Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help changing KDE language to Icelandic

Default help changing KDE language to Icelandic

Dear all,

I'd like to change the language from German to Icelandic, I have opensuse 13.1 and installed the KDE Icelandic language pack via YAST, but in the language selection there is no Icelandic to select.

I would appreciate any help.

kind thanks

Default changing Firefox/Thunderbird language to Icelandic

Dear all,

I'd like to change the interface language of Firefox and Thunderbird from German to Icelandic.
    I have opensuse 13.1, I have installed the language add ons, but when I deselect all languages except Icelandic the language does not change to Icelandic but is English.

Any help would be kindly appreciated

Default Re: changing Firefox/Thunderbird language to Icelandic

Quote Originally Posted by spacebirdy View Post
    Dear all,

I'd like to change the interface language of Firefox and Thunderbird from German to Icelandic.
    I have opensuse 13.1, I have installed the language add ons, but when I deselect all languages except Icelandic the language does not change to Icelandic but is English.

Any help would be kindly appreciated
    Firefox and Thunderbird just uses the system's language like any other program as well.
    To change that use YaST->System->Language, or change it directly in /etc/sysconfig/language ("RC_LANG").
    You may have to install the icelandic language in YaST->Software Management->View->Languages first, though.

If you only want one particular application in a different language, start it like this:
    Code:
    LANG=is firefox
    KDE applications do allow to switch the language on a per-application base, in the "Help" menu.

Default Re: help changing KDE language to Icelandic

Do you have installed from YaST > Software > Software Management and then from the View menu: Languages and installed from there? It should install a group of packages, not just the KDE translations.

And I assume that you have to logout/login for KDE to detect the new language.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: changing Firefox/Thunderbird language to Icelandic

You are double posting. Please don't!

This one is closed and will be merged.
    Henk van Velden

This is one of a double post and is CLOSED, awaiting merge.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    This is one of a double post and is CLOSED, awaiting merge.
    Merged into Applications and open again.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Do you have installed from YaST > Software > Software Management and then from the View menu: Languages and installed from there? It should install a group of packages, not just the KDE translations.

And I assume that you have to logout/login for KDE to detect the new language.
    yes I have.

still there is no Icelandic to select in system/languages everything else but Icelandic, even zulu -.-

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323
    To change that use YaST->System->Language, or change it directly in /etc/sysconfig/language ("RC_LANG").
    You may have to install the icelandic language in YaST->Software Management->View->Languages first, though.
    I tried, but there is no Icelandic to select, neither in yast>system>lang nor in /etc/sysconfig/lang ("rc_lang")

I did install the icelandic language in YaST->Software Management->View->Languages first

I am sorry, but I am new in opensuse

Quote Originally Posted by spacebirdy View Post
    still there is no Icelandic to select in system/languages everything else but Icelandic, even zulu -.-
    Check that the package kde4-l10n-is is installed, you should then be able to select icelandic in KDE's settings at least.

I tried, but there is no Icelandic to select, neither in yast>system>lang nor in /etc/sysconfig/lang ("rc_lang")[/QUOTE]
    /etc/sysconfig/language is just a text file. There's nothing to select there. Just start a text editor (with "kdesu kwrite /etc/sysconfig/language" f.e.) and change that line to:
    Code:
    RC_LANG="is.UTF-8"

As you say, there is no support for Icelandic as a system language; so you will have to use a different language for system messages. However, you can install dictionaries for Icelandic for use with KDE and LibreOffice. You need to select Icelandic under System Preferences>Locale and System Preferences>Input Devices>Keyboard>Layouts and in LibreOffice>Tools>Options>Languages.

If you need to use other languages, you can select them under Format>Character in LibreOffice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast