Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 can break dualboot?

Default Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 can break dualboot?

Laptop HP Pavilion 14 (what HP calls a "sleekbook"), dualbooting oS 13.1 64-bit KDE4.11 and W8.

Today I had to connect to the internet to access a site that would not work with FF on oS 13.1. The dumb site works in IE, however . I then got a notice that W8.1 free upgrade was available in their store. It was quite difficult to leave the notice without installing it, most annoying.

Anyway, in Yast bootloader module it says it's using grub2-efi. /boot/efi resides in sda2 260 MB partition. That's the windows boot manager that grub2 chainloads to, IINM. I don't know were grub2 is installed, things are a bit (lot) different from grub...

My question is: If I allow the upgrade to W8.1, will it break the boot menu/grub2 (like, perhaps, booting directly into windows)? If so, what measures should I take to prevent or fix it?

Thanks,

Bruno

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 can break dualboot?

Hi
    It did for me, for a start my windows 8 partition was too small and it needs to create an additional partition from what I could see so blew up my install.... now that may have been because of the partition size? Anyway, it said it couldn't update and rolled back to 8.0 and no more openSUSE boot....

I wasn't worried I just re-installed openSUSE and no windows.... I now have a bigger drive so re-installed windows 8, let it upgrade, shrunk it down to 100GB and carried on with my openSUSE and SLED installs....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Yes probably. The problem is that 8.1 will rewrite the entire /boot/efi partition And wipe out the openSUSE stuff. Not very friendly is it

I believe that that if you backup the /boot/efi/opensuse It may be possible to restore it You may also need to change the order of boot in the UEFI boot menu.

@Malcom,

I'm itching to do that - so I can use the 32GB SSD as system dir, but not now. This is my daughter's laptop, at college they use a bunch of windows-only apps, and due to BricsCAD a VM won't do because of the intel HD GPU, currently only supported by redsdk on windows - the 3D tech used by BricsCAD 3D modeling. She's studying mechanical engineering and got a student license for BricsCAD Platinum, so she needs a real (as opposed to virtual) windows machine... Hopefully in a few months/next year redsdk will expand their support on linux (only nvidia and ATI for now) and she can ditch W8.

@gogalthorp

Ah, thanks. I remember seeing that when installing oS. I'll see if I can find out how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Laptop HP Pavilion 14 (what HP calls a "sleekbook"), dualbooting oS 13.1 64-bit KDE4.11 and W8.

Today I had to connect to the internet to access a site that would not work with FF on oS 13.1. The dumb site works in IE, however . I then got a notice that W8.1 free upgrade was available in their store. It was quite difficult to leave the notice without installing it, most annoying.
    Curiosity...

If you don't mind, what site was that?

I usually avoid anything that pushy, it makes me suspicious.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

just when windows was starting to be nice and the mime of Bill as a ST "borg" was starting to wain

It's BACK !
    http://www.cd-factory.com/TSHIRT/t_cu.jpg

Blog Entries

On Thu 20 Feb 2014 03:36:01 AM CST, brunomcl wrote:

@Malcom,

I'm itching to do that - so I can use the 32GB SSD as system dir, but
    not now. This is my daughter's laptop, at college they use a bunch of
    windows-only apps, and due to BricsCAD a VM won't do because of the
    intel HD GPU, currently only supported by redsdk on windows - the 3D
    tech used by BricsCAD 3D modeling. She's studying mechanical engineering
    and got a student license for BricsCAD Platinum, so she needs a real (as
    opposed to virtual) windows machine... Hopefully in a few months/next
    year redsdk will expand their support on linux (only nvidia and ATI for
    now) and she can ditch W8.
    Hi
    I have a script to backup the efi and gpt data;
    http://paste.opensuse.org/79c82618

My HP 2000 has an ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 7340] GPU my current HDD in
    there is a WD Black 320GB @6Gbps, I had various setups with windows 8
    on a second drive in a caddy and no dvd, ssd etc, but settled on the
    above and meets my requirements.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    My question is: If I allow the upgrade to W8.1, will it break the boot menu/grub2 (like, perhaps, booting directly into windows)? If so, what measures should I take to prevent or fix it?
    Yes, it will boot straight into Windows after the 8.1 upgrade.

I did not have any problems getting back to opensuse. But that probably depends on the UEFI implementation, and on your experience with working around UEFI problems.

In my case, the opensuse NVRAM entry was still there, but no longer the default. So I had to use F8 during boot and select opensuse (or opensuse-secureboot).

I don't think it erased the EFI partition. I'm pretty sure everything was still there.

As for where grub is installed -- booting is from "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse" (which is a directory).
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

I had a similar experience as the previous poster and agree:

HTML Code:
    depends on the UEFI implementation
    The one complication that I had was that the upgrade to windows 8.1 takes some space from one of the windows partitions and creates an addition small partition. The affect was to move (say) sda7 (which was were my opensuse installation was) to sda8. When I then booted opensuse it failed (until I corrected it) as it was looking for opensuse on sda7.

So am not sure making a copy of your efi/boot settings before upgrading (???) to 8.1 would help as the grub2-efi pointers would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Curiosity...

If you don't mind, what site was that?
    Not at all: http://www.mat.uel.br/geometrica/

If I click on the side menu (doesn't happen in all entries) I get the following errors:

Code:
    Warning:  Unknown(E:\net\sites\www.mat.uel.br\geometrica\home.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
    Warning:  (null)(): Failed opening 'E:\net\sites\www.mat.uel.br\geometrica\home.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in Unknown on line 0
    It's a college site for geometry students, not a scam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast