Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Booting Problem after Update?

Blog Entries

Default New Booting Problem after Update?

No doubt I shall be told I should know the answer but here goes. I have a new 64 bit machine and which has been set up with multiple boot using grub either to openSUSE 13.1 or Windoze 7. (I need the latter for accounting and am still on virtual machine learning curve. )

I have been using this machine in non critical applications with both OSs and on each occasion it has booted without any problem and I have been able to select the OS from the grub menu. There has been the odd update proposed, which I have accepted for both OSs from time to time but I couldn't give details as now when I try and start and after the BIOS tests have run I just get to a screen with text "GRUB" and then nothing. In other words the booting process stalls.

I am not sure if this might be an hardware issue (two drives are installed) or a corruption of booting configuration. My question is what is safest way to begin investigation please.

Default Re: New Booting Problem after Update?

On 2014-02-18, Budgie2 <Budgie2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > No doubt I shall be told I should know the answer but here goes.

Not at all. Dual boots, especially with Windows, is not as straightforward as Distro guides tend to suggest.

> There has been the odd
    > update proposed, which I have accepted for both OSs from time to time
    > but I couldn't give details

Assuming your desktop environment is KDE, did you use Apper to update. Or did you use YaST or zypper? Or something else?

> as now when I try and start and after the
    > BIOS tests have run I just get to a screen with text "GRUB" and then
    > nothing. In other words the booting process stalls.

Just to confirm - you see only a blank screen with the text `GRUB' - not GRUB version specified and no boot menu?

> I am not sure if this might be an hardware issue (two drives are
    > installed) or a corruption of booting configuration. My question is
    > what is safest way to begin investigation please.

Do you have a CD/DVD drive? If so, can you boot into a Live KDE/GNOME version of openSUSE?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    > No doubt I shall be told I should know the answer but here goes.

Not at all. Dual boots, especially with Windows, is not as straightforward as Distro guides tend to suggest.

True. In fact because I had to install on one drive and then add second drive, I had to fiddle with drive identities to get things working but all has been fine until now.

> There has been the odd
    > update proposed, which I have accepted for both OSs from time to time
    > but I couldn't give details

Assuming your desktop environment is KDE, did you use Apper to update. Or did you use YaST or zypper? Or something else?

Your assumptions are correct and the updates have been the semi-automatic ones using Apper.

> as now when I try and start and after the
    > BIOS tests have run I just get to a screen with text "GRUB" and then
    > nothing. In other words the booting process stalls.

Just to confirm - you see only a blank screen with the text `GRUB' - not GRUB version specified and no boot menu?

Correct. Just blank screen with GRUB. Not GRUB2 nor anything else.
    As I write I do recall one possible source of the problem. When booting was working the Grub menu offered an earlier version of openSUSE. (There are threads on this not being updated during upgrade) I did try and find the offending script using Yast > System > Boot Loader > Options so that I could edit it, but I couldn't find the offending text so backed out. It is possible I messed up here!

> I am not sure if this might be an hardware issue (two drives are
    > installed) or a corruption of booting configuration. My question is
    > what is safest way to begin investigation please.

Do you have a CD/DVD drive? If so, can you boot into a Live KDE/GNOME version of openSUSE?
    Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would be helpful.

Many thanks for your help.
    Budgie

try to chroot in live session and try
    Code:
             grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    or maybe try to move grub to MBR potentionaly??
    13.2 KDE 64bit tumbleweed
    Lenovo G500s, Thinkpad R500

> Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn
    > one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would
    > be helpful.

I don't know what's on the Linux Format DVDs. In the interests of gaining the support of the greatest number of forum
    users here, it would probably be a good idea for you to burn at least one openSUSE 13.1 Live version.

On 2014-02-18 18:38, flymail wrote:
    > On 2014-02-18, Budgie2 <Budgie2@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >> Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn
    >> one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would
    >> be helpful.

>
    > I don't know what's on the Linux Format DVDs. In the interests of gaining the support of the greatest number of forum
    > users here, it would probably be a good idea for you to burn at least one openSUSE 13.1 Live version.

I would recommend the XFCE rescue image from the opensuse.org download
    page. It fits a CD, but if used on a USB stick it adds persistence. It
    has some different tools than the gnome/kde images which are of interest
    for repair operations, but it is not installable.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    > Yes I should be able to boot into a live CD/DVD but will have to burn
    > one. Which do you suggest? I also have Linux Format DVDs if they would
    > be helpful.

