Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

  1. #1

    Default No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    I migrated my lenovo T510i notebook from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1 and reinstalled the proprietary nvidia driver from the community repo.
    Dektop effects were on and working in 12.2. They are also ticked on in 13.1. But when I log in I only see some distorted graphic for some seconds and then the normal desktop without effects.
    Is this known already? Some fix available? I haven't found something on the forum so far.

  2. #2

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    Is this known already? Some fix available? I haven't found something on the forum so far.
    If the nvidia driver is working, KDE's desktop effect should work as well.

    Probably there's a problem with your nvidia installation.

    Please install the package "Mesa-demo-x" and post the output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    What nvidia and kernel packages do you have installed?
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "(kernel|nvidia)"
    Have you installed all updates already?
    There was a problem in 12.3 and 13.1 that you might have to add your user to the "video" group for the nvidia driver to fully work.
    See https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x8...47462154153376
    This has been fixed by an update though, and thus should not be necessary if your system has all the latest packages.
    Whether you are affected by this should be revealed by the first command above.

  3. #3

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    Thanks for the quick response!
    The list of installed kernel packages looks suspicious. It is definitely not my intention to have several kernel versions and flavours installed (except for latest desktop/xen).
    Also the nvidia packages for G02 and G03 is strange. I will try to reduce this to what I really need.

    Code:
    # glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: NVS 3100M/PCIe/SSE2
        GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering, 
        GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | egrep "(kernel|nvidia)"
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.8-4.9.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.6-4.1.noarch
    nvidia-glG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.6-4.1.noarch
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130714git-2.5.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-source-3.4.63-2.44.1.noarch
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.38_k3.11.6_4-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.noarch
    kernel-xen-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop-304.43_k3.4.6_2.10-19.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG02-304.43-20.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-devel_kernel-13.1-13.6.1.x86_64
    Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux job2.job.de 3.11.10-7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 3 09:41:24 UTC 2014 (750023e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    P.S.: Yes, I installed all available online updates.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,861
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!
    The list of installed kernel packages looks suspicious. It is definitely not my intention to have several kernel versions and flavours installed (except for latest desktop/xen).
    Also the nvidia packages for G02 and G03 is strange. I will try to reduce this to what I really need.

    Code:
    # glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: NVS 3100M/PCIe/SSE2
        GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering, 
        GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | egrep "(kernel|nvidia)"
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.8-4.9.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.6-4.1.noarch
    nvidia-glG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.6-4.1.noarch
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130714git-2.5.1.noarch
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-source-3.4.63-2.44.1.noarch
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.38_k3.11.6_4-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.noarch
    kernel-xen-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop-304.43_k3.4.6_2.10-19.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.4.63-2.44.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG02-304.43-20.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.6-4.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-devel_kernel-13.1-13.6.1.x86_64
    Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux job2.job.de 3.11.10-7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 3 09:41:24 UTC 2014 (750023e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    You installed both the G02 and the G03 driver, That's not going to work. Uninstall the packages marked in red, then install either the G02 packages or the G03 ones.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!
    The list of installed kernel packages looks suspicious. It is definitely not my intention to have several kernel versions and flavours installed (except for latest desktop/xen).
    You do only have those 2 kernel flavours.
    The rest are the *-devel packages for compiling kernel modules yourself.
    I think kernel-syms needs all of those.

    But they should do no harm.

    Also the nvidia packages for G02 and G03 is strange. I will try to reduce this to what I really need.
    Yes, that's most likely the reason for your problem.
    But please remove _all_ nvidia packages, and then install the 4 necessary G03 packages.
    The packages do contain the same files, so if you just uninstall the G02 packages, some files from the G03 packages will be missing as well.
    You need those 4:
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop, x11-video-nvidiaG03, nvidia-glG03, nvidia-computeG03
    Btw, something like this should not be possible anymore by mistake in the next openSUSE version, because zypper has been changed to check for file conflicts in Factory recently, so it would warn when trying to install both the G02 and G03 driver then.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Feb-2014 at 06:19.

  6. #6

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    Ok, after telinit 3 I uninstalled all nvidia packages. Then I reinstalled the 4 G03 packages and rebooted. I also had cleaned up all old kernel packages. Now the output is much easier to read (and my /boot partition has some room left for the next kernel update...):

    Code:
    # glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: NVS 3100M/PCIe/SSE2
        GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering, 
        GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
    Code:
    # rpm -qa | egrep "(kernel|nvidia)"
    kernel-desktop-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    nfs-kernel-server-1.2.8-4.9.1.x86_64
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    x11-video-nvidiaG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop-331.38_k3.11.6_4-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-devel-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    kernel-xen-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-syms-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20130714git-2.5.1.noarch
    kernel-source-3.11.10-7.1.noarch
    nvidia-glG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    kernel-xen-3.11.10-7.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG03-331.38-23.1.x86_64
    patterns-openSUSE-devel_kernel-13.1-13.6.1.x86_64
    Unfortunately it did not help. I found this suspicious error in /var/log/X.0.log. I'll try to google this:
    Code:
    [    47.907] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Context
    P.S.: seems to be unrelated and harmles (see https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=812426)

  7. #7

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    Ok, after telinit 3 I uninstalled all nvidia packages.

    You could have done this in runlevel 5 as well...
    No need to switch to text mode.

    Unfortunately it did not help. I found this suspicious error in /var/log/X.0.log. I'll try to google this:
    Code:
    [    47.907] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Context
    This is normal if the nvidia driver is installed. The undefined symbol error comes from the fact that nvidia replaces Mesa's libGL with its own incompatible version.
    FYI, glamor is 2d hardware acceleration via OpenGL, but you don't need that because the nvidia driver provides its own 2d acceleration anyway. (glamor is mostly used on intel and _some_ ATI cards with the Open Source radeon driver AFAIK)

    Have you tried with a new user already?

    What are your settings in "Configure Desktop"->"Desktop Effects"->Advanced?
    They should be set to "OpenGL 2.0" (or OpenGL 3.1) and "Raster".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Feb-2014 at 07:30.

  8. #8

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1 (solved)

    I browsed the system settings for desktop effects and changed the composite type from XRender to OpenGL 3.1
    Don't ask why, pure luck? Anyways, now it works.
    Thanks for the support!


    P.S.:
    Ah, didn't see your last post, cool, so that would have fixed it, too. Although I have graphic system Native. Will try Raster now, too.
    Regarding text mode: There were times when this was necessary. Good to know I can dump this old habit

  9. #9

    Default Re: No KDE desktop effects after migrating from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1 (solved)

    Quote Originally Posted by joba1 View Post
    Ah, didn't see your last post, cool, so that would have fixed it, too. Although I have graphic system Native. Will try Raster now, too.
    Nowadays Raster is recommended especially in combination with OpenGL for performance reasons.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •