Thread: Boot only in recovery mode after update

Default Boot only in recovery mode after update

Hi all,
    today I started my pc (Opensuse 13.1x64) and I did the recommended updates - for some reason I rebooted and I cannot log in; I noticed that now my system is 13.2 and I can only boot in "recovery mode"

I cannot even start yast - I get the following error:
    usr/sbin/yast: line 429: 2738 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

finally, my system has an AMD card, and I was using the proprietary driver; now, it cannot find it - and since yast is not working I am not sure how to update

any help is more than welcome since this is my work pc!!!

Default Re: Boot only in recovery mode after update

Quote Originally Posted by darlac View Post
    Hi all,
    today I started my pc (Opensuse 13.1x64) and I did the recommended updates - for some reason I rebooted and I cannot log in; I noticed that now my system is 13.2 and I can only boot in "recovery mode"
    Apparently you added the Factory repo to your system.
    For yast to work again, you most likely need to manually install libyui-ncurses-pkg6, libyui-qt-pkg6, or libyui-gtk-pkg6 (depending on your desktop environment or whether you want to run it in text mode) in that case.

But I guess you don't really want to run Factory (i.e. the unstable development repo for the next openSUSE version), do you?

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    If my suspicion is correct, you should remove the Factory repo again and switch your system back to 13.1 by running:
    Code:
    zypper dup
    But depending on the repos you added this might not be safe either.

So please post the list for further advise.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Feb-2014 at 12:31.

Default Re: Boot only in recovery mode after update

Hi Wolfi323,
    indeed this was the problem - I "accidentally" (in reality I have to use a stronger word on myself....) added the factory repo; I removed it (using zypper) - and actually removed all 3rd party repos - and did the upgrade; the system is fully restored

thanks