the BIOS screen with the Dell logo, before the boot menu appears, so it's definitely _no_ software/graphics driver issue.

I would check the cables first, maybe they are not connected correctly.

Try a different cable if possible.

Maybe try a different PC on this monitor, or the same PC on a different monitor to find if it's the PC's or Monitor's fault.

I would suspect the graphics card more though.
    Do you have onboard graphics in addition to the graphics card maybe?
    You could try this then instead of the card, you may have to take out the card though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Feb-2014 at 14:22.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, AFAICS the corruption already starts on the BIOS screen with the Dell logo, before the boot menu appears, so it's definitely _no_ software/graphics driver issue.
    Sorry, missed that. I didn't play the video, just saw what I though might be X-server related.

Yes, worth checking all cables/hardware, and trying a discrete graphics card (if one is at hand)....

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Sorry, missed that. I didn't play the video, just saw what I though might be X-server related.

Yes, worth checking all cables/hardware, and trying a discrete graphics card (if one is at hand)....
    Yes. Check the pins on the cable connections, wiggle the cable to see if there is a broken wire, wiggle the connectors, pull the graphic card out (with the PC off, of course) and reseat it, wiggling it as you reseat it to remove oxidation from the contacts. As mentioned above, if there is an onboard card, pull the add-in card out & enable the onboard, etc.

Good luck
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net