Strange visual style for some applications in 13.1 on KDE desktop

I got surprised by end of life of 12.2 and quickly needed to jump into 13.1. Now I wonder a bit about the strange grapics style of some applications. More like Athena widgets in the 80s or Motif in the 90s…

While Emacs and pavucontrol are not parts of OpenSUSE or KDE desktop (probably Gtk, haven’t checked) I think they looked better in 12.2. But the screenshot http://picpaste.com/buttons2-rc1V0BX0.png (*) is from Libreoffice and I understood that is well integrated to OpenSUSE.

Have a look at the square buttons inside the dialog, compared to the “nicely” rounded colors and shadows produced by KWin for the whole dialog.

Is this normal as other KDE desktop users are see it too? Or was I too “generous” when dropping some packages sounding like Gnome from the installation list? I assumed if the package is required it will be pulled in later, but maybe that assumption was wrong?

I’m not really into spending any time for theming and customizing. But this looks surprisingly “raw”.

(*) For some reason inserting a pic into this forum does not work. Not sure whether this is another issue in my new desktop or a forum server issue.

On 2014-02-21 00:16, geuder wrote:
>
> I got surprised by end of life of 12.2 and quickly needed to jump into
> 13.1. Now I wonder a bit about the strange grapics style of some
> applications. More like Athena widgets in the 80s or Motif in the 90s…
>
> While Emacs and pavucontrol are not parts of OpenSUSE or KDE desktop
> (probably Gtk, haven’t checked) I think they looked better in 12.2. But
> the screenshot http://picpaste.com/buttons2-rc1V0BX0.png (*) is from
> Libreoffice and I understood that is well integrated to OpenSUSE.

I think it is in the release notes. Did you read them?
IIRC there is an incompatibility between libreoffice kde integration
package and ibus, with the result that the finish is ugly. You had to
install the gnome integration package instead, or remove ibus.

But maybe this has been solved already - did you install the updates?

> (*) For some reason inserting a pic into this forum does not work. Not
> sure whether this is another issue in my new desktop or a forum server
> issue.

You simply can not, not allowed. Instead, upload to susepaste.org and
insert the link here.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

No, this bug has yet to be addressed.
It’s not an openSUSE bug but an upstream one.

While Emacs and pavucontrol are not parts of OpenSUSE or KDE desktop (probably Gtk, haven’t checked) I think they looked better in 12.2

to have gtk3 apps follow your KDE desktop (if you are using the default Oxygen theme) you need to also install . . .

gtk3-engine-oxygen
gtk3-theme-oxygen

as these are not installed by default (for some reason).

Then set KDE to use it in

config desktop > application appearance > gtk

On 2014-02-21 06:06, farcusnz wrote:

> No, this bug has yet to be addressed.

Oh.

> It’s not an openSUSE bug but an upstream one.

> to have gtk3 apps follow your KDE desktop (if you are using the default
> Oxygen theme) you need to also install . . .

He said he dropped some packages he thought were from gnome. This could
affect things.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Thanks, that fixed the appearance of Emacs and pavucontrol. Seems indeed that they where never suggested, I don’t think I dropped them during my installation diet.

However, Libreoffice is unchanged. Probably 2 different issues. It looks like Emacs and pavucontrol where “extremely ugly” before, but Libreoffice menus and buttons are just a “bit unsuitable”.

Now I have:

$ zypper se -t package oxygen
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                                    | Summary                                                           | Type   
--+-----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
  | apache2-icons-oxygen                    | Oxygen icons for Apache 2                                         | package
  | doxygen                                 | Automated C, C++, and Java Documentation Generator                | package
i | gtk2-engine-oxygen                      | Oxygen GTK 2.x Theme Engine                                       | package
  | gtk2-engine-oxygen-32bit                | Oxygen GTK 2.x Theme Engine                                       | package
i | gtk2-theme-oxygen                       | Oxygen GTK 2.x Theme                                              | package
i | gtk3-engine-oxygen                      | Oxygen GTK 3.x Theme Engine                                       | package
  | gtk3-engine-oxygen-32bit                | Oxygen GTK 3.x Theme Engine                                       | package
i | gtk3-theme-oxygen                       | Oxygen GTK 3.x Theme                                              | package
  | kde-oxygen-fonts                        | A desktop/gui font family for integrated use with the KDE desktop | package
i | kdebase4-workspace-liboxygenstyle       | The Libraries of the oxygen-style                                 | package
  | kdebase4-workspace-liboxygenstyle-32bit | The Libraries of the oxygen-style                                 | package
i | libreoffice-icon-theme-oxygen           | Oxygen LibreOffice Icon Theme (KDE4 default)                      | package
i | oxygen-icon-theme                       | Oxygen Icon Theme                                                 | package
  | oxygen-icon-theme-large                 | Oxygen Icon Theme                                                 | package
  | oxygen-icon-theme-scalable              | Oxygen Icon Theme                                                 | package
  | oxygen-molecule                         | GTK theme to match KDE desktop environment                        | package
  | plasma-theme-oxygen                     | The Oxygen Plasma Theme                                           | package
i | yast2-theme-openSUSE-Oxygen             | YaST2 - Theme (openSUSE)                                          | package

Still anything missing?

Didn’t find anything to change there. Oxygen was already selected.

I always browse them when I install but the only bad things I remember were Bluetooth
and Skype. Now I searched more carefully, noting about Libreoffice, ibus or anything I could make
match the issue.

Yes, they are installed.

Ah, susepaste.org supports images, nice.

this is likely caused by ibus.
There is a conflict between libreoffice-kde4 and ibus

if you do not use ibus just uninstall it.
If you use ibus then remove libreoffice-kde4 and replace it with libreoffice-gnome

Didn’t find anything to change there. Oxygen was already selected.

there should be seperate entries for gtk2 theme and gtk3 theme (if you are using kde 4.10 or greater.)

I don’t have ibus installed.

But the problem was that I only had libreoffice, but not libreoffice-kde4. This was my own mistake. Libreoffice-kde4 was on the list of recommended packages. I don’t always install everything that is recommended, because I prefer I slimmer system. But here I overlooked something useful.

This went 100% according to the OpenSUSE mission. openSUSE:Strategy - openSUSE Wiki There was a sane default and the user had the freedom of choice to do it way he didn’t like :wink:

Yes, there are. But both were oxygen already without me changing anything.

Summary: there were 2 different issues: GTK3 apps and Libreoffice. Both solved now. Thanks everybody!

On 2014-03-23 12:36, geuder wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2626163 Wrote:
>>
>> I think it is in the release notes. Did you read them?
>> IIRC there is an incompatibility between libreoffice kde integration
>> package and ibus, with the result that the finish is ugly. You had to
>> install the gnome integration package instead, or remove ibus.
>>
> I always browse them when I install but the only bad things I remember
> were Bluetooth and Skype. Now I searched more carefully, noting about Libreoffice, ibus
> or anything I could make match the issue.

You are right, it is not there. I thought it was, because I read about
it somewhere.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)