I don't know what's on the Linux Format DVDs. In the interests of gaining the support of the greatest number of forum
    users here, it would probably be a good idea for you to burn at least one openSUSE 13.1 Live version.
    Hi and yes of course. Will do this but meanwhile I have tried the original installation (Network Install) CD and it offered a Rescue System. Once selected and if I login as root I get Rescue prompt but I have not a clue what next!!!
    At least I do not seem to have an hardware fault.

Budgie2

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi and yes of course. Will do this but meanwhile I have tried the original installation (Network Install) CD and it offered a Rescue System. Once selected and if I login as root I get Rescue prompt but I have not a clue what next!!!
    See here, that should work from the netinstall CD's rescue prompt as well:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/content....rom-DVD-Rescue

But please note that on 13.1 /proc and /sys are not in the fstab anymore by default, so you might have to mount them slightly differently.
    Instead of:
    Code:
    mount /proc
    run
    Code:
    mount -t proc proc /proc
    And instead of:
    Code:
    mount /sys
    run
    Code:
    mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    No doubt I shall be told I should know the answer but here goes. I have a new 64 bit machine and which has been set up with multiple boot using grub either to openSUSE 13.1 or Windoze 7. (I need the latter for accounting and am still on virtual machine learning curve. )

I have been using this machine in non critical applications with both OSs and on each occasion it has booted without any problem and I have been able to select the OS from the grub menu. There has been the odd update proposed, which I have accepted for both OSs from time to time but I couldn't give details as now when I try and start and after the BIOS tests have run I just get to a screen with text "GRUB" and then nothing. In other words the booting process stalls.

I am not sure if this might be an hardware issue (two drives are installed) or a corruption of booting configuration. My question is what is safest way to begin investigation please.
    ...just in case this is the problem:

I have seen that happen when the Active or Boot flag gets turned off, or the MBR is overwritten with a generic one.

It may be that your Grub is installed in your root partition, and the Boot flag has been disabled.

Check, and if that is the case, set the boot flag in your SUSE root partition and see if that is the solution.

Use that Rescue option you mentioned, and when you are logged into the Rescue session as root and have the Rescue prompt, probably in a red font:

Rescue:~#

Do
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    This will list your drives and partitions. Double-check which is the drive that you installed on to make certain you will be using the right drive and right partition when you run commands on the disk.

None of the partitions have the * under the Boot column, if no boot partition has been set. Look at your SUSE partitions, particularly root partition. If there is no Boot flag set, then:

I will pretend that your root partition is sdb1. You correct it to match your system:

Do:
    Code:
    parted
    You will now have a prompt
    (parted)

Do:
    Code:
    select /dev/sdb
    You should get a confirmation message that the device is now selected.

Do:
    Code:
    set 1 boot
    That is to set/reset the 1st partition's boot flag.

It will prompt you with the line "New state?"

Do:
    Code:
    on
    When it is confirmed, do:
    Code:
    quit
    You will be back at the Rescue:~# prompt.

Do:
    Code:
    reboot
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    ...just in case this is the problem:

I have seen that happen when the Active or Boot flag gets turned off, or the MBR is overwritten with a generic one.

It may be that your Grub is installed in your root partition, and the Boot flag has been disabled.

Check, and if that is the case, set the boot flag in your SUSE root partition and see if that is the solution.

Use that Rescue option you mentioned, and when you are logged into the Rescue session as root and have the Rescue prompt, probably in a red font:

Rescue:~#

Do
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    This will list your drives and partitions. Double-check which is the drive that you installed on to make certain you will be using the right drive and right partition when you run commands on the disk.

None of the partitions have the * under the Boot column, if no boot partition has been set. Look at your SUSE partitions, particularly root partition. If there is no Boot flag set, then:

I will pretend that your root partition is sdb1. You correct it to match your system:

Do:
    Code:
    parted
    You will now have a prompt
    (parted)

Do:
    Code:
    select /dev/sdb
    You should get a confirmation message that the device is now selected.

Do:
    Code:
    set 1 boot
    That is to set/reset the 1st partition's boot flag.

It will prompt you with the line "New state?"

Do:
    Code:
    on
    When it is confirmed, do:
    Code:
    quit
    You will be back at the Rescue:~# prompt.

Do:
    Code:
    reboot
    Brilliant diagnosis. That was it. several * present, one on each drive in fact but none on root partition. Did what you directed and am up and running again. Many many thanks for saving me hours of work.
    Best wishes,
    Budgie2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast