Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

  1. #1

    Default openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

    Hello,

    I don't know how but today after rebooting my server with openSuse 12.1 I saw that in KDM with the green SuSE theme the chameleon in the lower right position was replaced by a red text saying "based on openSuSE". Although this is just an optical issue I would like to have the chameleon back.

    In the desktop also green with the openSuse theme, the chameleon is still there.

    Can anybody help me?

    Thank You!

    Bye

    honterus0

  2. #2

    Default Re: openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

    Quote Originally Posted by honterus0 View Post
    Hello,

    I don't know how but today after rebooting my server with openSuse 12.1 I saw that in KDM with the green SuSE theme the chameleon in the lower right position was replaced by a red text saying "based on openSuSE". Although this is just an optical issue I would like to have the chameleon back.

    In the desktop also green with the openSuse theme, the chameleon is still there.

    Can anybody help me?
    You probably installed kdm-branding-basedonopensuse for some reason.
    Install kdm-branding-openSUSE and everything should be like before.

    Btw, 12.1 is not supported anymore since May last year.
    This means that the online repos are not available anymore.
    But you can find mirrors of the standard repos at least here:
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mirrors#EOL_mirrors
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Feb-2014 at 10:50.

  3. #3

    Default Re: openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

    Hello wolfi323,

    both brandings were installed don't ask me why. I unstalled the one called "...based on opensuse" and updated the one as You suggested but the problem remains the same.
    It's strange because the problem occurred after I rebootet the server. This was necessary because it was hanging somehow. After the reboot I got a warning for the primary disk with some inconsistency which I repaired using the ext 4 journals.

    Then I saw the problem. I have the feeling that some other file is pointing on some wrong point and therefor the chameleon is missing.

    Any other hints?

    Btw. I have several openSuSE 12.1 PCs running and if I knew which file I need to replace I could take the file from another PC and put it to the convenient place manually but I have no clue.

    Thanks however

    honterus0

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

    Quote Originally Posted by honterus0 View Post
    both brandings were installed don't ask me why. I unstalled the one called "...based on opensuse" and updated the one as You suggested but the problem remains the same.
    Well, if you had _both_ installed, just uninstalling the one could leave the files on the disk.
    Try to re-install kdm-branding-openSUSE then.
    Either in YaST, select "Update package", or even "Update package unconditonally" (not sure how it was like in 12.1), or run:
    Code:
    zypper in -f kdm-branding-openSUSE
    It's strange because the problem occurred after I rebootet the server. This was necessary because it was hanging somehow. After the reboot I got a warning for the primary disk with some inconsistency which I repaired using the ext 4 journals.
    This configuration only gets read when kdm is restarted, so that would explain why it happened after the reboot I guess.

    And the inconsistency in the file system could explain a change as well.

    Maybe you should check the hard disk for errors?
    But if you rebooted the system after a hang it's of course normal that there are inconsistencies.

    Btw, you might want to check /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, that's where the kdm theme was configured in 12.1 I think. (there should be a line DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME="openSUSE", if that's different change it)

  5. #5

    Default Solved: openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

    Hello,

    I tested all the procedures proposed by wolfi323, but unfortunatelly non of it was successfull. Then I digged deeper in the system and the file which I needed to replace. The file is located in /usr/share/wallpapers/openSUSEdefault/contents/images/ and there I replaced the file for my monitor resolution. I don't understand why on one PC it contains the chameleon and on the others not but that is not important.

    Thank You anyway for Your advices.

    Bye

    honterus0

  6. #6

    Default Re: Solved: openSuse 12.1 Chameleon in KDM replaced by red text "based on openSuSE"

    Quote Originally Posted by honterus0 View Post
    Hello,

    I tested all the procedures proposed by wolfi323, but unfortunatelly non of it was successfull. Then I digged deeper in the system and the file which I needed to replace. The file is located in /usr/share/wallpapers/openSUSEdefault/contents/images/ and there I replaced the file for my monitor resolution. I don't understand why on one PC it contains the chameleon and on the others not but that is not important.

    Thank You anyway for Your advices.

    Bye

    honterus0
    Sorry. Those wallpapers are part of the package "wallpapers-branding-openSUSE". Probably you have "wallpapers-branding-basedonopensuse" installed instead then.
    So switch this to "wallpapers-branding-openSUSE".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •