Thread: measuring true pixel count

jdd NNTP User

Default measuring true pixel count

Hello,
    For a problem discussed in an other thread, I have a display smaller than the monitor size, though looking as full pixel count.

my monitor is a full HD 23" 1920x1080. xrander say the print is 1920x1080 when what I see is a complete kde screen (including all borders), with very small letters and a black border all around of approx 2cm wide.

I guess my monitor can't display pixels that small and the real display is not 1920x1080.

is there some rule I could display to measure the pixel number?

thanks
    jdd

Default Re: measuring true pixel count

Quote Originally Posted by jdd View Post
    is there some rule I could display to measure the pixel number?
    If you have KDE, the utility KRuler installed by default (IIRC) will display pixel counts with a pointer, and you can move the ruler to any position. I haven't tried it on a Gnome destop though.

However that may only do relative pixel counts from your point of view.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

jdd NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    If you have KDE, the utility KRuler installed by default (IIRC) will display pixel counts with a pointer, and you can move the ruler to any position. I haven't tried it on a Gnome destop though.

However that may only do relative pixel counts from your point of view.
    exactly what I needed, thanks

jdd

jdd NNTP User

don't works.

kde is pretty sure the display is 1920x1080, even if it's not the case, so kruler also :-(

don't works.

kde is pretty sure the display is 1920x1080, even if it's not the case, so kruler also :-(
    Does your monitor have any controls and "on-screen display" for adjusting the image size to match the screen dimensions?

Other than that, there could be a problem with the Mode Line being used by the X system configuration to set up the screen geometry. Detals of that are to be found in the current /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

jdd NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Does your monitor have any controls and "on-screen display" for adjusting the image size to match the screen dimensions?

Other than that, there could be a problem with the Mode Line being used by the X system configuration to set up the screen geometry. Detals of that are to be found in the current /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
    no, and this only happen in failsafe mode (using fbdev), not in standard (nouveau) mode

jdd

no, and this only happen in failsafe mode (using fbdev), not in standard (nouveau) mode
    You might try to set a different "Console Resolution" in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options.
    The fbdev driver should respect that and use it for the graphical mode.

The default "Autodetect by grub2" doesn't work too well with nvidia cards AFAIK.