Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: User password

  1. #1

    Default User password

    Hey everyone, I've had this one issue that is REALLY getting annoying. How in the world do I stop the system from asking for my root password every time I want to do something.....like even mounting my Winblows partition asks for it. Speaking of that, how do I set it to auto mount?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: User password

    On 2014-02-18 01:16, randyman wrote:
    >
    > Hey everyone, I've had this one issue that is REALLY getting annoying.
    > How in the world do I stop the system from asking for my root password
    > every time I want to do something.....


    Mmmm. You'd better get used to it. Things like that make Linux a safer
    environment, like no viruses.

    Give exact examples of what things you want to do, and maybe we can find
    ways.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3

    Default Re: User password

    Well say the example of mounting the windows partition. I understand the whole safety thing, prevent people from mucking it up, it's just a royal pain. But if it's gotta stay it's gotta stay.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,671
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: User password

    Quote Originally Posted by randyman View Post
    Well say the example of mounting the windows partition. I understand the whole safety thing, prevent people from mucking it up, it's just a royal pain. But if it's gotta stay it's gotta stay.
    If you want your Windows partition to auto-mount, you can do that with an entry in "/etc/fstab". It will require root to make that entry, but after that it will auto-mount on bootup.

    I usually configure that during install. But I'm pretty sure that you can use Yast partitioner to create the entry for you.

    Try this:

    Yast --> System --> Partitioner

    Ignore the warning (i.e. continue). You can abort without saving anything, at a later point.

    You should see a display of existing partitions. Find the partition you want to mount. Right click, and select "Edit".

    Check the box for "Mount partition". Enter the mount point (where you want it mounted).

    Be careful that the box to format the partition is not checked. If in doubt, you can click the abort button. If you click the "Finish" button, it should add an entry, with reasonable defaults, for mounting your windows partition.

    I suggest you go through it once as a trial run, then abort. Then, when you are comfortable with doing it, you carry through to completion.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: User password

    On 2014-02-18 01:46, randyman wrote:
    >
    > Well say the example of mounting the windows partition. I understand
    > the whole safety thing, prevent people from mucking it up, it's just a
    > royal pain. But if it's gotta stay it's gotta stay.


    It depends on your desktop.

    In my case, I create entries in fstab for my Windows partitions, like this:

    Code:
    
    > UUID="D89260D89260BD1E"                         /windows/C              ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,fmask=0117,dmask=0007,locale=en_US.UTF-8           0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9500325AS_5VE68QJX-part3  /windows/recovery       ntfs-3g ro,noauto,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8        0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9500325AS_5VE68QJX-part1  /windows/system         ntfs-3g ro,noauto,users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8        0 0

    Of course, the identifiers will be different for you.

    However, notice that, at least in 13.1, I can not mount them as user,
    but the first one is mounted automatically on boot (the other two have
    "noauto" option).

    mount as user fails because the driver is not setuid - and maybe not
    even if I do:

    Code:
    
    > cer@minas-tirith:~> mount /windows/C
    > Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS block devices using the external FUSE
    > library. Either mount the volume as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated
    > FUSE support and make it setuid root. Please see more information at
    > http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged
    If you want to click and mount... I read here somebody else doing that
    way, he described what to change in order to automount without being
    root. But as it is a trick I don't use, I don't remember it. And I don't
    keep my full notes in this laptop, so I can't find the trick to post here.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: User password

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Check the box for "Mount partition". Enter the mount point (where you want it mounted).

    Be careful that the box to format the partition is not checked. If in doubt, you can click the abort button. If you click the "Finish" button, it should add an entry, with reasonable defaults, for mounting your windows partition.

    I suggest you go through it once as a trial run, then abort. Then, when you are comfortable with doing it, you carry through to completion.
    The mount point can be typed in as something like "/windows/Win7_C".

    In that same YaST box, click the "Fstab Options..." button and you can select other options like read-only or no access time.

    There's a lengthy discussion of this at https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ons-at-Startup

    Howard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •